Hello all! I bought n900 few weeks ago and im very glad to use linux on such small device Almost all answers about software i found in the web, but i still have a question about functional keys. How can i use them? I like to work with midnight commander and mcedit but i need to use F10 key to exit for example. Is there a way to do it?

just tap on the screen in mc where it says F10 or F1 or F<whatever>

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm not sure about F10. Part of the issue with keymaps on Maemo is that hardware keys are mapped to odd things sometimes (e.g. IIRC the zoom/volume rocker is F5/F6). I think the blue "2nd-function" key is actually mapped to Alt, or something odd; the problem then is that some characters/controls you might want to map are already mapped for a Maemo-specific function, and some phone keys are mapped to things you want, and you can't remap them for the same sort of reason.

As far as actually changing the keymaps goes, it can be done, and if you search (the forum or the general Internet), you should be able to find out how. Just be careful that you don't break preexisting functionality.
Another interesting thought: I wonder if this sort of thing could be handled in another way? e.g. in PR 1.2, Nokia set long-keypress by default to type the "blue symbol" rather than using key-repeat. I'm not sure how they've implemented this, but could a similar method be used for situations like this? I'm thinking of maybe a modifier or dead-key sort of arrangement. This wouldn't work (well, at least), but for example: [Blue]+F,[Number] == F[n]. If someone actually wants to try that, we should probably split it into a separate thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by droll View Post
just tap on the screen in mc where it says F10 or F1 or F<whatever>

You might also try tapping the on-screen ESC button, followed by 0 (zero) for F10.

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
I'm not sure about F10. Part of the issue with keymaps on Maemo is that hardware keys are mapped to odd things sometimes (e.g. IIRC the zoom/volume rocker is F5/F6). I think the blue "2nd-function" key is actually mapped to Alt, or something odd; the problem then is that some characters/controls you might want to map are already mapped for a Maemo-specific function, and some phone keys are mapped to things you want, and you can't remap them for the same sort of reason.

As far as actually changing the keymaps goes, it can be done, and if you search (the forum or the general Internet), you should be able to find out how. Just be careful that you don't break preexisting functionality.
Another interesting thought: I wonder if this sort of thing could be handled in another way? e.g. in PR 1.2, Nokia set long-keypress by default to type the "blue symbol" rather than using key-repeat. I'm not sure how they've implemented this, but could a similar method be used for situations like this? I'm thinking of maybe a modifier or dead-key sort of arrangement. This wouldn't work (well, at least), but for example: [Blue]+F,[Number] == F[n]. If someone actually wants to try that, we should probably split it into a separate thread.
i've noticed in some applications, the long-keypress doesn't work. for example, in facebrick, when i run it, it gets me to login via the facebook website. at this login page, the long-keypress only produces what a normaly PC keyboard would do - repeated keypresses of that key.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Thanks you very much for your replies! I spend a lot of time in the web in search of answer on this question and i really tried to use this :

Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
You might also try tapping the on-screen ESC button, followed by 0 (zero) for F10.
This is really works in my xterm (n900 with the last sotware updates). Maybe i did something wrong in the past. Thank you very much again! But taping on the screen is possible only for F1-F6 buttons in my local mc and it also doesnt work when you open mc over ssh (on remote server). Now i can connect to my server, open mc and write php, c, java everywhere im so happy...

Originally Posted by Viper360 View Post
But taping on the screen is possible only for F1-F6 buttons in my local mc
Use the volume keys to change the size of the font in XTerm and then the other Fkeys will become visible

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post: