Active Topics

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
RESISTIVE!!! WITH MULTITOUCH, hello meego for n900!

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Even engadget like it and they usually hate everything without a i in front
iNtel?

(paddingpaddingpadding)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to convulted For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by bbin View Post
It is a tablet. Days of mids and 5 inch tablets are pretty much over i think. It is either handheld (3.2-4 inch) or a tablet 8-10 inch. I don't think anything over 4 inch is really pocketable. Well okay HD2 sized phone is in the limits
I want a 10 inch touch screen tablet so I can sit on my couch, watch TV and do graphics design work.

Looking forward to Inkscape on a MeeGo tablet... ahhhh...

Originally Posted by RogerTHAcctant View Post
RESISTIVE!!! WITH MULTITOUCH, hello meego for n900!
No guarantees though. There are resistive screens with multi-touch support, but it likely requires hardware support the N900 lacks.

Just have to wait and see.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
That does look pretty good! And pre-alpha: that's only an alpha stage away from normal Nokia release quality, should be out soon!

Seriously though, it does look pretty nice. Hopefully they'll get one of those out pretty soon.

Six hour battery life, they said. Not iPad's advertised 10 hours (IIRC), but way better than ExoPC Slate's three hours (thanks to Windows 7).

Why would someone want a tablet with a three hour battery life? When a tablet really rocks is when you can use it all day, like our beloved N8x0s.

I'm not sure how I feel about the UX. A flashy UX is OK with me as long as you don't sacrifice functionality & responsiveness & as long as it doesn't get in the way.

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Six hour battery life, they said. Not iPad's advertised 10 hours (IIRC), but way better than ExoPC Slate's three hours (thanks to Windows 7).
Not bad for x86, for sure. Intel has a long way to go though.

I'm not sure how I feel about the UX. A flashy UX is OK with me as long as you don't sacrifice functionality & responsiveness & as long as it doesn't get in the way.
The UI probably needs work, certainly in how the back-end handles long load times and transitions between interfaces. Stuff just "appearing" and rendering partially shouldn't happen, instead fading into a completely rendered interface. But that's all refinements once the system is up and working (but before it goes out on devices.)

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Different generation of hardware - the MeeGo x86 tablet is based on Moorestown while the ExoPC is based on the previous generation Pine View chipset. Not saying Windows 7 isn't responsible for the cr@p battery life, but it's probably not entirely at fault so you can't really compare a Pine View tablet with one based on Moorestown.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL

Yep, forgot about the processor.

On a somewhat-related note, here's an article I found interesting that focuses on using the iPad (sorry!), but most of it would apply to the tablet form factor in general and thus most tablets of a similar size.

The author's most consistent complaint is figuring out how to hold it to type. That makes me realize how easy my N810 is to hold & type with my thumbs. But you can't do that with a 10" tablet, right? And it's apparently awkward to put it on your lap or desk and type. The author talks about holding it with his thumbs and typing with his eight fingers. Hmmmm...

Last edited by buurmas; 2010-06-01 at 21:53.