Active Topics

Poll: What should I do now?
Poll Options
What should I do now?

you should get an iPhone, jailbreak it, and install a bunch of apps from cydia so you can see it crash all the time

(developer phone here, flash often for reasons other then instability, Backup, Flash, Restore works just fine)

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I've had my N900 for about 5 months now, I've flashed the device 3 times in that period, but I've never actually needed to. I just like starting fresh when a new update comes out, forces me to spring clean

When I first got the device, I flashed it straight away. Then I flashed 1.1.1 and a little time ago I flashed 1.2

I develop on the phone, so I tend to play around with things quite a bit. But I've never rendered it unusable. You should always be aware of what you're actually doing entails. Anything that messes with the Kernel, over-clocking or whatever, if you're just a "normal" user, it's a bad idea.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
In myopinion: You either have faulty hardware resulting to these issues. Or you're doing something wrong. I never had any of these issues, and I flashed countless times because I like to mess with it.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Thank you for your replies.

It doesn't matter how many applications you have installed from extras-devel.

Even one may brick your phone if you are unlucky.

extras-testing can also do the same though less potentially.
Well as I said, I didn't had any devel application installed. Only testing ones to overclock it for example, still I can't imagine anymore to use my N900 without this performance increase of nearly 50% and it never "crashed" at 900MHz yet even with the ULV profile.

1)[...]You didn't say what MSN are you using. If you're using pidgin, there I can confirm you that its problem isn't related to N900 in any way. I encountered lots of problems with it I don't wanna whine at, I switch back to telepathy-pecan which is stable and great.

2) Regarding contacts problem with telepathy-pecan, first you must check whether you've flashed your eMMC when you flashed your ROM. You know, when they said there's new eMMC format with new ROM they definitely MEAN it.

3) You must know Joikuspot has some minor issue with your overclocked kernel, and even I'm not surprised to see it has other problems with stock kernel as well. Try mobilehotspot if you wanna build a wifi hotspot. I wrote my own script to make my N900 a wifi hotspot for greater flexibility and power-saving. If you'd like to try I can share with you.
1. I tried all available plugins when nothing worked anymore, I used before always Pecan and never had any bigger issues too (Except a lot of disconnects).

2. I flashed also the eMMC, I even created a thread because it was not possible to flash the eMMC in Windows on any of my devices here.

3. I noticed that it has quite a few issues, as I said on my first installation it killed the WLAN encryption. I thought a "paid" application would be at least stable and without any critical bugs, but I guess I thought wrong. The script could be useful but I never tested mobilehotspot yet and it doesn't has this shiny analog speedmeters

I develop on the phone, so I tend to play around with things quite a bit. But I've never rendered it unusable. You should always be aware of what you're actually doing entails. Anything that messes with the Kernel, over-clocking or whatever, if you're just a "normal" user, it's a bad idea.
Well I may should stop working on getting the WoW client running, seems that it's not healthy to run it on the N900

In myopinion: You either have faulty hardware resulting to these issues. Or you're doing something wrong. I never had any of these issues, and I flashed countless times because I like to mess with it.
Possible, but I didn't heard of a HW fault yet which kills most of the time only the contact list.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
3. I noticed that it has quite a few issues, as I said on my first installation it killed the WLAN encryption. I thought a "paid" application would be at least stable and without any critical bugs, but I guess I thought wrong. The script could be useful but I never tested mobilehotspot yet and it doesn't has this shiny analog speedmeters
And now it's obvious this thread is not about the N900, but about you not being satisfied with the quality of an application.

Bad software breaks most things. And when you take into account that you can change almost anything on a N900, you really need to know what you're doing if you leave the safe path.

For the most part, I've been flashing whenever the Maeno upgrades occurred:
PR 1.1 - not enough rootfs
PR 1.1.1 - did OTA
PR 1.2 - did not want to wait for OTA

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
No need to flash here. Everything i've heard or read about that joikuspot app sounded like it was trouble, so no surprises there. Perhaps your N900 has a defective flash storage chip?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Seems that I shouldn't install Joiku again after I flashed, would be at least nice if they send me the money back.

Well no idea, is there a way to test the storage chip?

I found the reason for the crashes, have a look at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...931#post702931 because it could affect also you sooner or later!

So the last "flash" was totally pointless, but I hope I helped at least the Maemo community that way.

Last edited by Crogge; 2010-06-07 at 03:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crogge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Only reason I ever needed to reflash was my own stupidity... But then my device does have quite a few low-level SW mods so I would expect some problems. Still it's not as solid as a desktop system sadly. So had to go with a few less mods.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils