Active Topics

having plugged mine in to many hotel and friends and work tvs, i can tell you that the quality of the picture varies greatly between tvs and is more about the tv than the n900

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by acou View Post
So what's the color depth for tv-out?
The TV-out is an analog signal so the concept of color depth does not really apply.

I have a tv that was "very good" some years ago when I bought it (some Philips 100hz thing), but I also find the picture too dark to be pleasant (I played around with picture settings on the tv, but it's too cumbersome). And also the sound is too silent, even when I put the volume on the N900 to 100%. On the N900 itself the thing is blasting my ears of then, but when connected to the tv, the sound is very low ...

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The TV-out is an analog signal so the concept of color depth does not really apply.
Erm, let me rephrase.

What is the value of the color depth of the (digital) video signal which is then sent to the TV via (analog) composite?

See also this abandoned thread for further clarification.

Originally Posted by acou View Post
Erm, let me rephrase.

What is the value of the color depth of the (digital) video signal which is then sent to the TV via (analog) composite?

See also this abandoned thread for further clarification.
It comes straight from the framebuffer, so it starts at 16bpp (5/6/5). Whether there's any further reduction, I don't know, but keep in mind TV signals operate in non-RGB colorspaces (YUV/YIQ), so trying to track bit depths is not as meaningful as it might appear. Obviously, converting 16-bit (5/6/5) RGB to 16-bit (?/?/?) YUV will have different effects depending on the relative bit depths, and will include a loss of precision in any case.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Works great on my trusty Sony CRT (KD34-XBR960). I just bump up the brightness and contract and the picture is very acceptable imo. The cool part is using my Nokia BH-604 bluetooth stereo headset to control audio/video playback from across the room.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 410 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Fife, Scotland.
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
It comes straight from the framebuffer, so it starts at 16bpp (5/6/5). Whether there's any further reduction, I don't know, but keep in mind TV signals operate in non-RGB colorspaces (YUV/YIQ), so trying to track bit depths is not as meaningful as it might appear. Obviously, converting 16-bit (5/6/5) RGB to 16-bit (?/?/?) YUV will have different effects depending on the relative bit depths, and will include a loss of precision in any case.
I looked at the datasheet - it's not really clear - but implies there will not be significant truncation - the inputs to the colour generator stages are all as wide as the input data.

The major loss of precision is in the chroma bandwidth. For NTSC - it's around 150 pixels across the screen of different colour.

The relevant file is http://mxr.maemo.org/fremantle/sourc...ap2/dss/venc.c
You might try playing with the 'gain' values. However - this may saturate the output.
The DAC claims 0.88V into a 75 ohm load.
I tried sticking a scope on it, but diddn't get the video output to turn on - must be doing something silly.

Last edited by SpeedEvil; 2010-05-19 at 11:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpeedEvil For This Useful Post: