Hi (I'm new to this!)
How can I use MSN/Windows Live Messanger on my 770? All my family and friends use MSn so the inbuilt IM's are no use to me.
I would be much obliged if anyone can help.

Many thanks,
Russ

The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle888 For This Useful Post:
Install Pidgin.

Regards,

Simon

Thanks for your reply. Do I download it to the PC?

I have downloaded Pidgin to my PC and installed it, I have registered my MSN account and my contacts show up. How do I utilise this the my Nokia 770?

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Eagle888 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Do I download it to the PC?
install it on your n770 instead. You can probably get it from maemo.org

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
GAIM works fine too. On both 770 and N800.

Originally Posted by frethop View Post
GAIM works fine too. On both 770 and N800.
Pidgin is gaim. THe name change was the result of a lawsuit from AOL.

As for the origional poster, Russ. On your N800 is an 'application manager' which you can use to both download and install software. The files are located in what is referred to as a repository.

Pidgin last I checked didnt have its files located on the default repository, so you have to add two additional ones. The Maemo site will have a link to the Pidgin page which has directions on how to install.

Maemo Downloads page: http://maemo.org/downloads/
Pidgin page on Maemo: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/pidgin
Pidgin homepage: http://pidgin.garage.maemo.org/
(You will need to add the repositories from steps 2 & 3 on the pidgin homepage)

Once you have the repositiories, you can install it with the app manager, you will need to select which files to install, theres the core part of the software, the msn client is a seperate file, as well as sounds, smilies, etc... You can also use this to get on AIM, Yahoo, Gmail (using Jabber), etc...

Good luck.

Is it truly possible to txt ppl on their cell using pidgin? if so, how is that done? thx

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Pidgin (or any AIM client for that matter) can send text messages. It's not Pidgin doing the work, but oscar.aol.com (the AIM gateway). To send text messages from Pidgin, add the phone number (+12125555555) where the "+1" is the Country Code (+1 is US) as a buddy to your list. Then send text messages to this newly added buddy.

Not much to it, but it's a nice feature. I use it for "IM'ing" my wife.

Thank you all - I've got MSn on my 770 now via Pidgin! Only thing is I have no sound when I get a new message etc. Ihave master volume on full and sounds enabled in Pidgin, I also installed the Pidgin sounds in Ap manager.