Active Topics

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yes, giving ragnar input has potential.

Anyway, I started a "perfect UI" thread here a while back that got pretty interesting (and a bit heated). Maybe you could contribute to that discussion, Firebird.
(hi ragnar!)
Hello Texrat.

Yeah, I should recheck that thread again. All ideas are certainly welcome. Now quickly looking at Poky / Angstrom / GPE doesn't really ... blow my mind away.

I think what he is looking for is something like fluxbox window manager. I too would like to see that as well

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
There's certainly nothing stopping anyone writing a new full-screen new UI, possibly based on "whizzy" UI principles and effects like the iPhone.

In many ways, this is what the future of Canola is half-promising (will it deliver, we'll have to wait and see...)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Canola is teh sex.

I really like the UI design that Ubuntu Mobile is working on. See the images at UI wiki.

I see some similarities between what the Ubuntu folks are working on and what has been done with Canola. I'd really like to see something like this for IT. I've only had my n800 since last week but I've already started work on theming it to look somewhat like the Mobile Ubuntu wiki. I've never done this kind of work before though, so I'm learning as I go along (like FirebirdFeuervogel, I'm a graphic designer and I haven't done any UI theming before). There are aspects of the current IT2007 UI that don't work for me though and it would be nice to have an alternative.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Remember, that's Hildon under the hood, so...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Hmmm, do i see some similarities between Canola and Ubuntu?

I guess that's a coincidence?

Ton.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The Ubuntu wiki page also gives you step-by-step instructions on how to recreate the same UI on an existing Hildon install.

Aye up chaps,

First post in this forum.

I recently got my 770 and I love the beast. Sure, it's not the best in the range but it does the job.

Wanting to change the appearance and interaction I started toying with openbox, etc. but they are oriented to desktops therefore the interaction with the tablet is somewhat cumbersome.

I agree that a new approach would be very nice, in fact, I've been looking for a project to start coding for the tablet and this might actually be it.

Needless to say, I'm no graphics designer, more like a programmer (and even bad at that) but I'm willing to put the effort. So, could someone please direct me to a thread where the action is? Or maybe a project I can join and start contributing?

From the top of my head, the Ubuntu UI looks nice, I don't know about the interaction because I haven't tested it (if that's even possible). Still, the iphone approach seems to the be the preferred one for this type of device and I agree (until something better appears).

Anyway, cheerio!

U

Wait'll Karel Jansens shows up... you guys talking of putting the iPhone <spit> interface on an IT!

I'd like something more finger-friendly; the problem, though, is many apps are not designed to display well smaller than the non-fullscreen size. So it'll be difficult to make a bunch of apps work well if you reduce either width (below about 700px) or especially height (below about 400px for some apps, others respect the stylus-board and display fine at ~300px).
I don't want an iCandy interface on my N800. I'm after more functionality, which is not what sets the iPhone <spit> apart. A different sort of finger-interface would be nice, but it's seriously difficult at this point to make it work well with old apps. When the N900 comes out with a 1024x800 screen, such changes can be made. (You guys are working on that now, right Ragnar?)

Edit: forgot this part which I intended to include:
We don't want an iInterface for our ITs because:
  • We don't have tiny screens (so pinch-zooming and panning aren't as necessary)
  • We don't have real multi-touch (so pinch-zooming is not as easily possible)

Last edited by Benson; 2008-01-16 at 15:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: