Notices

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
fixed now thanks for the fast email response

The Following User Says Thank You to 77h For This Useful Post:
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by 77h View Post
@krk969
thanks for creating this piece of software
right after seeing it i have donated for it as i thought it looks useful. installation was difficult since in the install file on your website you list the wrong repo or have a mistake somewhere in the path. i installed extra devel (why extra devel?) manually and found buddy.
the install file used to work perfectly fine until recently.
The file file does point to the right repo ! as shown below.
Code:
[install]
catalogues = Extras-devel
package = buddy

[Extras-devel]
name = Maemo Extras-Devel
distribution = fremantle
uri = http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/
components = free non-free
But when its being added in the application manager , mysteriously the distribution is left empty which is the issue.
In PR1.2 they have added two distributions fremantle and fremantle-1.2 which is why you see this error now and not before. Im not sure if I want to do something about this now until its decided what the debmaster wants to do with the repos.
I suggest you use the application manager to install for now, by enabling extras-devel.
Or another way is when you install from the website and when the application manager asks to install the catalogue from the .install file, manually type the missing distribution as fremantle and all should work fine.

Originally Posted by 77h View Post
The key i received by email after donating did not work with the exact error message key invalid
the issue of the key generation was fixed. Post here.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=56
Probably you had the old release of buddy, anyhow glad to hear everything works now.

thanks.
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

The Following User Says Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MRyant View Post
Is it me or is there no option to change the language inside buddy? And also, I wasn't able to enter a currency sign which was longer than 3 digits like for example Swiss Francs (CHF). If you could implement these features it would be a tad better than it is now
Noticed this also and would appreciate if it is added in the next update and also remove the limit on the size of budget you can specify.

The Following User Says Thank You to doksng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by doksng View Post
Noticed this also and would appreciate if it is added in the next update and also remove the limit on the size of budget you can specify.
sure, I had this already noted down. There is an issue due to the display area limitations, so I may not have it unlimited.
cheers

due to this fix in PR1.2
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=75

/opt gets wiped out hence all the buddy data is gone.
As mentioned there, until the update arrives, I suggest you take a csv backup of your data before flashing.

cheers.

really appreeciate you helping me out with that..been trying to play around and see how to set it up best for my use as i had suggested before..hopefully you will bring that addition one day...or another idea i had was maybe have the option to use Description field as one of the columns in the Expenses page..or just add a new field there..this way i can setup a category called May..apply all my expenses to this category..and in the description (or new field) input expense type like food, taxi..etc

The Following User Says Thank You to snowman For This Useful Post:
Buddy Budget Program

Finally after a year of waiting a program that has both the visual graphic appeal of what the N900 is capable of in a 2nd party program and a simplistic user friendly design. Buddy budget program sets the bar of higher standards on what a common user expected from this device in the N900. With the simplistic uses to the end user of this program in the mathematical functions I can only hope to see other spin offs of this product such as Buddy Milage, Buddy Trainer, and other logging application. To the designer of this program Thank You! The only thing that I would have liked to have seen would have been a current balance of remaing cash on hand after expenses. Good Job, Very Good Job.

The Following User Says Thank You to backwoods For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by backwoods View Post
The only thing that I would have liked to have seen would have been a current balance of remaing cash on hand after expenses. Good Job, Very Good Job.
Thank you for the appreciation backwoods, a major motivation for all developers here to keep going a bit further
I think there are still areas of improvement and bugs to be found, but Im hopeful it will smoothen out, have seen some good feedback off late.

The current balance for each of your categories ( like food, gas, gadgets, bills etc... ) is displayed in the Reports-->Usage graph, there you can see how much of your budget has been used visually and also below each visual representation you have the budget/expense/balance amounts listed.
You can view this for any period you want.

Last edited by krk969; 2010-06-01 at 20:36.

Hai, krk969...

As we've been talking about elsewhere, I've been setting up a mockup graph showing something akin to a liquidity flow. Or rather, it shows expected income and expected expenses on a per month basis.

I don't really need a graph for this, I'd have most of it covered with the expenses list view. But I think this graph is very... Readable.

What is shown in it is:
- Per month, expected income. Budget, if you like.
- Per month, expected expenses. Aka recurring bills.
- Example graph is of an imagined setting where you have a fixed paycheck once or twice a month, plus some recurring bills. Some bi-annual, so expenses are higher in January and July. Some every 2nd month, some every month.

What is the intent of this graph?
Well, if you look at it, it's bleeding obvious that someone who doesn't plan ahead may have an terribly hard month in July. So, just by looking at it for a second, I'd realize that I have to save some extra money in June. What the graph underlines is basically which month you have to prepare for.

How would I fill in the data behind this graph?
Green bars is budget, 1M recurring.
Red bars would consist of several expenses.
Example:
$2500, 6 month(s) recurring, starting January 31st, ending when there's world peace. Instead of picking "prorate" or "do not prorate", I'd pick a third option, like "show at deadline" or something like that. So, it would add $2500 to the January and July bars.

Does this make sense? You could use the totals graph if it showed the "third" type of expenses as described. That way people could use it or not use it, without having to have another graph to understand.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
New version 0.2-4 uploaded to the repository.

Contains no functional changes but buddy is now designed to run on a Windows or Linux/Unix PC as well as on Maemo platforms.
So feel free to try it on your desktops now it does not need a registration for the PC version.

Instructions to download and install :

For Windows users
1. Download the file from here.
2. Run the installation , but do not change the installation directory keep it default for now.
3. Buddy will be added to your start menu and you can then run it.

For Linux/Unix users
1. Download the file from here.
2. Run the installation as root.
Code:
dpkg -i <<downloaded deb file>>
3. Run buddy with the commad
Code:
/opt/buddy/bin/buddy
You could create a shortcut to that.

I've left out a few functionality for now for the windows desktop versions like security features and password protection but other functions work just like the app on the Maemo platform(N900).
Security features will work on the Linux desktop version.

You can already guess what the next feature will be, but that will need a bit more time for now .

Last edited by krk969; 2010-06-05 at 20:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:

Tags
budget manager, budget planner, expense manager, money manager