Active Topics

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Want to be able to print directly from your phone? Buy an iphone
Or I could install EasyDebian + cups.. and print from there.. Or wait for a MeeGo phone..

Ouch this sux: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoqh27E6OuU

Last edited by bandora; 2010-06-09 at 20:04.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm more understanding of wifi/network problems - that's not centered around the phone usually - than having an USB port pop out.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Good thing that hasn't occured on my beloved N900 that I've had since December 1st..

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
Hmm..Marketing. I firmly believe 'People only believe in the loudest voice'

But I saw some contrasting statements,At the D8 Interview Steve was asked a question on smart phones and he said ' based on current market share Nokia is on top, RIM was second and Apple 3rd', but the graphic shown at WWDC'10 shows a different picture with RIM 1st and Apple 2nd. Nokia was no where listed. So how come Nokia slipped down in a week.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
u wanna know why? Because they use super technical terms like:

"When something exceeds you expectation.....it sorts of become......MAGICAL!!"

or

"It's a REVOLUTION".

"The App store is revolutionary, and makes this device MAGICAL."

and that's how Apple fan boys get attracted.

Iphone4 is a fail btw. Video calling is fail coz u can only do it over wifi since AT&T sucks.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
A lot of times, Apple get an existing technology and improves on them to the point that anyone, even non-techies, can use that technology. That's their bread and butter and it works most of the time.

Imagine how many PMPs (portable music players) were in the market when the iPod came along.

Now let me tackle some of your points:

Ask a non-techie mobile user what app can do video calling most probably he/she won't be able to name you one. A slightly techie person might say Skype, Fring, etc. After Apple's announcement and demo, give it a few months and non-techies will be saying 'the new iPhone.'

Apple has integrated video calling so you can switch to a video call anytime when you are talking with someone, of course when you're both in wifi. That kind of integration I haven't seen from any mobile device.

What r u talking about....??? U don't need an app to do video calling on a phone......3G video calling has been out for at least 5 years now and u can do that normally!! It's actually rather PATHETIC that the iPhone 4 only implemented this now, it should've been there since years ago. In fact, the majority KNOWS about this, that's y they wanted a front facing camera so they can use video calling.........and any good smartphone can do this anyway, i have no idea wot ur trying to say.

Sure. But the point here is, Apple has found a super-easy way for end-users to buy apps, ands as an effect, now cluttering their phone's desktop and even filling it to the limit, based on the iPhone's max limit of desktops and apps.

So what does Apple do new? You drag an app icon on to another app, and it automatically creates a folder for the two apps. It saves the step of creating a folder first, and then moving apps to that folder. Although they've just made it simple and easy to do, well, that's the point.

Actually, ppl buy it so they can jailbreak it. Also, I already have the feature that you just said on my iPod Touch, anyone who knows about the benefits of jailbreaking will have all these new features at least a year ago.

Here is I'm sure a lot of folks don't know how Apple does multitasking differently. Apple introduces a non-visual object to handle multi-tasking (as a long time object-oriented developer, I know this a lot).

Again, this was already available to jailbroken iDevices. My point is, these features should've been available to the first iPhone or at least the 2nd generation Iphone. But they still suck coz it took them this long to implement something this simple. I love my iPod Touch though, i'm not saying it sucks. It's just that Apple's product by itself really sucks balls, and the only real upside is what you get from jailbreaking, i.e installing paid apps for free and tons of other stuff. That's the primary reason y most ppl buy iDevices.

Basically, if you need something to run in the background, why use a visual object when you don't need to display anything? What Apple proposes (they are proposing several options actually depending on need), is to kick in a non-visual code for the current application whenever you switch to another app, thereby making the original app still appear to be working at the background, and at the same time, efficiently saving resources. A bit techie but honestly, I like their implementation.

Yes, but what they introduce is something what will complement the 720p recording -- iMovie. Give it a few months and you'll see so many iPhone edited videos in YouTube that you will be sick with it. With that feature on a mobile device now, imagine how many bloggers can now cover events, upload and post a professional looking HD video on their blogs in a few minutes. Again, mass appeal.

Yes Apple's marketing is indeed great and Apple has a great salesman as their CEO, but if you look at it closely, they have are striving to create quality products that are targeted to the end-user (kids, parents, grandparents, executives) -- and that makes it easier for them to market their products.

I have always been a 'target the end-user' type of guy that's why I appreciate the innovation Apple brings. There are a lot of things companies can learn from Apple.

My 0.2 cents.
Oh btw, if u watched the WWDC for iPhone 4, u'll know that they couldn't even get Wifi working, and there was something else that failed as well (i forgot what it was). They did a side by side comparison of the web page test of the new Iphone 4 vs the old one, and the old one loaded up fine. U can tell that their new baseband design and signal receiving technology isn't gonna help much for video calling, not to mention that u don't get free wifi signals everywhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to chaoscreater For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@chaoscreatEr:
i think you've missed many of the finer and subtler points of Reggie's post and came out charging on false assumptions. Might want to reread/edit your post. No need to be so aggressive/defensive over something like this.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
The 'retina display' which is a marketing gimmick is rather misleading as it suggests new technology. However they are the first product with it so they can claim it like Everest.
They're not the first product with that density, though -- in 2008, LG introduced the LG-LU1400, a Korean-market phone with a pivoting 2.8" 800x480 screen, which is (slightly) higher pixel density than the iPhone 4. So they can claim it like I can claim the Moon -- it's completely bogus, but nobody cares enough to stop me.

Of course, since the "pixels too small to resolve" is coming from the same company that 5 years ago claimed 100ppi is the optimal resolution -- you don't want "a smaller monitor with a high resolution that causes eyestrain and headaches", do you? -- I'd have to agree with the title. Apple's marketing is indeed amazing.

Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
I'm curious to see if iphones' animations will be as smooth as before... I don't know what kind of CPU it has built in, but one of the claims for the N900 for not having as smooth animation was its higher resolution display...
A4 has basically the same Cortex-A8 ARM core we're running, but with tweaks to permit faster clocks. It has a PowerVR SGX535, which (according to wikipedia) is capable of twice the polygons, but the same 500Mpx/s@200MHz as our SGX530. The iPhone needs to render 1.6x as many pixels.

It's currently unclear what clock they'll be running, but surely no more than the 1 GHz in the iPad (which has 1.28x as many pixels). Unfortunately, I really don't know enough about either platform to compare between them, but if it runs about 800MHz, it should behave just about like the iPad.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@benson: in context of the 100ppi claim... They're talking about displaying the same (unrsized/scaled user interface) at the same resolution on a smaller screen... Which is not the case for this 'retina display'.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@benson: in context of the 100ppi claim... They're talking about displaying the same (unrsized/scaled user interface) at the same resolution on a smaller screen... Which is not the case for this 'retina display'.
So they're saying that crippled hardware is the solution for crippled software?! Oh, well that makes it all right, then. (From the buyers of NeXT, no less -- it's hardly that they lacked the ability to get the software right.)