Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by lpotter View Post
Nokia has lots of gameplans and products. It still sells the most phones in the world.
Yes, unfortunately a humongous majority of that is the entry/mid-level market which are not too interesting or relevant to many users here.

I hope things change for the better with MeeGo, but at this point they seem to be somewhat trailing (not in sales numbers) compared to the competitors...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Suggestion: Maybe you (the MeeGo Project) shouldn't make it so hard for others to join?
What do you mean? Do you mean other companies joining the project, or just individuals making usernames on meego.com?

Regarding an end-user MeeGo enthusiast site, all I can say right now is, wait for it in a few days.

It's independent from meego.com of course.

PM me if you would like to volunteer to help.

Last edited by Reggie; 2010-06-21 at 15:45.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Uh-oh... ITT all over again, maybe ? :-

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Cool Reggie !! I wonder how many times you can reincarnate yourself?! You seem to do a fantastic job at adapting to the changing climate around the tablets/Maemo/Meego !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Regarding an end-user MeeGo enthusiast site, all I can say right now is, wait for it in a few days.
Mmmh... nice. Let's see what you have for us, Reggie.

I (myself) don't like the Idea of another meego/maemo/harmattan place... but I'm not the decisive factor.

I would personally prefer a single forum and a single community. We need a smooth transition and not a hard cut (some people are going there, others are still here and others are completely lost)

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post

It's independent from meego.com of course.

PM me if you would like to volunteer to help.
And here's the obligatory "Please have a classic dark theme" suggestion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Just want to say thanks to all that have posted, and posted links in this discussion. It got me reading more about MeeGo (whether MeeGo forums or Mailing Lists).

Unfortunately, it hasn't given me a better impression of MeeGo. I haven't just read the bit linked to from this post, I've also dug around a little bit, as well. From and end user/engaged user/enthusiast/non-programmer/whatever perspective, I am worried.

Maemo seems to be slowly dying, and MeeGo is still in the womb, and the two are destined to never cross. When MeeGo was first announced, QT was put forth as the savior for Maemo5. I read a lot of comments to the effect that QT would allow apps to be cross ported, easily, a checkbox. Many people agreed with this sentiment. Now, it seems more and more are questioning that this is the case.

MeeGo seems relatively closed / elitist for being pushed as so open. IMHO, it seems Nokia and Intel are speaking out of both sides of their mouths. With one side, they ask for advice, contributors, and help emphasizing how much they need the community to be successful. Then from the other side, decisions are handed down without discussion, talented individuals asking how to contribute are told to be editors (just for now, later if you're good, we'll throw you crumbs). Claims of being open are being made, but wait, we can't show you that yet.

Several high-ranking / respected members of our community are being frustrated and feel like bailing out. Whatever Nokia and Intel are doing, they should be quick to note, it appears to be backfiring, or at least not working well.

Reading through the MeeGo partners pages, I get the feeling the phone portion of MeeGo is a very low priority (if a priority at all) to many of the partners.

It just looks like Nokia hasn't learned much from the first 4 steps, and I don't have much faith in the 5th step. It feels to me that the community went from shocked/frightened to optimistic about MeeGo fairly quickly, but as the shiny is wearing thin, we seem to be reverting back beyond even cautiously optimistic. Not that a lot of folks aren't rooting for MeeGo to do well, it just seems like MeeGo is getting to be more of a longshot / underdog as time goes on.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
I don't know if energy is being wasted here, but at least it's an interesting read, reminiscent of older days (thanks, General!).

Meanwhile, a lot of hot air is being blown over in another sad thread, trying to apply Ban-Aid on the wrong wound:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=44

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Meanwhile, a lot of hot air is being blown over in another sad thread, trying to apply Ban-Aid on the wrong wound: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=44
Looks like someone in that thread has not done his required Lord Of the Flies reading...

Tags
misstep, nokia