Active Topics

whats up everyone..just ordered my n800 and i was wondering if there was a way i could get my own private wifi connection (maybe an attachment or something) so i wouldnt have to rely on stealing wifi signals and i could always be connected to the internet..

someone told me i could but im not sure how if its possible

any help?

thanks.

I'd contact and internet service provider (ISP) in your area such as Comcast, SBC, Roadrunner, etc. (I've no idea where you are in the world). They will set you up with an internet connection via a modem that you can connect to a wireless access point (AP) or router. Very easy to do- go with the router setup. Decide how you want to lock it down with security (WEP, WPA and/or access control). Do some searches or post more questions. I've always found most of the posters here to be great help and happy to do so.

You could also pay for access to a hotspot like T-Mobile.

Good luck and enjoy your N800, I know you will!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Buy a wireless router (aka Access Point) you cheapskate! And you'll need your own broadband internet connection as well.

The N800 has everything you need to connect to a WiFi network (preferably your own!). When you're not in range of a WiFi network, use Bluetooth to connect the N800 to your cell/mobile phone (your phone must support the Bluetooth DUN profile).

Connecting to someone elses WiFi without authorisation is a crime in some jurisdictions...

lol im not a cheapskate lol i just dont know what its called or where to get it! lol

does the wireless router go right into the n800?

i have wireless router in my home..i just want to be online all the time even when im on the road

if i use bluetooth..doesnt the data get charged to my phone bill?

Originally Posted by heckler770 View Post
I'd contact and internet service provider (ISP) in your area such as Comcast, SBC, Roadrunner, etc. (I've no idea where you are in the world). They will set you up with an internet connection via a modem that you can connect to a wireless access point (AP) or router. Very easy to do- go with the router setup. Decide how you want to lock it down with security (WEP, WPA and/or access control). Do some searches or post more questions. I've always found most of the posters here to be great help and happy to do so.

You could also pay for access to a hotspot like T-Mobile.

Good luck and enjoy your N800, I know you will!
i have road runner and a wireless router already for my HOME..does that mean i could still connect on my phone even if im not home?

The Following User Says Thank You to pdathekid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pdathekid View Post
i just want to be online all the time even when im on the road
Tricky - bluetooth+cellular phone or wifi hotspot are your only real options while on the road. You could use a bluetooth modem of some sort which may allow you to make dial up phones calls over the phone - I think this has been discussed in the past in situations where a cellphone signal hasn't been available (eg. a lodge in the countryside with a phone line but no cell signal).

if i use bluetooth..doesnt the data get charged to my phone bill?
Yes... although there are various "unlimited" data plans available for reasonable prices depending on where you live (ie. UK, 3 network £5/month on top of existing voice plan with 1GB cap).

i have road runner and a wireless router already for my HOME..does that mean i could still connect on my phone even if im not home?
Yes, as long as your (cell/mobile)phone supports the Bluetooth Dial Up Network (DUN) profile.

im in new york and i only have a 9.99 data plan on my razr that is bluetooth enabled (althought i dont use it)..so i guess id have to upgrade that huh?

how is the tmobile hotspot? how much is it and is it worth the money?

im in new york and i only have a 9.99 data plan on my razr that is bluetooth enabled (althought i dont use it)..so i guess id have to upgrade that huh?

how is the tmobile hotspot? how much is it and is it worth the money?
If you find yourself near a Borders Books, Starbucks, etc. it works very well and I find worth the money even though I have wifi at home. I pay the 29.99 month to month when I need it. It's a bit less if you sign a 1 year contract. You can also pay $6 per hour (or portion of), but that will add up fast if you use it more than a couple times a month.

As for your mobile phone- there's good advice above- also check with your provider if they have "tethering" charges. Basically whether they charge extra if you use the phone as a BT modem. It's different than if you send and receive data (web, text, photo's, etc) on the actual phone.

Last edited by heckler770; 2007-09-07 at 17:31.

ok ill check ..thanks alot guys

my n800 just got here and i love it so far. its really quick.