Active Topics

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by vicegerent View Post
Why do some of us treat every such posts as this or criticism of nokia towards N900 as troll? I am a great fan of this device and I have it since March.
Not sure, but it seems like the N900 is one of those few products that manage to make you literally fall in love with them. And humans tend to feel attacked by anyone who dares to criticise their loved ones.

Add the fact that 90% of the anti-N900 faction here on maemo.org ARE trolls and one easily starts to believe that all of them are, even though (at least to me) there's nothing troll-ish about this one topic at hand.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Yep, App manager is laughably slow compaired to the iPhone's, got a little jealous of the iPhone. (Only for a second though)

I think it is the Maps app fullscreen icon that doesn't play ball, as Xterminal shares the same icon as the browser. Bugged me a little, lack of consistancy.

Multi select in emails works fine, and always has.

In the Inbox click on the title bar and select the action you need.
Select the emails you want.
EDIT 1: Ctrl+A will select all emails. (Thanks to atilla below)
Press on the action button in the title bar (Delete as in the example above)

My only gripe with the email app is that since PR1.2 emails no longer download automatically and if you delete from the phone they also delete from server even though 'Leave on server' is checked.
EDIT 2: A fix is now avalible http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=722013&postcount=1 (Thanks to Crashdamage)

Browser full screen flicker, I agree it's there, but I also think 'So what!' but if you want smooth flicker free graphics buy a iPhone, it's what they do best.

Don't forget bugs are still been worked on, just look at the bug tracker to see the work been done. PR1.3 will come with hopfully more improvements.

Last edited by JonWW; 2010-07-04 at 08:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
and to select all just type strg+a.that selects everything.

google is your firend.if you dont know something try to google it....

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
one answer is: Never!!!

Unless you bought Nokia and then firing all of their cheif executives. Otherwise a Polished N900 is only happened in a fantasy world of fairy tale book.

Even I wish It was real.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
Is there a good replacement email client now? for the stock one? What is it called?
You could try claws mail. However it doesn't work very well for me - crashes more often than Windows. I didn't even manage to get it to send out a test mail before it crashes and exits (and yes I tried 5-6 times). In the end I installed Easy Debian + Thunderbird and copied my settings folder from my desktop and hey presto all my mail in my pocket.

Tip: Thunderbird (aka icedove in Debian) stores its stuff in /home/user/.icedove, if you have loads of mail you may run out of space because that partition is only 2GB and your optified apps live in there too. To get around this you can have the .icedove folder in /home/user/MyDocs then create a symlink to it in /home/user.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
n900 wasnt meant to be polished in the first place. it isn't quite ready for average consumers, the successor should be.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
and to select all just type strg+a.that selects everything.
If you mean Ctrl+A once you are in 'Multi select' mode... I didn't know that thanks.

The select action THEN select e-mail(s), IMO, is an incomplete or afterthought crappy solution. The actions (flow) between single and multi-select should be the almost the same, except during the item selection phase. i.e. During single select, you single select an item by long pressing an item and waiting for the popup menu to select the action to be carried out. The popup menu on e-mails have "mark as read" and "delete". From a UI experience point of view, multi-select should be very similar, providing those two actions after a set of selection has been made.

If I'm not mistaken, I can't mark multiple e-mails as read.

Ctrl+A doesn't seem to select multiple "e-mails".

Icons...again, I'm not looking for a solution, just using it as an example that there's a certain level of inconsistency even both programs are from Nokia. As simple as a matter of the direction of the arrows. Even on desktops, minimize and maximize icons have always been signified by a small low bar, and a square (respectively) throughout the majority of programs from a variety of vendors. The style of the small low bar and square, and the style of the icon may differ, but never far away from the small low bar and square.

I do have a question: Is there an official Maemo UI design guideline out there? Sometimes, I wonder if Maemo is just a transitional platform from one thing (no idea what) to another (no idea what)...which Nokia uses to squeeze money from us and then dump us. Sometimes, the lack of commercial software for a particular platform is an indication that others don't see it as a viable long term investment. Is there any true hard facts that Maemo is here to stay? This is a genuine question...I honestly don't know.

Last edited by chatbox; 2010-07-03 at 12:25.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
n900 wasnt meant to be polished in the first place. it isn't quite ready for average consumers, the successor should be.
haha...I've been hearing that from the N800 days...the next one will be polished...then the next one... Every single one has been a, IMO, subpar, non competitive product...and with their users saying something like "This is a very unique product, if it doesn't suit you, then go away". Since when do we demand human beings to be suitable for a product? There are some exceptional cases...true. But a mobile computing platform and hardware that Nokia is pretty much saying...take it or leave it, it is what it is....just doesn't seem right. But somewhere along the way, the users, the community have come to accept this, IMO, a weird "fact" that you can't demand more from Nokia.

Last edited by chatbox; 2010-07-03 at 12:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to chatbox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by chatbox View Post
The select action THEN select e-mail(s), IMO, is an incomplete or afterthought crappy solution.
FWIW iPhone does the same solution in its Mail: go into a separate selection mode, select emails, then press "Delete".

Tags
just more, verbal diarrhea