Posts: 88 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ London
hello......got my n900 in jan 2010....been reading the forums for sometime since november 2009.....decided to join so that i can give my opinions and asks my doubts.....from London....cheers

Orion 88

The Following User Says Thank You to orion88freedom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
Hello guys! I'm a college student in the U.S. and I recently bought a n900 (kinda late to the game) and i love it! I've been floating around this site for a few days and from my observations I must say this community is pretty cool (i guess by cool i mean geeky) with some surprisingly intelligent individuals. I guess the personalities here must be pretty unique if we're willing to buy an expensive, non-mainstream linux device that relies on it's members to come up with apps for it...

The Following User Says Thank You to te37v For This Useful Post:
helllooo world!!!
i'm a french guy who love is N900, i'm sure this community will be so helpfull!
C U everyone!

The Following User Says Thank You to lopium For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Northern California
Greetings from Northern California! Recently bought the N900 largely on Kyle Rankin's recommendation in a Linux Journal article. Spent a few weeks researching it online and finally placed the order. Amazing device. I've been using Ubuntu on several desktops and even netbooks for some time, so the N900's approach isn't entirely unfamiliar, though the interface and a few specifics are taking a bit to get used to. Will be posting on occasion when unable to find answers in the forums.

The Following User Says Thank You to opensecretmedia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
Welcome!!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to te37v For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Malmö, Sweden
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Lots of - we just don't usually append ">>>>FEMALE!!!<<<<" to our usernames.
I get it. I wanted to choose a "feminine" avatar, just for visibility - so that people just don't assume that internet is all male - but I think I have to get more Karma before being allowed avatar and/or signature with my posts.

Welcome to the mad world of Maemo! You should really start investigating - if not to help with writing application (which everybody would love you for ), at least just because there's a lot of fun to be had when hacking your own little phone computer.
Thank you! My first "hack" was to import my old WIndows Mobile contacts by copying a script from the forum and putting it on my n900, and even though I was following instructions it feels nice to be in the terminal.

But where to start with coding? Does everybody need C++? Or is it OK to dive into this Qt thing? I guess there's a lot of guides on the netz... It'll have to be next month, when my brain has cooled down a bit.

Anyways, I'm enjoying being able to surf anytime, and my RSS feed which encouraged me to find interesting chinese blogs. I'm a China buff.

XO

The Following User Says Thank You to monster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Old member returning...

I joined back in 2007 just before purchasing my n800, which I carried with me everywhere until about six months ago. Then the screen went bad and I could find no solution. The poor little guy sat on my dresser for weeks as I learned to live without him and soon stopped coming to maemo.org on a daily basis.

Wracked with withdrawal symptoms, I became a daily reader of engadget.com and pocketables.net, looking for the logical successor to my lovely little Nate. Sad thing is that while there are a lot of tablets out there, most are not available (or available yet) in the US, and none (IMHO) are a match for the Nokia product.

So I finally shopped victoriously on eBay and am now the very happy owner of an n810.

THIS FORUM is one of the reasons I bought my first Nokia tablet and a major reason I opted to buy a second. The support from the people in this forum is amazing, so if you're new to Maemo, welcome... if you own an IT, you will be glad you came in here.

DF
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DistantFire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
Old member returning...

I joined back in 2007 just before purchasing my n800, which I carried with me everywhere until about six months ago. Then the screen went bad and I could find no solution. The poor little guy sat on my dresser for weeks as I learned to live without him and soon stopped coming to maemo.org on a daily basis.

Wracked with withdrawal symptoms, I became a daily reader of engadget.com and pocketables.net, looking for the logical successor to my lovely little Nate. Sad thing is that while there are a lot of tablets out there, most are not available (or available yet) in the US, and none (IMHO) are a match for the Nokia product.

So I finally shopped victoriously on eBay and am now the very happy owner of an n810.

THIS FORUM is one of the reasons I bought my first Nokia tablet and a major reason I opted to buy a second. The support from the people in this forum is amazing, so if you're new to Maemo, welcome... if you own an IT, you will be glad you came in here.

DF
The same thing happened to my N800 a year ago, but I immediately bought another new N800 on eBay. Welcome back!

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I get it. I wanted to choose a "feminine" avatar, just for visibility - so that people just don't assume that internet is all male -
Hehe, being of the "gender doesn't matter" faction, I usually don't care whether people think we're not out there. But I found that most of them realise it once I get one of my *****y fits...

but I think I have to get more Karma before being allowed avatar and/or signature with my posts.
Don't you get the links in your control panel under "Settings & Options"? If not, I'm sure it's not related to the number of thanks, but maybe you just need 10 posts or something like that?

I'm rather sure I uploaded my avatar pretty soon after joining, so whatever the restriction is it should be easy to go past it.

Thank you! My first "hack" was to import my old WIndows Mobile contacts by copying a script from the forum and putting it on my n900, and even though I was following instructions it feels nice to be in the terminal.
I hear you! Apart from the obvious advantage of being able to change almost everything to your liking, it's this feeling of "being in control" of that little thing in your pocket that makes it such a great experience.

But where to start with coding? Does everybody need C++? Or is it OK to dive into this Qt thing? I guess there's a lot of guides on the netz... It'll have to be next month, when my brain has cooled down a bit.
Well, it depends. You can either go with Qt (which sadly requires C++, but at least takes away some of it's annoyances) or with PyQt, which would offer they same functionality using Python. Or of course the GTK bindings of either language.

If you want to be "future prove", rather grasp the nettle and go with Qt and C++. It's quite amazing how easy it is do develop any N900 application from within the Qt SDK that will then work on Symbian3 phones (or your desktop) as well. And of course on MeeGo, once it's out.

Anyways, I'm enjoying being able to surf anytime, and my RSS feed which encouraged me to find interesting chinese blogs. I'm a China buff.

XO
Hehe, if I wasn't seriously lacking the language skills I guess I'd do the same with Korea and Japan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Malmö, Sweden
Hehe, being of the "gender doesn't matter" faction, I usually don't care whether people think we're not out there. But I found that most of them realise it once I get one of my *****y fits...
Haha! I understand your position but feel that many women would be more inclined to approach the community if there wasn't this image of a testosteron wall surrounding all things geeky.

Don't you get the links in your control panel under "Settings & Options"? If not, I'm sure it's not related to the number of thanks, but maybe you just need 10 posts or something like that?

I'm rather sure I uploaded my avatar pretty soon after joining, so whatever the restriction is it should be easy to go past it.
Actually, today those links suddenly appeared. That made me feel welcomed.

Thanks for the advice on developing. Maybe I'll throw out something fun in a few months.

Hehe, if I wasn't seriously lacking the language skills I guess I'd do the same with Korea and Japan.
Sadly, I can only understand the ones written in english... so far.

•Fairly new to the N900.
•Wants to learn to develop when I have the time.
•Used to write Basic 2.0 on the C64 back in 1990.

Favourite app: Feedingit

Tags
bada boom, bada rox, hotelcalifornia, new users, newbie, newmo!, w2tmo, welcome to maemo.org