Active Topics

Hi Texrat,

Agree, but in the end, one still has to pay to use the software/service. No matter how, some software/service is not free. Applies to WM5/6 devices and most other OSes.

When Nokia launched the S60 phones, did they market it as a computer? I think only recently for the N80 onwards did they call it such. So, similarly, I feel that the N800 is an Internet Tablet now, but eventually, it can do so much more. But when? How long do we have to wait for some basic software to be put in? Eg. Calendar, PIM, Integrated Contacts etc.

Just like their phones, which had these basic things (which they never made a hoo hah about, but were there and really useful!) Nokia used to sell mobile phones but they had other software included...why would Nokia bother with the other software other than phone capabilities? I think it is due to user demand. Similarly, with enough user demand for PIM etc on the ITT, they may still provide it!

Luke

Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
it's interesting in this discussion that the Zaurus doesn't feature as an alternative to the N800 - also pocketable, can operate as a tablet, but has the swivel display/keyboard thing.
The Zaurus (and even the Psions !) appear here and there in some threads, but Sharp seems to have voluntarily stepped out of the game as far as advancing the platform is concerned (and they were never really in it in the first place, open source wise). Having had both, I'm not going back from 800*480 to VGA and external hack-it-yourself Wifi/BT...

It's a pity though, because something with the screen of the Nokias and the clamshell+keyboard of a Z (or better yet a Psion :-) would certainly be of interest (and very close indeed to the Fujitsu, except for Windows)...

But it seems all of the pioneers and old players are dead, so I guess everyone is looking for new entrants.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
But it seems all of the pioneers and old players are dead, so I guess everyone is looking for new entrants.
Which I think is one of the reasons why the iPhone did so well at launch (other than the massive internet hype).
It was "different". Problem is, most power users found it weak in featureset and lack of a freely available SDK coupled with the high cost not only of entry ($500-$600) but the high cost over just a two-year period alone (~$2000) turned most people off. And the die-hard Newton crowd just cried.
Ah, the Newton. Strange how no one mentioned that little OS. I had an old MP130 and loved it. Once the handwriting recognition was trained properly then it was a joy to use.
If we could get the HWR and PIM features of the NewtonOS crammed in alongside the other features on the N800 then I would love this thing even more.
(Yes, I know EInstein's been ported, I have no valid NOS image).
And for those craving PalmOS or PIM functionality, you do know you CAN run the PalmOS emulator on the N800, right? And it runs fairly quickly, I keep it on my tablet.

SSSSsshhhhh now, you'll wake up our Karel !! :-)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by iball View Post
Ah, the Newton. Strange how no one mentioned that little OS.
Newton? Newton?? What's that then?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
SSSSsshhhhh now, you'll wake up our Karel !! :-)
Hehehe! See the timestamps: Apparently weird minds think alike.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20070820PD203.html

This URL is about the fact that Asus is bringing their Eee's to the market in September.
Not the $199 model yet, though. I'll have to wait a bit more.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Oh, and I can't wait until you guys see what's coming...
But that's good, so i can compare it to the N800 with again newer firmware and newer applications.

Ton.

Last edited by Toontje; 2007-08-20 at 14:20.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Hehehe! See the timestamps: Apparently weird minds think alike.
Synchronicity, yeah. It helps that we are probably less than 300km apart - latency between charmed quarks and/or weird bosons must be negligible :-)

Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20070820PD203.html

This URL is about the fact that Asus is bringing their Eee's to the market in September.
Not the $199 model yet, though. I'll have to wait a bit more.
If Asus hasn't changed the other specs of the machine, and kept the SD slot, I'd rather go for the bigger battery than for the larger internal flash. The base model seems a bit underwhelming.

I stay by my statement that the Eee is a very nice machine for those who'd like their kids (niece, in my case) to get acquainted with real computers as early as possible.

Synchronicity, yeah. It helps that we are probably less than 300km apart - latency between charmed quarks and/or weird bosons must be negligible :-)
Hey! who're you calling a boson!?