Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Nice to see another indian in here.

When it comes to Apple, the USA is the only country that matters.
Apple gives less than a damn about any country other than the US, so your comments about ANYTHING overseas killing the iPhone are moot.
Apple doesn't care if they don't sell a single iPhone outside the US, they've pretty much already made their "bank" on the iPhone for the next 5 years right here in the USA with a lucrative (and ridiculous) contract they suckered AT&T into.
A type of contract that no other provider on the planet would agree to, so Apple knows that they won't be making as much per iPhone sold in other countries.
It's like saying "dolphins are going to kill the iPhone".
The N800 has NOTHING to do with that type of market at all, and probably never will wi-max or no wi-max. Nothing stopping Apple right now from slapping in wi-max capabilities into a future iPhone except one thing: wi-max isn't reaching enough of the US population within the next 365 days to make it worthwhile spending resources on internal R&D.

The "thing" you want is already available. It's an HTC product and is huge and ugly as hell.
Go buy that instead.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
If these sales figures: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...ge=1&pagepos=4 are remotely correct, it would appear that Apple has a large European following. The halo effect could easily bleed over into iPhone sales. As this very forum illustrates, the IT is not a mass consumer device while the N95, iPhone, and similar devices are geared and marketed towards the average consumer. The IT does not fit this bill. The average Joe has no need for SSH, scripting, or hacking their devices. They simply want something that works. Once again,the IT misses the mark. If the next version iPhone has GPS built in, and Steve Jobs is no dummy, I would say that Nokia and the other manufactures are in deep kemchi.

Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
If the next version iPhone has GPS built in, and Steve Jobs is no dummy, I would say that Nokia and the other manufactures are in deep kemchi.
Not if there still isn't 3G HSDPA support, no user-replaceable battery, and it's $600+.
Europeans aren't stupid. They've had superior cell phone technology in Europe (and Asia) for years now and they are always about 5 years ahead of the US in that particular technical arena.
I know. I lived there for the last thirteen years.
You also have to remember that Apple has to abide by not only EU law but by each individual country's laws as well, and that can lead to them selling either a completely different iPhone from the one today or to not selling one in Europe at all.
How many of you in Europe are still waiting on iTunes TV shows or movies? Exactly.
And after the DRM & iTunes debacles Apple has had in Europe recently, I wouldn't blame them one bit if they just flat-out told Europe to "fsck off" when it comes to the iPhone.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Not if there still isn't 3G HSDPA support, no user-replaceable battery, and it's $600+.
Europeans aren't stupid. They've had superior cell phone technology in Europe (and Asia) for years now and they are always about 5 years ahead of the US in that particular technical arena.
I know. I lived there for the last thirteen years.
You also have to remember that Apple has to abide by not only EU law but by each individual country's laws as well, and that can lead to them selling either a completely different iPhone from the one today or to not selling one in Europe at all.
How many of you in Europe are still waiting on iTunes TV shows or movies? Exactly.
And after the DRM & iTunes debacles Apple has had in Europe recently, I wouldn't blame them one bit if they just flat-out told Europe to "fsck off" when it comes to the iPhone.
You might have a point about the HSDPA. The battery issue is moot. The sales figures for the iPod have shown, people will live with not being able to replace the battery. You are correct that Europeans are more sophisitcated than the US when it comes to mobile telephony. I have been living here for the last 20 year in Germany, Belgium, France (yuck), and currently Finland, so I know the mentality here when it comes to phones. I have no doubts that Apple will do what it has to do to meet the EU regulations regarding selling phones in the different EU territories. This is how it is done, pretty much the same way Nokia and SE do it globally as well. The good thing about this is that the European phone will more than likely be better than what was initially offererd in the US.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
You are correct that Europeans are more sophisitcated than the US when it comes to mobile telephony.
You should've used full stop after US.

Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
You should've used full stop after US.

Well as an American living in Europe, I can not completely subscribe to your way of thinking, however if you continue with this line of thought, we will be forced to bring Democracy to your country.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
(...) Er, just joking of couse!