Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
I was wondering if anyone used their N800 to help run/play a tabletop DnD or equivalent game?

I'm considering using the n800 for quick rules lookup for example - using http://www.d20srd.org, and http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php

Also I'd be interested to know if anyone has used the VGA camera and skype to help with remote players?

Another thing that i am interested in, some kind of sound effect application. Any ideas?

Well, I'm sure that a simple die-rolling software can be made/ported over to the N800, someone just needs to take the time to do it.
As far as using the cam and Skype, Skype in it's current form on the N800 doesn't support video.
And current video cam support on the N800 is limited to N800-to-N800 only.
Looks like you'll have to create your own solution for now.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Well, I'm sure that a simple die-rolling software can be made/ported over to the N800, someone just needs to take the time to do it.
I'm not so interested in dice rollers, i own dice
MicroB kinda supports some web applications, but as for the rest - I guess i'll just have to start looking for stuff to port ...
As far as using the cam and Skype, Skype in it's current form on the N800 doesn't support video.
And current video cam support on the N800 is limited to N800-to-N800 only.
Any news as to when this might get sorted? or re there any betas available?
Looks like you'll have to create your own solution for now.
I wonder if it is possible is it possible to automate file uploads via skype? Get it to offer for upload automagically anything in a particular directory?

Originally Posted by gotanga View Post
I'm not so interested in dice rollers, i own dice
MicroB kinda supports some web applications, but as for the rest - I guess i'll just have to start looking for stuff to port ...
Let me know if you need a beta tester.

Any news as to when this might get sorted? or re there any betas available?
Nope and nope.

I wonder if it is possible is it possible to automate file uploads via skype? Get it to offer for upload automagically anything in a particular directory?
Nope. Remember, Skype is NOT open-source and is NOT based upon the regular SIP standards.
You're going to have to roll-your-own push solution for this.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Chicago, IL, USA
Keep in mind that the Skype client on the N800 also does not support Skype file transfers at this time...

Let me know if you need a beta tester.
Happy to. In fact this might be a good thread to use to keep track of, or suggest, tools that work or could be ported.

So far, i can recommend investing in the local version of the d20srd + latest MicroB. I have been able to test test the local search function, and it works. Not been able to use the other Javascript tools on the page because MicroB does not seem to handle the javascript/css drop down menu on the page gracefully (though it could be argued the other way around). Not taken any time to look into howto fix that yet.

Other things that seem to mostly work so far out of the box when used locally:
- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebwe/20041129a - Eberron Calendar
- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t - Dungeon Tile Map Creator/Viewer
- http://www.pathguy.com/eberron.htm - Eberron Character generator. he has loads of others for other systems available from his hompage.

Javascript apps that are ATM broken when used locally for some reason:
- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20070427a - Barrel contents generator

I'm not online, so have not tested them with a working net connection.

Nope and nope.

Nope. Remember, Skype is NOT open-source and is NOT based upon the regular SIP standards.
You're going to have to roll-your-own push solution for this.
I guess this is not the thread for this discussion, but i would have thought that the skype binary would use the standard linux webcam interface for camera input. I've worked with it before (cannot remember the interface off hand - VLAN?) but it's a standard kernel module - which i assume is what is the interface the N800 camera... or am i assuming too much...

Originally Posted by cwichura View Post
Keep in mind that the Skype client on the N800 also does not support Skype file transfers at this time...
well thats out of the window then.

Hi,

So how about the N800 from the player side of the table? I wonder if there are any good character sheet apps adapted to work well on the N800?

I have been using google gadgets alot recently and was thinking a D&D character sheet gadget would be cool so you have access to your character from anywhere - of course it will still need to be hosted somewhere so I guess the first step would be a secure online character store of some sort...

Anyway, I definately plan to use my N800 when I start at D&D again next month even if its just for looking up rules...

The Following User Says Thank You to GavinK151 For This Useful Post:
Using wget it is easily possible to mirror d20srd.org to your n800, giving you access to all important d20 documentation locally. This is quite useful as a player or dm alike as information on every topic (spells, feats, rules, monsters, etc.) can be reached in about 2-3 clicks instead of checking through several books.

There a bunch of 'issues' one needs to take care off to successfully mirror the page, easily fixed by wget options:

- convert links for local viewing -k
- ensure to set the user agent to mozilla or IE 5+ --user-agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)"
- tell wget to mirror 4 levels deep -r 4
- tell wget to ignore any files ending on .cgi (the page uses links embedded in the source and only visible to tools like wget to a blacklist cgi that bans your IP from accessing the server if your client demands the file) -R "cgi"
- use the random wait function when mirroring the page. --random-wait

The whole package has about 70 megs of data, so make sure to save to mmc if you don't boot from an large enough mmc partition.

enjoy

Last edited by Dom Queron; 2007-08-28 at 17:12.

Originally Posted by GavinK151 View Post
Hi,

So how about the N800 from the player side of the table? I wonder if there are any good character sheet apps adapted to work well on the N800?

I have been using google gadgets alot recently and was thinking a D&D character sheet gadget would be cool so you have access to your character from anywhere - of course it will still need to be hosted somewhere so I guess the first step would be a secure online character store of some sort...

Anyway, I definately plan to use my N800 when I start at D&D again next month even if its just for looking up rules...
The character generator i mentioned at www.thepathguy.com, had a character generator. It wont let you maintain a character, at least not at the moment, but it will allow you to create and save characters.