Notices

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Indeed it is a potentially good application, but still rough around the edges.

Did you have a play with the 'lead' option? This should fix the problem you have with seeing where you are going better and keeping your 'dot' closer to the lower side of the screen.

Settings -> Auto-Center -> Lead Amount

What I'd love to see is the ability to calculate routing on the N900 itself, unfortunately Google doesn't work for me. I keep getting "Invalid source or destination" - Never once has this feature actually worked.

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
What I'd love to see is the ability to calculate routing on the N900 itself, unfortunately Google doesn't work for me. I keep getting "Invalid source or destination" - Never once has this feature actually worked.
It would be possible to implement this without altering Mappero itself and instead just use a local webserver that accepts the destination, etc., and returns the same set of waypoints as expected to come from Google.

In terms of the backend, locally hosted OSM data might be a goer, and there are iirc projects that already use this (does Navit...?) to do offline route calcs.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Indeed it is a potentially good application, but still rough around the edges.

Did you have a play with the 'lead' option? This should fix the problem you have with seeing where you are going better and keeping your 'dot' closer to the lower side of the screen.

Settings -> Auto-Center -> Lead Amount
Doesn't work for me on n900 I tried all possible combination of Lead Amount (Fixed, Speed base) with all possible sensitivity. Can Move my dot to the bottom of the screen no matter what.
Could others verify it?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
It would be possible to implement this without altering Mappero itself and instead just use a local webserver that accepts the destination, etc., and returns the same set of waypoints as expected to come from Google.

In terms of the backend, locally hosted OSM data might be a goer, and there are iirc projects that already use this (does Navit...?) to do offline route calcs.
Navit uses the vector data to begin with, so it's an easy feature to support. The problem with tile-based nav apps like Mappero is that they don't "know" anything about the map. It seems to me that one might as well just switch to an app that uses vector data rather than tack on a whole new nav app-within-an-app and require both types of data to be stored.

Edit: My recent take on this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57698

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-07-08 at 14:27.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Navit uses the vector data to begin with, so it's an easy feature to support. The problem with tile-based nav apps like Mappero is that they don't "know" anything about the map. It seems to me that one might as well just switch to an app that uses vector data rather than tack on a whole new nav app-within-an-app.

Edit: My recent take on this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57698
That's the thing though, the routing app has nothing to do with Mappero, it can be completely stand-alone and only accessed as a local webservice.

I agree though that a vector map method is probably better for a fair few reasons, but the features and map data that Mappero provides are hard to argue with, and the stand-alone webserver is then a way for a shared routing service backend to be developed without worrying about what the frontends might look like and what type of map data they choose to use.

Originally Posted by e0x View Post
enable the GPS ( is enable by default i thing ) and just follow the route.
( this will enable again a red line which is you track )
Can Anyone tell me how to start voice navigation.. i enabled all things in anouncement but still nothings come up.. am in india

Hey, I've had no luck whatsoever in getting Mappero to work. I can get started with navigation, but a few minutes into it.....CRASH. This happens repeatedly for me, even after a device restart and with no other apps running. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

hasn't crashed often (couple of times only over a couple of days of testing) but does become temporarily unresponsive at times, is very resource hungry, and is very flaky when trying to calculate new routes. This is defiitely an app that's in -devel for a reason, so adjust your expectations accordingly. The developer seems to be busy with his own life at present so I guess we wait until he (hopefully) gets time/inclination to resume work, and we then hope that he'll work on stability/performance as well a new features. Fingers crossed! Until then, if you are using it, try to avoid having other stuff (eg. media player, intrnet radio or whatever) running at the same time, that will probably help?

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
For me it crashes reliably if I try to 'look around' while it is trying to center on GPS.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland, Vaasa
Mine started to crash when i upgraded to the newest version