Active Topics

I'm trying to connect to my VzW Razr via BT DUN w/o success. My setup works with my laptop w/o issue so I think I've narrowed the issue down to the CHAP authentication issues that others have identified. I performed this edit on my laptop and its a simple fix but I'm lost doing this on my new N770. So far, I get as far as installing/running Xterm and then get root access via the "sudo gainroot" command (I installed becomeroot but I'm not sure that matters or not) but when I enter "vi /etc/ppp/option" its blank. After messing with this for more time than I want to admit, I guess I need noob instructions on how to use vi to edit the file

- Mr. T

it's options, not option. ls is your friend here.

Originally Posted by Mr. Tableteer View Post
I'm trying to connect to my VzW Razr via BT DUN w/o success. My setup works with my laptop w/o issue so I think I've narrowed the issue down to the CHAP authentication issues that others have identified. I performed this edit on my laptop and its a simple fix but I'm lost doing this on my new N770. So far, I get as far as installing/running Xterm and then get root access via the "sudo gainroot" command (I installed becomeroot but I'm not sure that matters or not) but when I enter "vi /etc/ppp/option" its blank. After messing with this for more time than I want to admit, I guess I need noob instructions on how to use vi to edit the file

- Mr. T
VI question. What do you use for the escape key?

Bob

The escape key is the button with the curving arrow on it (just below the D-pad). It's all in the leaflet that came with the N800 ..

Another little trick I use all the time: When I'm editing (or ls'ing or whatever else) files or directories that I expect to exist, I only enter the first very few letters and then just <tab> to see what's there. Much quicker, and you avoid the file/directory spelling errors.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Another little trick I use all the time: When I'm editing (or ls'ing or whatever else) files or directories that I expect to exist, I only enter the first very few letters and then just <tab> to see what's there. Much quicker, and you avoid the file/directory spelling errors.
Tab-competion is built into virtually every Linux/UN*X shell. I'd feel really odd coming across one that didn't have it.

Better watch out though: Before you know it, you'll be tabbing in Windows command shell, only to be sorely disappointed -- as is usual with Windows.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
The escape key is the button with the curving arrow on it (just below the D-pad). It's all in the leaflet that came with the N800 ..
Thanks, except I have a 770. I didn't say that did I? However, I don't see any key like that unless it's hidden by the keyboard.

Bob

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by urban1 View Post
Thanks, except I have a 770. I didn't say that did I? However, I don't see any key like that unless it's hidden by the keyboard.

Bob
It's the same frakkin' key, in the same frakkin' spot.

Originally Posted by urban1 View Post
Bob
It's a _hardware_key, to the left of the screen.. it's not on the software kbd.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Better watch out though: Before you know it, you'll be tabbing in Windows command shell, only to be sorely disappointed -- as is usual with Windows.
Far be it from me to defend Windows, but the Windows command shell does have tab completion capability (before it had to be activated with a weird registry hack, now I think it's on by default). It works differently than Un*x tho: for multiple possible completions of a partially typed target, it cycles to a new possible completion each time you hit tab. Kinda nice really.