Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
I uploaded a new version (1.8-4) which hopefully fixes the problem.
Just let me know if it works for you now.
No, same problem. Maybe it's just a problem in my configuration, microemulator doesn't crash but the midlet execution is suspended (see screenshot). Microemulator demo midlet works fine.
Attached Images

You made the icedtea6 package also?
For Java GUI support, the Jalimo project has packages for the SWT. For deployment, you could use debian packages. the Jalimo page describes a maven plugin to make deb packages. The Jalimo SWT looks native and works well for me.

If you include the files from the SWT JNI package in jre/lib/arm and the jars from the SWT package in jre/lib/ext (both can be found here), SWT-based GUI apps work with java -jar. This Java developers can put into .desktop files in debian packages.
I have made this Java app that assumes java is in the path and swt installed. It works after the install of the Jalimo SWT example from here (Single Click Install link).

I have also tested it with an optified openjdk from debian sid, and your icedtea6. Both seem to be good as long as the Jalimo SWT is installed. The Jalimo virtual machine however uses GNU Classpath, and is not fully compatible with Sun's class library; for example HTTP connections do not support chunking.

So in my view, the best possible Java we can have is icedtea6 + SWT from the Jalimo project. For the Java web plugin, I don't know how to proceed.

P.S. I also tried microEmulator, but it seems my MIDlet never creates any other commands than Quit in it, and keys also seem to do nothing. It's like the microEmulator virtual phone is active, but the MIDlet UI inside it is frozen.

Last edited by lagerspetz; 2010-06-12 at 16:24.

Originally Posted by torshind View Post
No, same problem. Maybe it's just a problem in my configuration, microemulator doesn't crash but the midlet execution is suspended (see screenshot). Microemulator demo midlet works fine.
Hmm, I see.
Unfortunately I am really short of time at the moment so I don't know when I can have a look at this issue.

Originally Posted by lagerspetz
So in my view, the best possible Java we can have is icedtea6 + SWT
I also ported SWT to Fremantle and the Hildon UI.
It initially started of from the patch the Jalimo project provided for an older SWT version.
Now the SWT port has far more capabilities and much better integration into the Hildon UI like touch UI controls, native Hildon dialogs etc.
You can even use the SWT browser widget if you have fennec installed.

For more details see:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40778
http://maemo.org/packages/view/libswt-hildon
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/swt-hildon

Last edited by Wonko; 2010-06-12 at 23:39.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Hi,
Now the SWT port has far more capabilities and much better integration into the Hildon UI like touch UI controls, native Hildon dialogs etc.
You can even use the SWT browser widget if you have fennec installed.
Yes, I tried your SWT before, but it may be that I downloaded a wrong one, since it looked out-of-place. I tried again after reading your reply, and now it sure enough looks great, and seems even faster than the Jalimo one. I'll proceed to let go the Jalimo repository altogether, this seems to work well for me.

Thanks for the fantastic work! I will make my projects depend on your libswt-hildon.

One more question: Why is icedtea6 not in /opt/maemo/usr/lib/jvm, /opt/usr/lib/jvm, or some such ?

With OpenJDK being in the repository and (partly?) working, is it possible right now/in the future to develop applications to Maemo using Java Qt?

Originally Posted by jayford View Post
With OpenJDK being in the repository and (partly?) working, is it possible right now/in the future to develop applications to Maemo using Java Qt?
As what I can say the plain JDK is fully working.

With respect to Java and Qt:
There is Qt Jambi, which, in short, provides Qt functionality in Java.
The problem is that Qt Jambi is not officially supported anymore.
Though, there are some Open Source efforts to port/maintain Qt Jambi for newer Qt versions.

Also, I do not know if Qt Jambi will work with the Maemo Qt version.
What I can say from my experiences with SWT is that such efforts for supporting a native UI toolkit in Java typically involve JNI or JNA.
Hence, you would basically have to "port" at least the native component to the N900.
This requires e.g. the compilation of the native parts for the ARM target.

Edit:
Originally Posted by lagerspetz View Post
One more question: Why is icedtea6 not in /opt/maemo/usr/lib/jvm, /opt/usr/lib/jvm, or some such ?
Well, if I recall correctly, I did it this way because it was easier to package in a distinct directory.
For more details you can have a look at the instant coffee garage project site and the sources of the packaging scripts there.

Regards

Wonko

Last edited by Wonko; 2010-07-05 at 21:30.