Active Topics

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I have a fixed IP address at home, so I don't need their dynamic update feature
If you have a fixed IP address at home, why don't you host your DNS at home then? There are DNS servers for every platform you can think of. I run DNS on my Wifi router, for example.
Unless your domain is business critical and your internet connection or DNS server is not reliable enough, you can easily host DNS at home. It's not that much traffic. Well, when you're not using DNS tunneling, that is...

Ton.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Hmmm, the best explanation on how to set iodine up is on http://code.kryo.se/iodine/iodine_manpage.html.
Why didn't i look there first?

Ton.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Göteborg, Sweden
If I understand this correctly you will need two public IPs if you are going to run your own DNS. One running the actual DNS server and one running iodine.

I use http://freedns.afraid.org/ for my iodine domain. They allow creating NS records pointing to you IP/hostname.

so is it all working in the end?

Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
If you have a fixed IP address at home, why don't you host your DNS at home then? There are DNS servers for every platform you can think of. I run DNS on my Wifi router, for example.
Unless your domain is business critical and your internet connection or DNS server is not reliable enough, you can easily host DNS at home. It's not that much traffic. Well, when you're not using DNS tunneling, that is...
Because you can't run both real DNS (Bind etc.) and iodine on the same IP, they both use port 53. You need an external nameserver pointing to your fake one for that specific domain.

Thanks for the pointer asinus, I'm taking a look there.

Man, good find, this is exactly what we need. You don't even need to use your own domain, you can create a subdomain in one of theirs and point it to yourself... slick, and fast to setup too.

Now on to see if this thing actually works...

Today I successfully established a DNS tunnel with iodine. I tested it at different hotspots from two of the major wireless operators in Sweden. Both are using unencrypted networks with web login.

Here is my recipe (exchange mytunnel.mydomain.com with your subdomain):

Run iodined on your server:
Code:
iodined -f 10.9.0.1 mytunnel.mydomain.com
Choose a password.

Save this shell script on your tablet and run it as root. It will change the default gateway so all traffic is routed through the tunnel. Enter the password you chose above when asked:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

DOMAIN="mytunnel.mydomain.com"
IFACE="wlan0"

RESOLV="/tmp/resolv.conf"
GW=`route -n | tail -1 | cut -d ' ' -f 10`

for NS in `grep nameserver  $RESOLV.$IFACE | cut -d ' ' -f 2`
do
  echo route add $NS gw $GW $IFACE
  route add $NS gw $GW $IFACE
done

echo iodine $NS $DOMAIN
iodine $NS $DOMAIN
route del default
route add default gw 10.9.0.1 dns0
This script makes a few assumptions on the output of the route command but it has worked for me.

To stop the tunnel, run:
Code:
killall iodine
This will not restore the default gateway. Just reconnect to the network if you want it back.

Thanks for the script ! I was thinking of writing on but you beat me to it... I haven't even got to testing my setup at a hotspot yet :-)

Edit: how is the performance you saw ?

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
how is the performance you saw ?
I didn't have time to test it that much but it was pretty slow. Good for checking your mail but probably not for any serious work.