Active Topics

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
I'm not really seeing who's advocating them giving up cheap phones...
Yeah, I may have read a bit too much into it, sorry. But I have read countless posts here and elsewhere advocating Nokia to give up cheap phones, even as far as suggesting they should only make one/a couple of models like Apple. But it seems we're in agreement, including the off-topic part.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by superg05 View Post
yes and see where its gotten them

If I was any of Nokia’s shareholders right now I would seriously be disgusted to see this.

I mean Nokia as valuable as RIM. Come on Nokia what are you doing ?!?!?!?!?

This chart shows Apple’s market cap at roughly $247 billion exactly the same market cap Nokia had in 2000 a full 10 years ago, oh how time flies. Shows how much Nokia has become complacent and possibilities of Nokia being overtaken as the world’s largest mobile phone maker is a certainty and I can’t help but thinking that no one at Nokia is serious enough to become great as it once was. It is important for big European companies to stay relevant in the world stage especially Nokia, we don’t want( well i don’t) a world where tech companies are only from America and far eastern Asia. It would be nice to see European tech companies doing well.
souce: http://mynokiablog.com/2010/06/22/gulp/
This chart means most investissor are like teenage girls, they follow the trend. They look at the current profit of each firm but hardly anticipate any change in the market. I guess that for most of them MeeGo is flying under their radar or in the case they heard about it they hardly looked at the technology... Anyway MeeGo is something like 6 month away, and it is far away for traders. So the situation is that most of them doesn't see the potential, and if they do, they are waiting an upward trend before to invest. I don't expect any upward trends before autumn since Nokia's quaterly results are going to be bad for te next two quarter (profit warning announced).

Last edited by bzhbok; 2010-07-09 at 16:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to bzhbok For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by bzhbok View Post
This chart means most investissor are like teenage girls, they follow the trend.
Couldn't disagree more. It shows that the shareholder has endured a drop, based on sales yet falling marketshare - their best selling products are from their mid to low-range products and that will only do so much for a company.

Investors that don't immediately see the positives of buying and then opening Symbian - only to have Symbian considered a "dead OS" by a lot of folks around here, or coming out with a Maemo OS phone, only to announce 6 months later MeeGo is the new direction and then watch the madness unfold because months later people had to wait for PR1.2 and then get a notice that they were not going to get official Nokia support for going from Maemo to MeeGo... and no communication from Nokia to their loyal fans, the investors see that.

Has very little do to with fads; investors want to make money. And if the company seems like they're being directed wrong or have no direction, your company will lose share price(s).

Be realistic.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Hey, don't want to take it OT (!), but I think I do need to back up my statement.

Perform the following test over 24 hours:
1. Use an N97
2. Use an iPhone 3GS (it's direct competitor)
3. Use a G1 (another direct competitor, perhaps a bit older)

Tell me what you think.

Yes the hardware is different, but still the differences can be seen. Symbian just has a look and feel that is out of date.

Fair point re: "KDE looks out of date therefore Linux is out of date" - it's not the best logic path. Remember on phones though that UI is a large proportion of the function; certainly larger than desktop OSs or server systems.
I've used the 3gs and have owned a g1. The G1 was the reason i went back to using my n95. The 3gs my brother owned was the reason he went android.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I must say this is the worst topic I have ever seen. Nokia practically started Meego..

It's like asking if Apple should use Android instead of iOS..
Yes, I think that is a much better idea.

Apple should drop their efforts and switch to Android. Of course that would allow people to put much more on the iPhone without apple getting a slice so they won't. But it would be good for consumers.

Nokia dropping going to a slightly less open system however would NOT be good for consumers.

Some additional information to throw into the mix from Motorola's 10K statement Q1 2010 as an example of a company moving to Android.
===============================
• In Mobile Devices: Net sales were $1.6 billion in the first quarter of 2010, a decrease of 9% compared to
net sales of $1.8 billion in the first quarter of 2009. The decrease in net sales was primarily driven by a
42% decrease in unit shipments, partially offset by a 57% increase in average selling price (‘‘ASP’’). We
shipped 8.5 million handsets in the first quarter of 2010, a 29% decrease sequentially compared to
shipments of 12.0 million handsets in the fourth quarter of 2009. We shipped 2.3 million Android-based
smartphones in the first quarter of 2010, a 15% increase sequentially compared to shipments of
2.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2009. On a geographic basis, net sales decreased in Latin America,
Asia, and the Europe, Middle East and Africa region (‘‘EMEA’’), partially offset by increased net sales in
North America.

