Active Topics

Originally Posted by sully View Post
I'm thrilled with the possibilities here. I have a 4 GB Apple iPod Nano and from it have become a huge fan of podcasts - and I'd love to be able to add RSS feeds for video podcasts and have them automatically download to my Nokia 770!

Any chance that this will also mean some built-in support for video podcasts in QuickTime / h.264 formats?
I think that's up to Nokia.

Is the new canola out already? and if not can anybody tell me when?
Sorry for being inpatient but i really have to know so i can mark my calendar.

You should mention what kind of app Canola is. Is it an app launcher, media player, or icon editor?

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oregon
Originally Posted by SITTgoodboy View Post
You should mention what kind of app Canola is. Is it an app launcher, media player, or icon editor?
It's a media player: Link
If you'd like information on a certain application you can always search the Maemo Garage site to find the project's web page where you will find a full explanation.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi guys!

Just to keep you updated : We are on track, integrating the UI screens =) it's a lot of detailed work this time, as we really, really changed a lot of things. We are running as fast as we can to try (TRY) to delivery a REAL version this year. This is not a promise as something can go really bad, but for sure we have a lot of good friends here on the forum that are our mates to put a beta to be tested, and this beta is going to be ready sooner (end of november)

Also just to remind the more "code" oriented guys around: this time, instead of fighting managers to open source it, canola is almost all in python. As some of you also know we are the maintainers and main bind creators of python, and we are not only happy that canola is python, but also other great applications like UKMP and so on. So : you will be able to write custom plugins, and I'm not talking about basic things only. We are preparing widgets that were impossible in the next version so people will really have a good time if they need something that is not there. As I keep saying the "core" canola is still quite simple, so expect the basic v1 + almost all the request made on garage + a real nice infrastructure to new features.

The only bad thing I'm sad to say is : we tried, but unfortunately there will be no Gapless playback. What we did was to try gstreamer on the device, no way. Then the Mplayer, also we were not able to and even Xine as backend to allow that, but still a minor "gap" between the 2 songs.

Now that we've tried everything we could, what we can do is to send the nokia platform guys and see if they can help in the future version of components to allow applications do to so.

Other thing that will be out of the first version is the localization with geoclue. Our plans is to make it possible first to use it easily then really implement as a plugin in the future.

See you soon!

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming (eg: what you really didn't like on the previous canola, what you missed, and what you would kill for =) )

Marcelo
on behalf of the canola team

Originally Posted by handful View Post
Hi guys!

Just to keep you updated : We are on track, integrating the UI screens =) it's a lot of detailed work this time, as we really, really changed a lot of things. We are running as fast as we can to try (TRY) to delivery a REAL version this year. This is not a promise as something can go really bad, but for sure we have a lot of good friends here on the forum that are our mates to put a beta to be tested, and this beta is going to be ready sooner (end of november)

Also just to remind the more "code" oriented guys around: this time, instead of fighting managers to open source it, canola is almost all in python. As some of you also know we are the maintainers and main bind creators of python, and we are not only happy that canola is python, but also other great applications like UKMP and so on. So : you will be able to write custom plugins, and I'm not talking about basic things only. We are preparing widgets that were impossible in the next version so people will really have a good time if they need something that is not there. As I keep saying the "core" canola is still quite simple, so expect the basic v1 + almost all the request made on garage + a real nice infrastructure to new features.

The only bad thing I'm sad to say is : we tried, but unfortunately there will be no Gapless playback. What we did was to try gstreamer on the device, no way. Then the Mplayer, also we were not able to and even Xine as backend to allow that, but still a minor "gap" between the 2 songs.

Now that we've tried everything we could, what we can do is to send the nokia platform guys and see if they can help in the future version of components to allow applications do to so.

Other thing that will be out of the first version is the localization with geoclue. Our plans is to make it possible first to use it easily then really implement as a plugin in the future.

See you soon!

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming (eg: what you really didn't like on the previous canola, what you missed, and what you would kill for =) )

Marcelo
on behalf of the canola team
WOW! THANKS!

