Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by AaronL
I'm pleased to announce the first version of a VNC Viewer maemo port. ...

It's available at ...

Aaron Levinson
Aaron,

May I suggest that you edit your original post to note that a later version is available? That way new visitors to the site won't download an older version of your software.

Roger

VNC is so awesome on the 770. I wish there was an option to reduce resolution on server side when connected. Because when you manually select 800x600 you almost only have to scroll up and down. On the full screen mode maybe disable the scroll bar and the side scroll is eliminated.

Originally Posted by ttpcomp
Thanks, but even with the Firewall off, no result.
Are you on the same IP segment...maybe some routing issue? I've had this problem before...with not being able to connect unless on same ip segment.

Ctrl and other state characters: not currently supported. I plan to support this in the 0.3 release, although I might release a 0.2.1 release with some basics, such as Ctrl-Alt-Del. You can probably do this using the xim input method with a BT keyboard.

Password caching: I won't be adding this feature. Instead, users can use a tool like Password Safe (recently announced in the App forum), copy the password of interest from the Password Safe dialog, and paste it into the password field of the authentication dialog. I haven't tried this myself, but I think paste is possible by holding the pointer down on the password field, which should bring up a context menu with an option to paste.

About dialog: good idea. I'll look into putting a link on it that will take the user to a page with the latest version.

Audio being sent from the server to the viewer: The VNC protocol doesn't provide support for audio (except for a simple beep), so I don't see it happening any time soon. In contrast, the RDC protocol provides support for audio, and it is my understanding that someone is currently working on an rdesktop port (he goes by incarnis at ItT).

Portrait mode: I'll put it on my list of potential features to implement. It's possible to provide a portrait mode in vncviewer.

Inputting user name: The VNC viewer doesn't currently support the input of a user name, if the VNC server is such that it requires a user name. It's likely that your VNC server doesn't require a user name and you can ignore this field, which is disabled.

Editing the original post: good idea, change made.

Providing option to eliminate the scroll bars: good idea. This is now a reasonable feature to provide since the hardware movement buttons can be used to scroll the window, which was not true in the 0.1 release.

Aaron

Last edited by AaronL; 2006-01-03 at 22:12.

Here's what I get when I run the vnc client while trying to access my ubuntu box. This happens whether I use vino or real based vncserver that I got from the ubuntu breezy repository.

vncviewer[700]: GLIB WARNING ** GLib-GObject - invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GtkWindow'
vncviewer[700]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_window_set_transient_for: assertion `parent == NULL || GTK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed
vncviewer[700]: GLIB MESSAGE default - Desk name='ubu's X desktop (ubu:1)'
vncviewer[700]: GLIB MESSAGE default - Desk size=800x480, Default depth=16
vncviewer[700]: GLIB MESSAGE default - Sending request for full update
vncviewer[700]: GLIB ERROR ** default - file rfb.c: line 679 (getNextRectangle): should not be reached
aborting...
Aborted

Hope that helps...

Hi all,

A new version of my VNC viewer port is now available, version 0.3. This release provides a number of new features and includes some bug fixes. In addition, the source code is finally available. I've included relevant parts of the changelog below:

* New feature: added toolbar toggle button (it has the keyboard icon) that displays a menu that allows the user to perform various keyboard activities. These include sending Ctrl-Alt-Del, holding down or releasing the Ctrl, Alt, or Shift keys, sending the function keys (F1-F12), and sending the Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, Insert, Delete, or Escape keys.
* New feature: automatically displaying connect dialog when vncviewer is started
* New feature: host combo box automatically populated with most recent entry the first time the connect dialog is displayed
* New feature: added persisted setting that allows user to turn on/off scrollbars
* New feature: persisted fullscreen setting
* New feature: added about dialog
* Bug fix: addressed issue that prevented some settings from being persisted
* Bug fix: fixed inappropriate parent window specified for name/password dialog
* Bug fix: Prevented assertion from occurring when an unrecognized encoding type is returned by the server for a rectangle. If this situation occurs, the connection is now forced to die, but at least it doesn't crash as occurred in previous versions. Also added a console message that prints out the encoding type.

What does this mean? It means that this version of the VNC viewer has most of the features that users have requested. This includes the ability to send various keys that are unavailable from the virtual keyboard and the ability to turn on and off the scroll bars. In addition, the bug that resulted in VNC viewer crashing for some users has been addressed. The crash will no longer occur, but VNC viewer is still not functional for VNC servers that are configured such that previous versions of VNC viewer would crash. The problem is that these VNC servers are reporting an encoding type that is not supported by VNC viewer. Users should either change the server to use a different encoding type or switch to a different VNC server implementation.

The package can be downloaded at http://www.aracnet.com/~alevinsn/vncviewer_0.3_arm.deb. If an older version is installed, uninstall it before installing the new version. The source code can be found at http://www.aracnet.com/~alevinsn/vncviewer_0.3.tar.gz.

Enjoy!

Aaron

Last edited by AaronL; 2006-01-09 at 02:41.

This is is a real nice app. Thanks for updating it, looks really nice without the scrollbar and also being able to send control-alt-delete is awesome.

At work I use it to access my desktop. And I tell people that I'm running windows xp on the nokia 770...they don't beleive me until I show them the screen. hahaha.

At home I use it to play music to my receiver. I have a JVC RXD702, which came with a usb card that you install on the computer. Then you can stream music wirelessly to the receiver. The only bad thing is you have to do it at the computer instead of the living room. Now I can just vnc from my nokia 770 to the computer and pick out the music I want to play on the reciever. This might change if I decide to get a media player...but in the mean time it works!

Excellent! Thanks for this Aaron, for me this is the killer app I've been waiting to use.

And as it happens, its my birthday today! Thanks! Far better than the socks and dressing gown thats likely waiting for me at home

Congrats on a great job.

Cheers
Brian

Fantastic ! A true killer app for the 770, and in a timely fashion too. Thanks again !

Well, it seems I have it working... or not. I am using RealVNC, and when I connect from the 770, it first is realllllly slow, but I get my Windows logon screen. Then, if I log into a user on the computer, the screen never changes. I suspect this is because it appears that when I log back into the computer using the vnc client, it drops the connection. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: OK, TightVNC seems to work only a little better, but the viewer just, never seems to do anything... it will show part of my desktop, and then appears to freeze...

Last edited by fermunky; 2006-01-11 at 04:57.