Its getting really hard to buy an N900. Not because you can't find them... you can. But because the competition is so much more polished.

I need a phone. I've put it off forever and I'm still stalling. I need one now. I need it for this weekend.

I want something with a big screen and unlocked. My candidates are HTC Incredible, HTC Evo, Motorola Droid and the N900.

Its extremely tempting to buy an Android based phone. Its all there with 2.1 and 2.2 and other upgrades are on the way. Where the hell is Meego ?

The N900 has a smaller screen, 3.5" versus 3.7 and even 4.3 for the Evo. The N900 has the best keyboard. The N900 has an FM transmitter. But the rest of the phones have a good OS with lots of applications available NOW and I know they will be suppored in the future. The N900 has Maemo and who knows what will be happening with it and Meego.

And I know that Nokia is saying they will release a new phone in Q3/4. But I need a phone now !

The only thing that staved me off from buying a Droid this morning is the fact it doesn't run on AWS networks.

What to do, what to do ?

Milestone...?

Froyo = Firmware update
MeeGo = new OS

You want Nokia to put out a phone now because you want a phone now?

The EVO, Droid and Incredible are CDMA, the n900 isn't. What carrier are you on?

If apps, "available now" and whatnot are what you want then you should probably get another phone

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Meego will not be any major change. If you dont like maemo, you won't like meego.

I say buy n900. If apps most important go with droid.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ planet earth i guess
if you talk about a phone supported for a long term forget n900 - the meego nokia is not even announced - but will be old next spring and forgotten by nokia. the n900 is a great phone but the eco-system is declining and non-existing because nokia decides today so and tomorrow so. no clear line for end-user and more important for developer.

thats the reason nokia is failing with every new announced smart phone every week or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to -miniME- For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
from the time i got the n900, i never called it a phone.

i just use the word "tablet" or "device" that has a gsm signal and quad band.

and the funny thing is, you cannot use wi-fi if you are off-line or not in "tablet mode"

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Don't get the N900 nor the Motorola Milestone/Droid.

The N900 is.. well, read the forums. I suspect it's already a dead platform. If you're accurately describing the intended purpose of this purchase as a PHONE purchase, you're DEFINITELY not interested in a Nokia N900.

The Motorola Milestone/Droid is a 2009 phone and it's already overshadowed by its newer brethren. I have a Motorola Droid and it's a GREAT phone but if I were to buy one now, I'd get one of these impressive newer models.

You're MUCH better off getting the HTC Evo or the Incredible, at this point.

i get it in january, and im still happy.

but if i were you, wait six months more

Dude, if you've been hanging out in this forum since Dec '09 and you still haven't decided that an N900 is the right device for you, then perhaps you've already answered your own question. Out of interest, have you also been lurking around on forums supporting the other potential devices you list?

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_b For This Useful Post:
It seems you like linux, (no symbian, iphone, etc. in your alternatives).
So if you like quite standard userlands you have to buy an n900
(IMHO this makes the n900 really a wonderfull device).