Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Swirnoff View Post
I don't get it...how the switching works, and charges

So with the Sidekick $1/day (pay-as-you-go) you can only either talk for a day, or surf the internet without receiving any calls?

If I want internet for school work, and later that day talk to a friend, I'd have to pay $2?? And then if I need internet again, I have to pay another $1? Or is it no extra to use internet as long as you switch back to voice before 12?

How do they know, the next day (at 12 when the charge me), whether to put me on the voice option of data option?
No, the $1 a day plan costs $1 max for all the times you use the Internet that day, PLUS a charge for calls you make (charge per minute). PLUS it costs an extra $1 if you switch plans more than once in one day.

They know what to charge you at midnight because you stay on the same plan unless you specifically change it.

The best way to understand these options is to either read the options online, as I did, or break open your piggybank and invest, say, $20 in finding out. It's cheap and easy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
for anyone going to USA for a holiday and wanting cheap & cheerful net access, the T-mo PAYG SIM + sidekick $1/day plan + Tor (from extras-devel) is really the IDEAL solution.

In April I went NY - Virgin Islands (US + British) -> NY -> LA -> San Fran -> LA and (except for a couple of days in BVI) I had uninterrupted 3G web access the whole way for $1/day.

Skype out (even on a yacht in the carribean, on 2.5G and with Tor enabled) worked seamlessly - though I later realised that Tor wsn't needed as Skype was happily transiting the T-mo firewalls without any need to enable Tor. I even had Tor configured to give a UK exit point and was able to fire up iPlayer in my hotel room (over wifi) to catch up on a crappy show that the wife was b!tching about missing :-)

Like Geneven says - it's a no brainer, just pre-install Tor, go buy a SIM and have a play. Being able to fire up assisted GPS while roaming, make skype calls whenever you want, and receive incoming calls to/from US callers on your US cellphone # without the horrendous international roaming charges you get on your domestic # .... what's not to like? Just pop your own SIM back in the phone every so often in a wifi zone to check for any missed calls/texts. Simple :-)

Last edited by Pigro; 2010-05-21 at 10:04. Reason: remembered that iPlayer was accessed via a proxy on my UK home LAN - tried Tor but it was too slow

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Has anyone had problems with tmobile sidekick plan in the last day or so? I got an n900 last week, and a sim card on wed that I put on the sidekick plan. It worked fine until yesterday, it said
'Sim card registration failed'
I thought I was out of minutes, cause it only came with $3 worth on the card.
I bought a $10 refill card, and successfully applied that, but I am still getting the exact same message.
I tried removing the sim card, booting the phone without it, turning it off and putting the sim back in. I still get the same error when it boots.

I am on hold with tmobile now, to try and see what is wrong. I hope tmobile didnt blacklist all the N900s from the sidekick plan. Anyone else that has an N900 on the sidekick plan, please reply and let me know if it is still working or not.

Originally Posted by moisturerichsoy View Post
I am on hold with tmobile now, to try and see what is wrong. I hope tmobile didnt blacklist all the N900s from the sidekick plan. Anyone else that has an N900 on the sidekick plan, please reply and let me know if it is still working or not.
I'll pay $1 and go try this right now!

I'm on the Sidekick plan right now on my N900. It works normally. As mentioned on my numbered message a ways back, calling Tmobile is not what you should do about this kind of problem.

Edit: By the way, I was on wireless when I switched my plan from Pay by the Day to Sidekick and instantly got a text message confirming that the plan change had happened. That's nice.

Here's some other information. A reminder about APNs. The APN I'm using for this Sidekick thing is epc.tmobile.com.

But another thing I have played around with lately is the APN wap.voicestream.com.

It allows you to do some Internet things without an Internet plan at all. I could, for example, use m.yahoo.com and read my email. There's a recent thread about that on this site -- I think the header mentions prepaid tmobile like this one does.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-05-23 at 00:23.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Atlanta, GA
Just noticed you can use Google over SSL on T-zones: https://www.google.com

This just keeps getting better and better

Mine stopped working completely, suddenly, at about noon yesterday. I can make phone calls, do wifi, etc. But my GPRS just quit. While I was using it.

Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
Mine stopped working completely, suddenly, at about noon yesterday. I can make phone calls, do wifi, etc. But my GPRS just quit. While I was using it.
I had to use mine at home last night when my cable Internet went down. It worked ok, as usual. I'm using the epc.tmobile.com apn, not wap.voicestream.com.

Silly me. Reboot fixed it.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berkeley, CA
I cannot use DialCentral to make GoogleVoice calls.
Using WiFi it works, but when on t-mobile 3G instead of logging in, DialCentral always says https://www.google.com/voice/m is not accessible.
Anyone using GV with t-mob + Tor? Any suggestions?

Last edited by asasan; 2010-05-28 at 07:59.