And from Motorolas Annual report
========================

"Our strategy for the Mobile Devices business may be too concentrated on certain products.
The product portfolio in the Mobile Devices business is extensively targeted at the smartphone market, with
particular concentration on smartphones using an Android-based operating system. These products are an
important part of the business plan. If such Android-based smartphones do not remain competitive in the
marketplace, our financial performance would suffer and a shift in strategy would be costly and difficult."

"If our operating system strategy is not successful, our Mobile Devices business could be negatively impacted.
We have made a strategic decision to use third-party and/or open source operating systems, such as Google’s
Android operating system in our wireless products. As a result of this, we are at risk due to our dependency on
third parties’ continued development of operating systems and third parties’ software application ecosystem
infrastructures. With respect to Google’s Android operating system, which is a newer operating system for
wireless handsets, in the event that Google’s Android team no longer develops the Android code base and this
development is not taken up by the open source community, this would increase the burden of development on
Motorola. From an overall risk perspective, the industry is currently engaged in an extremely competitive phase
with respect to operating system platforms and software generally. Android is viewed as a competitive platform in
the Linux and smartphone categories. If (i) Android fails to continue to gain operator and/or developer adoption,
or (ii) any updated versions or new releases of Google’s Android operating system are not made available to
Motorola in a timely fashion, Motorola could be competitively disadvantaged and the Company’s financial results
could be negatively impacted."

Just some thoughts from people who have to run a business...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by nad6234 View Post
I'm sure I could take the time to read all of this stuff, but to be honest, I've been installing Debian since 2.0 and I kinda like a Debian core to my portable device. I'm sure that someone will say that meego will change all that, but I brought my n900 knowing exactly what it was (and what it wasn't).

Nokia: do what you want, but I for one would like to publicly thank you for creating such a great little device. :: Thank you ::
As a Debian fan, do you enjoy only being able to use only the Nokia firmware imagines they give you to run and nothing else because they decided to use so many open-source hostile components and closed up so many portions of the Debian-based Maemo OS they butchered-up to put on the N900?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
They ever fix how you cannot use the FM transmitter while charging the phone?
By not working you mean the static interference you hear while it's charging? I "solved" it by attaching a pair of not working head phones to my radio's antenna (attached with just a little knot).

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Couldn't disagree more. It shows that the shareholder has endured a drop, based on sales yet falling marketshare - their best selling products are from their mid to low-range products and that will only do so much for a company.

Investors that don't immediately see the positives of buying and then opening Symbian - only to have Symbian considered a "dead OS" by a lot of folks around here, or coming out with a Maemo OS phone, only to announce 6 months later MeeGo is the new direction and then watch the madness unfold because months later people had to wait for PR1.2 and then get a notice that they were not going to get official Nokia support for going from Maemo to MeeGo... and no communication from Nokia to their loyal fans, the investors see that.

Has very little do to with fads; investors want to make money. And if the company seems like they're being directed wrong or have no direction, your company will lose share price(s).

Be realistic.
It is exactly what I said : you are looking at the past and you don't understand the logic. Personnally I think Nokia decisions make sense. Of course their current range of device is not really exciting, but it is to be expected when you make a major platform rewrite. But MeeGo and symbian^4 are very promising platforms and the current stock valuation doesn't reflect that...

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by bzhbok View Post
It is exactly what I said : you are looking at the past and you don't understand the logic. Personnally I think Nokia decisions make sense. Of course their current range of device is not really exciting, but it is to be expected when you make a major platform rewrite. But MeeGo and symbian^4 are very promising platforms and the current stock valuation doesn't reflect that...
Just playing a bit of devil's advocate, but both of you seem to forget that 2010's barely part of that chart. It shows the development of the last 10 years, and the numbers actually don't address neither the recent influx of poor marketing decisions in the last couple of months (I wouldn't interpret too much into the drop at the beginning of 2010 - for some strange reason, Nokia's value seems to drop like that at the beginning of every year), nor the potentially good marketing decisions regarding MeeGo and Ovi Store (opening it up for private developers).

They also don't say much about the impact of the iPhone - the huge drop in 07/08 affected Apple just as much, it's just that thanks to their viral marketing strategies they seem to have recovered fairly quickly.