Notices

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
From my experience, the initial lock requires a data connection, but once you have that, you can disconnect.

No. I said it the 2nd time. The GPS is not perfect, but it is NOT fair to keep spreading bad thing about the GPS. I honestly NOT trying to make any argument. At least for my gps, it DOES NOT need anything to use it. A-gps 'helps' to get a faster lock and that is it. Otherwise it is working by itself, I have seen it more than a couple hundred times and has taken it for 3 field trips, so far. Honestly, it is not very useful at the current situation. It does tell you where you are and that is it. If yours does not do that, there is a problem.

bun

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
Originally Posted by mece View Post
No, it's useless because most cars actually have a speedometer right on the dashboard.
Anyway, I think you meant it's useless for you then, because I, for example, have nothing against connecting over gprs or 3g to get a fix.
You will most likely find that most spedos actually clock you 5% faster than your true speed to avoid litigation against manufacturers due to speed fines incurred by inaccurate speedos.

Try going 130mph on yer speedo and then check your satnav, chances are you will be doing 120ish real speed.

fater you go the bigger the discrepency not entirely useless app

I got this app the other day. Thought it would be a neat time killer to play with while being a passenger in somebodies car but it totally sucks.

It needs internet connection to activate? WTH its GPS I dont need to pay for internet to use free gps.

I have a $20 USB GPS device I use on my netbook and while using microsoft streets & trips 2009 it gives me my speed and a compass too and I never needed internet connections for that to work so I know its possible.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
I got this app the other day. Thought it would be a neat time killer to play with while being a passenger in somebodies car but it totally sucks.

It needs internet connection to activate? WTH its GPS I dont need to pay for internet to use free gps.

I have a $20 USB GPS device I use on my netbook and while using microsoft streets & trips 2009 it gives me my speed and a compass too and I never needed internet connections for that to work so I know its possible.
go ahead, turn off assisted gps. after that you need some patience though.

f you can fit your $20 usb gps device into n900's bezel without removing anything, n900's gps is total fail. if you can't... maybe you got the point already.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Can it be that Speedometer is broken in PR1.2? When I start Speedometer it doesn't start the GPS nor does it ask to connect to the internet for assisted GPS. After 15 min. I still got a blinking zero on my screen.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
bug suprise an ovi app isnt great

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
bug suprise an ovi app isnt great
That's your opinion. I think (for example) Angry Birds is a great game. But that wasn't the discussion.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
He said an OVI app was poor, not that they all were. And it's not a surprise - OVI doesn't have the sort of public review and testing mechanism that maemo-extras has. There's no bug tracker, no -devel and -testing repos, no source visibility. Something can simply be dropped into OVI without testing, and by the time you find out it's crap you've already handed over your money and you can't get a refund for a faulty product.

It isn't surprising there's some rubbish in there.

Originally Posted by Cootje View Post
Can it be that Speedometer is broken in PR1.2? When I start Speedometer it doesn't start the GPS nor does it ask to connect to the internet for assisted GPS. After 15 min. I still got a blinking zero on my screen.
I have the exactly same problem with Speedometer. I installed it yesterday and I also have PR 1.2. installed.

Originally Posted by Cootje View Post
The same here! I installed Speedometer for the first time now after upgrading to PR1.2 and it has not worked at all, just a blinking zero!