Active Topics

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
Anything else does not make sense from a business standpoint.
Getting feedback to your platform from userbase as big as this doesn't make any sense to you? Getting bug reports doesnt make any sense? I think that making meego fully functional on n900 makes lots of sense in business standpoint.

Then again we can argue that does Nokia's executives really understand that quality, speed and agility are all what should be ingredients in good business. And most importantly LONG TERM SUPPORT so you can establish userbase that is loyal to your products. Of course you can make short term "good" business by selling people half done products (N97 anyone?) but backslash is going to be quite bad on long term.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
I'm not particularly finding issues that require a PR 1.2 fix (just one related to certificates/wlan). However I'm very concerned at the who release/maintainance process.

What I'd expect from an open platform is a regular stream of updates & communication -- not
- a complete blockage in the process (PR 1.2)
- without any clear, regular updates

I personally stiill struggle with the whole monolithic update concept. On ubuntu, fedora & can choose which feeds/repos to subscribe to & choose the level of expected stability I want, balancing a better supported environment against more aggressive access to changes.

I'm also expecting this means a switch away from
- ship a device with a particular OS version that only receives minor fixes
- ship next device with a later version

to a more flexible choice where handsets can be upgraded continually after shipment for an extended period of time (3 years+)

Furthermore as an "emerging" platform I think it's critical that the strengths of the open approach are demonstrated -- right now maemo isn't really much different to android is it?

Will meego be better -- ie why should I choose this over Android or iPhone. What are the USPs?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to planetf1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
I'm not ready to put my faith in any OS that's pretty much just a terminal session so far. Nokia has f'd me with big Maemo talk, and I learned my lession.

*shops craigslist for an N1*

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
We can hope for Maemo 5 to be supported by a dedicated team for quite a long time and have a MeeGo development platform on the N900, but not a full, Nokia-supported upgrade path with Maemo5-like functionality and proprietary applications. This is how this business works, but also because of the multitouch capacitive screen the MeeGo device is going to have (this is confirmed), some (maybe many) usage scenarios will simply not function on a resistive, single touch device. So an official upgrade path is a no-no. Everyone is invited to install the MeeGo image with Handset UX, but don't expect much.

I will be glad to be proven otherwise, but that's how I see it and I think it's closer to reality than many of you imagine.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
We can hope for Maemo 5 to be supported by a dedicated team for quite a long time and have a MeeGo development platform on the N900, but not a full, Nokia-supported upgrade path with Maemo5-like functionality and proprietary applications. This is how this business works, but also because of the multitouch capacitive screen the MeeGo device is going to have (this is confirmed), some (maybe many) usage scenarios will simply not function on a resistive, single touch device. So an official upgrade path is a no-no. Everyone is invited to install the MeeGo image with Handset UX, but don't expect much.

I will be glad to be proven otherwise, but that's how I see it and I think it's closer to reality than many of you imagine.
Although you are probably right about Nokia not supporting Meego due to business decisions (and thus losing a lot of early adopters customers in my opinion!!), it won't be anyway related to hardware differences like capacitive displays. Meego is supposed to run on a variety of devices, and some of them may even not have a touch screen at all... Capacitive screen is by any way a requirement to run Meego, so it can't be used as an excuse to not officially supporting an upgrade to Meego on N900. For me at least, if Nokia announces it will just release bug corrections for N900 and let the community build a Meego version for N900, it would the sign that Meego is destined to fail on its fight against Android and iPhone, keeping Nokia to the low-end market share with Symbian...

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
Although you are probably right about Nokia not supporting Meego due to business decisions (and thus losing a lot of early adopters customers in my opinion!!), it won't be anyway related to hardware differences like capacitive displays. Meego is supposed to run on a variety of devices, and some of them may even not have a touch screen at all... Capacitive screen is by any way a requirement to run Meego, so it can't be used as an excuse to not officially supporting an upgrade to Meego on N900. For me at least, if Nokia announces it will just release bug corrections for N900 and let the community build a Meego version for N900, it would the sign that Meego is destined to fail on its fight against Android and iPhone, keeping Nokia to the low-end market share with Symbian...
MeeGo is supposed to run on a variety of devices in its basic form, but the Nokia MeeGo version (formely known as Maemo 6, which still has Debian roots AFAIR) for the future device is not, it's only for new devices. So forget about MeeGo on the N900, it's only for developers and nerds. Maemo 5 is what it is, it's going to be improved.

I can't stand reading these reactionary opinions about "Nokia losing early adopters". What early adopters? To Maemo 5? There will be updates for many months to come.

Nobody ever promised anything and suddenly people feel untitled to a free upgrade to a completely new, partially proprietary system for a completely new device. Looking back at history, Nokia has *never* backported a new system to an older device, *never*. Be happy with hardware support in the basic MeeGo image with proprietary hardware drivers included, because that's already a lot, by Nokia standards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Looking back at history, Nokia has *never* backported a new system to an older device, *never*. Be happy with hardware support in the basic MeeGo image with proprietary hardware drivers included, because that's already a lot, by Nokia standards.
Bull's Eye

The Following User Says Thank You to resplendent2209 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Actually, at the start of March we got the answer from Konttori:

So at least until March 1st, and probably even until now, Nokia ignored bugs.maemo.org. Maybe the "fixed"s were added by a script that selected bugs at random.
If you are wondering about numbers please have a look here. There is a sharp decrease in the number of bug fixed from the end of March up to now.

Source : http://www.octofish.net/bugjar/

The page you promote is not correct. Please stop promoting it. Or at least put at the top:

"Everything here is Nokia Marketing. It is not true."

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Last edited by Matan; 2010-05-20 at 17:56.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Nobody ever promised anything and suddenly people feel untitled to a free upgrade to a completely new, partially proprietary system for a completely new device. Looking back at history, Nokia has *never* backported a new system to an older device, *never*. Be happy with hardware support in the basic MeeGo image with proprietary hardware drivers included, because that's already a lot, by Nokia standards.
Never? I'm running Diablo OS2008 on my N800 which came from the factory with Chinook OS2007 on it. After the N810 was released, Diablo became available for the N800's as an upgrade. Perhaps not really a backport, but an older device got an upgrade to the new OS that came with the new (similar hardware) device.

Perhaps many around here, felt the same thing would happen with Maemo 5/6 and the N900/???. The idea that for good reason Nokia broke the upgrade path from Maemo 4 to Maemo 5, would enable an upgrade path to Maemo 6 from 5. It seemed as though the hardware on the next device would be similar, so there shouldn't be any technical reason to prevent upgrading (much like the N8x0 series).

Except that now the N900 is the red-headed step child that nobody at Nokia wants anything to do with. Maemo is no longer the future, MeeGo is.

Tags
black hole, vortex of dumb