Posts: 90 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North Carolina, USA
I dont if its age or after getting the N900, but my eyesight is gone and have to use reader glasses all the time. BTW im 42, i guess im at that age. Anyone else have the same experience?

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by davbost View Post
I dont if its age or after getting the N900, but my eyesight is gone and have to use reader glasses all the time. BTW im 42, i guess im at that age. Anyone else have the same experience?
If you use any screen in the dark (i.e. large light contrast between the object you're focusing on and the background,) your eyesight will get worse (according to my eye doctor).

Yay for midnight cartoons as a toddler?
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Yep if I play with it too long my eyes go all blurry and I can't see.
I have to wear my glasses now to play angry birds for more than 10 minutes or I can't see for the rest of the day.

I am old too, 54 I guess it is being a sysadmin and sitting in front of computer screens for 12 -14 hours a day the last 20 years that has done my eyes in.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by davbost View Post
any one going blind using the n900
who said that? I know you're there.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

So I'm not the only one who struggles to see on the N900. I've just bought a pair of magnifying glasses :-O Also really pleased that there are a few more 'mature' owners out there and it's not just teens & twenties.

It's a myth. Your eyes do not suffer any permanent deterioration; there is only temporary eye strain.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by unkno View Post
It's a myth. Your eyes do not suffer any permanent deterioration; there is only temporary eye strain.
Prolonged eye strain in turn does cause your eyesight to get worse over time.

I did panic the first time it happened, though. All of a sudden I couldn't read anything.

As with anything... too much of a good thing can be bad?
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Not blaming the N900 for the deterioration at all - the years I've lived did that all by themselves! It's just working on the small screen that means I need the glasses - even with the font size up at max. I hate having to zoom any further as this makes scrolling a pain.

Originally Posted by xomm View Post
Prolonged eye strain in turn does cause your eyesight to get worse over time.

I did panic the first time it happened, though. All of a sudden I couldn't read anything.

As with anything... too much of a good thing can be bad?

Your eyes are relatively strong; eye strain should not directly result in any permanent damage.

http://www.agingeye.net/visionbasics/visionmyths.php

The Following User Says Thank You to unkno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North Carolina, USA
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
If you use any screen in the dark (i.e. large light contrast between the object you're focusing on and the background,) your eyesight will get worse (according to my eye doctor).

Yay for midnight cartoons as a toddler?
Thanks for the corporate answer. I know that my eyes will get worse reading this small screen. I was just wondedring if others were experancing the samething. I didnt need readers until my purchase. No big deal im just at that age and the N900 helped act my age I guess.