Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't think that people can be discredited by pointing out that they make typos or use "cuz" or are students, or are moderators on some other site. I think that logic should be sufficient. Furthermore, I think that the originator of this thread has been a bit more polite than some of the respondents.
Really?

Because I see a great deal of condescension and mockery in Liam's words. Given that he initiated the thread, with a flamebait-style post, he's only receiving responses in a similar tone... and I fail to see how anyone responding in kind is at fault.

There are more mature ways to express dissastisfaction with a product than Liam employed. Dropping a firebomb into a forum mostly filled with advanced, dedicated users of the product is asking for a fiery response. That's common sense.

EDIT: Liam1, there's an aggression in your posts that isn't necessary, especially the first one. That's the essence of my point. As for Geneven, he's s decent guy who seems to try to find decency in everyone, so don't get too pumped over his comment. He and I have disagreed over the rudeness of others here before... ( Geneven).

Originally Posted by Liam1 View Post
And just wait for this page to load..dum dee dum (10 seconds on a 6Mbps connection)
It loads in 2 seconds for me on a 5Mbps connection. See, this is where the abject bashing is pointless: people can and do have different experiences.

If I were you, I'd look into my router. Going from Verizon's provided router for my FIOS service to a Netgear MIMO router improved tablet web browsing performance considerably.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-08-20 at 16:15.

Sachin007, I'm not on tass.tv (Actually don't even know the site). Does the moderator there also invite the anger of the senior members there?
Anger? No, son, this is you being educated.

Just for clarification, I've been a computer engineer for the past 7 years, and was educated in a ivy league school, so there is no need to bash my education. I highly doubt that Iball's SAT/SAT2 scores could even rival mine in 1995, so lets not talk about butchering the English language , just 'coz' thats the way I spell 'because'
That's nice. I'd rather compare paychecks than SAT scores since in the end that's the only thing that really matters in education. The only ones who compare SAT scores and college backgrounds are tenured professors and minimum-wage slackers whinging about "the man" keeping them down.
But you're probably the exception that proves the rule.
I make six figures at the end of the year - after taxes - and have ZERO "college education" but that's offset by my certifications, training, experience, and the particular areas of expertise I specialize in. Rather than attend university and learn how to do keg stands, I decided to honorably serve my country. And that has paid numerous dividends in return.
Remember, you started this "education" nonsense by dragging in your "computer engineering majoring in parallel processing" in a vain attempt to garner some sort of "respect" here. Instead, you lost it. This is a TECHNICAL forum, no one here cares who has done what or been educated where and when. They care about how INTELLIGENT they are when it comes to discussing the pros and cons of this particular piece of information technology kit and how to make it better and do things the original creators - Nokia - never intended.
And for the record, in 1995 I was in Bosnia, designing information networks for UN and then NATO forces there while you were still taking your SATs.
I figured if you were going to throw in off-topic nonsense then I would see your bet and raise it.

And maybe I shouldn't have bought this tablet..as I've found my liking of the superb features was easily offset by my need for speed.
Then sell it and buy a UMPC.

Okay..no more whingeing from me..And just wait for this page to load..dum dee dum (10 seconds on a 6Mbps connection)
That's nice.*

*No one cares how long it takes the page to load for you.

I have to agree with TexRat: Even the post title is "offensive" . "Toy"? I use mine regularly for business. I don't think it's a 'toy".

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
If I were you, I'd look into my router. Going from Verizon's provided router for my FIOS service to a Netgear MIMO router improved tablet web browsing performance considerably.
Care to post a mini-review thread of the Netgear MIMO router for those of us who are interested?
I'm seeing them in stores lately and wondered how well they work, particularly the firmware's features and capabilities from a "real world" point-of-view.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
I have to agree with TexRat: Even the post title is "offensive" . "Toy"? I use mine regularly for business. I don't think it's a 'toy".
Hence the possibility he was flamebaiting. Someone wanting to engage in productive dialog doesn't poison the well with such provocative terms.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Care to post a mini-review thread of the Netgear MIMO router for those of us who are interested?
I'm seeing them in stores lately and wondered how well they work, particularly the firmware's features and capabilities from a "real world" point-of-view.
Yeah, I had a router thread here somewhere I could may be resurrect for that. Bottom line, the sucker is FAST but lacks many configuration features (has the essentials, though, just missing some bells and whistles).

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oregon
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
By the way: I have noticed that, in contrast to those
who say that the N800 is primarily for Internet usage, a lot of stuff I use it for
doesn't require the Internet most of the time: reading books or listening to
audiobooks, for example, or using the spreadsheet. I have been embarrassed
to discover that the Internet connection was down and I was so absorbed in my
N800 that I hadn't missed the net.
In the context of the orignal discussion (and for brevity's sake) as to what the N800 was/wasn't intended for, I failed to mention the offline functions which I use a good deal of the time on my IT as well. I'm a podcast freak and in addition to my Fedora box I also own a Macbook and have discovered an incredible (and free!) app for Mac OS X called SyncTunes that syncs my podcast playlist with the N800 beautifully. I use my iPod so little now I'm actually considering selling it.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
In terms of usefulness, MaemoMapper just showed its usefulness yet again this weekend and now that I discovered I can get the Google traffic on the thing I'll no longer be getting caught in traffic (as much as can be expected).
Slightly off-topic, but I just sold 3 770s over the weekend based purely on MaemoMapper with bluetooth GPS functionality and integration with Google's aerial/satellite imagery.

I will keep my promise of no longer complaining about the n800, as the posts here have clearly pointed out that the deficiencies are tradeoffs and negligible.

Texrat, actually on the web, tons of people refer to the n800 as a toy. Try it yourself, google "n800 toy", you'll find that the title I chose is not flamebait at all. Also, I'll look at my wireless router, maybe the problem is indeed in my configuration. Seems weird why my n800 would be slow, but the laptop bringing up each page instantly.

Iball, you seem like a very smart and experienced person. I would definitely like to compare paychecks with you, but I do not think there is a way to confirm each others claims. I earn about $220k/year, and I'll be happy to send you my pay slip, but I do not want to indulge in such shallow comparisons.

Okay, the n800 is great..especially the Maemo Mapper..so nuff said.

Yah.. Macs used to be called "toys" too. I'm jumping off a bridge tomorrow, care to join?