Posts: 36 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Slovakia
As far as i know, chromium does not have the problematic auto update feauture. So even if google loose on court, it will be safe to use and distribute chromium.

Now you can see, how the software patents can **** up your day

For all interested http://jacekowski.org/node/1 - links to chromium containing courgette.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jacekowski For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
jacekowski: Thanks! I put your version into my repo (see my sig), so if you have it enabled on your N900, it will show up in your app manager.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It's up to version 10 now and is getting rave reviews. Any chance of an update?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
It would be nice if Chromium ran on the n900, and this was available in the repos, because it is fast and runs Flash 10. It has replaced Firefox as my preferred browser. It seems easily available for Windows and Linux, so I am not clear why if there is a version that runs on the n900, this should not be available via the updater.

Posts: 675 | Thanked: 923 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
It would be nice if Chromium ran on the n900, and this was available in the repos, because it is fast and runs Flash 10. It has replaced Firefox as my preferred browser. It seems easily available for Windows and Linux, so I am not clear why if there is a version that runs on the n900, this should not be available via the updater.
We have chromium, it was ported by Jacekowski and is hosted in his private repo due to patent issues. Look for http://maemo.jacekowski.org, it should be under pool/free/c

Kind Regards,
D4rK
* D4rKlar on DeviantART * Maemo5 on DeviantART *
_
* M4riNa D4rK Theme and Iconset *
_

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D4rKlar For This Useful Post:
You didn't read what I said, did you?

By repos I mean standard repos, not some guy's repos, which relies on stuff in extras to work.

Mish

Last edited by mishmich; 2011-03-21 at 23:00.

The argument for removal seems pretty tenuous, as the suit is against Google, and they are still challenging them. Then they would need to go through all those linuxes that re-distribute via the repositories. Chromium is, I believe, standard for MeeGo. The outcome will be that either Google will win, they will lose and pay the litigant lots of money to let them use it (the main aim of these suits), or they will remove that bit from the code (which only relates to the updating process, from what I can make out). Sure, if Google loses, and keeps using it without paying up, then there could be an issue for those who also distribute - but the need for removal would be at that point.

So, please put it back in the repositories, in a similar way that it is available in other distributions. It seems pointless continuing to nobble this system when there are applications available that would enhance it. At the end of the day, n900/Maemo is small fry, and needs all the opportunities it can get.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I would also love to see a newer version of it for N900. I tried to contact jacekowski but never got a reply. I had planned to look into porting 9.x or 10.x if it doesn't involve too much code patching but I simply have no time atm. If any able individual would look into it i would be delighted.

Originally Posted by Deafboy View Post
As far as i know, chromium does not have the problematic auto update feauture. So even if google loose on court, it will be safe to use and distribute chromium.

Now you can see, how the software patents can **** up your day
So, it may not be that Chromium is even affected by this in the way Chrome is? Yet it was still removed? Bizarre.