Active Topics

Poll: What is your maximum overclock?
Poll Options
What is your maximum overclock?

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Newport, Wales
Originally Posted by ashyk36 View Post
is it really that straight forward?
yeap it is, install the rootsh and the enhanced kernel (with the settings), type the command and that's it, for me i noticed that my battery lived longer, plus my device is way faster, give it a shot and try

The Following User Says Thank You to INGINE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
used jakiman's overclock and loaded LV and changed the limits to 250/900. this is my default now and stable 24/7

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It's not funny at all; it is expected. Have you read Jakiman's overclocking guide? He actually lists the expected failure rates for each max overclocking level. CPUs are NOT identical, this is known. It's interesting -- you should read up on it.
TI's smart-reflex technology does something similar. It grades the CPU according to the lowest voltages it can support at a given clock frequency and writes it to a register on the chip during fabrication. Once the chip is shipped on a device, the smart-reflex driver can choose a lower voltages for each OPP, (if the silicon supported it). Part of Titans lv, xlv, ulv and ideal kernels and settings also attain similar goals as smart-reflex.
http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/wtbu/smartr...whitepaper.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to noipv4 For This Useful Post:
I live in Egypt which is a hot country, man summer here gets 44C easily. Do you think this could kill my n900 on overclock?

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Newport, Wales
in ideal, though you overclock, you use a lower voltage than the default one, so ideal profile is still pretty much safe for you mate, you can make sure by monitoring the battery temperature, after installing rootsh and the enhanced kernel, type this:

sudo gainroot
modprobe bq27x00_battery
cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27200-0/temp

xterm will print the temp for you to check, i think under 45 is safe, mine never went over 40 though.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I don't use my N900 for phone calls. I never have so I have been using an early version of 125 - 800 since it first was available as a fiasco that I could load from the phone... Never had a problem and with no phone it never screwed back down to 600.

I have tried the Kernel Power app but the "Ideal" kernel that it recommends has always caused a crash at boot up. If that was the easiest and/or safest and it crashed I figured I didn't need the app and went back to my old 800 MHz fiasco.

The WiKi is long on technical specs but short on reasoning and I really don't have the inclination and time to find out "what's best for me" since it would all be subjective.

I was hoping that someone by now would say this is what is best for the average user and these are the reasons why.
That way if I get spontaneous reboots I have something to work against and when I did find out what worked best I might have a better understanding of why.

Right now I would be using Titan's "Ideal" If it didn't cause my N900 to spontaneously reboot. I would tweak it if I knew which way to go and why.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I don't use my N900 for phone calls. I never have so I have been using an early version of 125 - 800 since it first was available as a fiasco that I could load from the phone... Never had a problem and with no phone it never screwed back down to 600.

I have tried the Kernel Power app but the "Ideal" kernel that it recommends has always caused a crash at boot up. If that was the easiest and/or safest and it crashed I figured I didn't need the app and went back to my old 800 MHz fiasco.

The WiKi is long on technical specs but short on reasoning and I really don't have the inclination and time to find out "what's best for me" since it would all be subjective.

I was hoping that someone by now would say this is what is best for the average user and these are the reasons why.
That way if I get spontaneous reboots I have something to work against and when I did find out what worked best I might have a better understanding of why.

Right now I would be using Titan's "Ideal" If it didn't cause my N900 to spontaneously reboot. I would tweak it if I knew which
way to go and why.
IMHO the following 3 steps should work with average users

>root
>kernel-config load /usr/share/kernel-power-settings/default
>kernel-config limits 250 1000

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

Right now I would be using Titan's "Ideal" If it didn't cause my N900 to spontaneously reboot. I would tweak it if I knew which way to go and why.
What's best for you is not completely subjective. If you crash, that's bad.

It sounds like you don't understand the basic theory of overclocking, correct me if I'm wrong. CPUs are not identical, so you can't count on a description of what is best for the typical user. Most people seem to be able to run Ideal, but lots of people can't.

Since you spontaneously reboot with Ideal, Ideal isn't best for you. Since you don't have time for extensive testing (and most of us don't have time to tweak ad infinitum -- I know I don't), you should try one of the other major settings.

The reason you are seeing more specifications than reasoning in the docs is that overclocking is not based mainly on reasoning; it's mainly based on experimentation.

I would suggest that you try a speed of 800 mHz and a voltage setting of XLV. If that doesn't work for you (if you continue to spontaneouly reboot), try a voltage setting of ULV. If you continue to spontaneously reboot, try a voltage setting of LV.

If you spontaneously reboot with any overclocking setting, you are one of the rare possessors of a CPU that shouldn't be overclocked.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
ideal profile doesn't work with my N900 well. it gives constant reboots and crashes.

LV works with me well and sets my limits to 250/900. Has anyone here loaded LV profile and defaulted to 250/1150?

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leicester,UK
Originally Posted by INGINE View Post
yeap it is, install the rootsh and the enhanced kernel (with the settings), type the command and that's it, for me i noticed that my battery lived longer, plus my device is way faster, give it a shot and try

how much do you use your phone? what do you use it for? and how long does the battery last?