Any more screenshots to show? ;-)

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
My requests..

1. please use the entire screen space as touch screen.... not only the bar.
2. I could never play flash videos or for that matter any other videos mplayer could play. please make this possible.
3. Some times some of the songs just dont play at all.... i have had to select the next track and then come back again to get it play. The arrow which goes around goes on forever.
4. In slideshow mode please allow for the user to toggle between the pictures just like in windows when you press the left or right arrrow for the next picture.
5. I never had the internet radio working on canola..... some others repported that it works... please make it easier

The most important thing i would love to use is " THE OPTION TO SEARCH FOR A PARTICULAR SONG USING THE KEYBOARD DEPENDING ON THE FIRST LETTERS LIKE THE WINDOWS SEARCH FEATURE IN VISTA"

i dont know if that is impossible..... but i would love to have that function.

@Marcelo Great news! Can't wait! Btw: Any news on that horizontal scrolling bug on the n800 due to the lack of vsync ? (just wondering cause i'm having that same problem with my own stuff on the n800)

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
My requests..

1. please use the entire screen space as touch screen.... not only the bar.
don't worry about this =) now we have a very nice, widescreen ui =) you can touch everything =)

2. I could never play flash videos or for that matter any other videos mplayer could play. please make this possible.
As we talked, that was not a "canola" problem, as we tried to use the maemo software components. Once we saw that it was not enough for all of your needs, we decided to create our own, so now we are not only able to play using mplayer but for example we tried also with Xine and so on. So now we have our own player (not osso media engine) that supports multiple players bellow and also is plugged into our download management for podcasts.

3. Some times some of the songs just dont play at all.... i have had to select the next track and then come back again to get it play. The arrow which goes around goes on forever.
This could be a lot of things, but mainly the osso media engine going crazy. this tings should be gone now!

4. In slideshow mode please allow for the user to toggle between the pictures just like in windows when you press the left or right arrrow for the next picture.
You can do that already can't you? or are you talking about the hardware buttons?
But for sure this will be on next version.

5. I never had the internet radio working on canola..... some others repported that it works... please make it easier
The whole URL + RSS feeds sucks because you need to get something in the browser than copy to canola (old configuration). We wanted actually to use mime types to alow a rss / pls click to go straight to canola, but I don't know if we will be able to do that on opera browser. Now that the configuration is inside canola I'm really worried about how the clipboard will work on this. but for sure one thing is going to happen : we are going to release with a good selection of radios configured.

The most important thing i would love to use is " THE OPTION TO SEARCH FOR A PARTICULAR SONG USING THE KEYBOARD DEPENDING ON THE FIRST LETTERS LIKE THE WINDOWS SEARCH FEATURE IN VISTA"
i dont know if that is impossible..... but i would love to have that function.
Yes, that was impossible in the first version because we had no keyboard. Now we are running to have the keyboard, and to be able not only to do that but also other things inside canola.

@Marcelo Great news! Can't wait! Btw: Any news on that horizontal scrolling bug on the n800 due to the lack of vsync ? (just wondering cause i'm having that same problem with my own stuff on the n800)
Unfortunately yes. It still happens, and things seems to be a little slower in the chinook. This is actually making me worried a little bit, but not more than I was when I saw the tearing in the horizontal scroll.

Our strategy? to avoid horizontal scrolls (so no scroll is need on the home anymore) we have now "fluid" layouts on most of the screen. Sadly it's a little bit more "economic" on animations to prevent the user from facing the tearing. Sad. Sad. I really thought that Nokia would release a fix for that.. but in the end never happened.

amigokin: No screenshots for now =) as we are doing the final graphics, and we are REALLY excited about them, we are going to keep them to the release =)
Excited : because I personally think canola has improved in all areas but the graphics now seems a lot like... Canola =) I think personality will be nice in the version =)

Keep suggestions coming =) before we freeze everything =)

my canola refuses to read my id3 tags can anyone help?