5 inch screen and 1ghz processor with 1300mah battery

good luck with that

oh yeah, and it is releasing with android 2.0, hah, isn't that like nokia releasing a n910 that can only run pr1.1?

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
From my short exposure to a Streak: Its pretty awkward to hold in one hand and looks ridiculous next to someone's head.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
two things:

1) people debating screen technology may find this interesting: http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/N...to-156-inches/

2) my biggest issue with the N900 was that it was a phone. Even if i didnt need to use that part, it still adds to cost and so made the N900 a bit more expensive then i could handle. On that note, there was a leak about some dell plans a while back, and it showed a potential option for a non-phone streak. Fingers crossed, especially as the requirements for google android 2.1 compatibility shows phone to be optional. This unlike 1.6 where it was required.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I think much depends your own personal use scenario. The mobile phone aspect of the iPhone justified the purchase of my 3GS in terms of cost. However the making and receiving of actual phone calls represents the least usage that it gets. Call me Norman No Mates I guess!

I spend much more time on Web browsing, emailing, maps, gps, music player for ogg flac etc., video player, umpteen databases, todos, reference source for medical information, dictionaries, ebooks, shopping trolley, assorted note taking, and so on and so on.

Nearly all of which would benefit greatly from a larger 5” screen. So for me, since it is also a mobile phone, it would be worth the extra bulk as an everyday carry. So in that sense I agree with the OP.

Although it is more what I had hoped that the N800 would evolve into rather than what the N900 could be. But then the appeal of the n900 has completely passed me by.

At the best of times, I have no interest in physical keyboards and all the more so now that I have Shapewriter on the iPhone.

All of which is just my opinion based on my experience but each to his own.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Is the streak running android 1.6 at the moment?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
I think much depends your own personal use scenario. The mobile phone aspect of the iPhone justified the purchase of my 3GS in terms of cost. However the making and receiving of actual phone calls represents the least usage that it gets. Call me Norman No Mates I guess!
thing is, i have a perfectly fine featurephone, and i would much rather use it for any data connectivity needed outside of wifi range. This as keeping either a dual sim, or a second contract becomes expensive in the long run.

Also, i can bring the featurephone anywhere, while i may leave the tablet at home if i feel it not worth the risk.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
i made a mock up of the streak.. printed off screenshot stuck to 3 pieces of cut out corrigated cardboard to see how the size was..
it's thin.. very thin.. and big.. very big.. even compared to big things like the hd2
it's also easily pocketable if u only wear big baggy jeans.. but in a suit type thing.. i think it'll be a no go..
As far as onscreen keyboards.. you do get used to them.. I'm ok on my 5530, and that's pretty tiny.
My biggest problem with it is still android. i don't see why manufacturers insist on all this customisation. surely a stock implementation that can be updated as soon as a new version is available is by far the prefered option?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/21/d...and-wifi-vide/

I don't know how real the video is, but it looks like Dell has found the Internet Tablet form factor, after Nokia lost it with the n900. n810 turning over in his grave.
Don't think it is fake... even tho the guy holding it has 11 fingers!!!
5 on left hand 6 on the right... how cool is that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Brunorange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I have a fujitsu U820/U2010 which has a similar sized screen but is very chunky; however, if I could detach the screen it'd be a perfect tablet for me. shame that rollup or foldable screens have eluded us.

The screen is ultra hi-res (1200x800) - so much so that I had to tweak screen fonts etc to make things easy to read! 1024x600 in a 5" screen is plenty.

I don't actually make many voice calls and I'd be happy to use a wired or better a bluetooth headset most of the time; when I used my n800 for voip it was fine to use speakerphone or just a headphone and its built-in mic. I suspect if I had the Streak I would get a £20 almost disposable 2G-only nokia phone (these often have excellent battery life) for voice calls and treat the phone part of the streak as a data device and emergency-only voice calls.

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
I suspect if I had the Streak I would get a £20 almost disposable 2G-only nokia phone (these often have excellent battery life) for voice calls and treat the phone part of the streak as a data device and emergency-only voice calls.
Back to more and more devices in my pocket though with that plan. The reason I like my N900 and the whole concept is integration, only 1 small device for music, phone and quick internet access as opposed to a phone and iPod device and a netbook or MID.

Tags
competition, dell, fresh-air, i has it ;), just shoot me, no keyboard, no linux, notnokia, wotnokia?