Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I will let gerbick talk to any technical point on what files/folders to remove - BUT if you intend on doing a lot of cleaning and/or access the files on your tablet a lot I really recommend getting openssh and WINSCP setup. It makes the whole task soooo much easier (and the setup is about...5 mins).
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I will let gerbick talk to any technical point on what files/folders to remove - BUT if you intend on doing a lot of cleaning and/or access the files on your tablet a lot I really recommend getting openssh and WINSCP setup. It makes the whole task soooo much easier (and the setup is about...5 mins).
Cool, is this a matter of installing each of these from the App Mgr? If not, please provide some info

thx

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You know... I've been thinking of just that silvermountain. I don't run my system like that; I might have to research, document and post that too.

Great idea.

Okay coos, pertaining the themes...

via the terminal: cd /usr/share/themes, then ls, rm -r <name> where "<name>" is the one you're deleting.

So for instance, it will be rm -r Glasser to delete Glasser. Repeat but take notice that I suggest that you do not remove Emacs, default and Default (redundant, I know).

I remove all but: echo, Emacs, default and Default here.

Mind you, I'm using a different image background already from the standard Echo theme (the only theme I keep, you *should* keep one standard one as well as Diablo5) so with that said...

cd /usr/share/backgrounds and from there I remove all *.desktop except the ones I'm keeping as well as default.desktop, you'd keep default.desktop, Diablo5 and whichever you decided to keep (I keep Echo) as well as (if it's not in use) all of the *.png files.

rm *.png will kill the pngs. You have to do the desktops one by one using the rm command. Do not use rm *.desktop or else they'll all be gone and your machine will not work right.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Cool, thanks...will work on this after bit!

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
Cool, is this a matter of installing each of these from the App Mgr? If not, please provide some info

thx
Ah, this I can answer having done this install a number of times

This post is a great step-by-step install process. It really only takes 5-10 minutes and once you have used it once from your PC/Laptop you will never want to browse files on your tablet again

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=228133&postcount=1

I use this to browse, delete, copy, rename, open, edit...you name it...files on my tablet.

Before I reflashed and reformatted I used this to simply drag and drop the folders I wanted to save to my PC to an N810-folder I keep there.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

another question:

gerbick mentioned the repositories are guilty of taking up quite a bit of space internally.

Is there any documentation on the amount per each repository (even a proximity) ?

Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
another question:

gerbick mentioned the repositories are guilty of taking up quite a bit of space internally.

Is there any documentation on the amount per each repository (even a proximity) ?
Rough estimates, in descending order:

Maemo Extras-Devel: 6.9MB (should be kept disabled for more reasons than space),
Maemo Extras-Diablo: 3.4MB
Maemo Extras-Chinook: 2.2MB
RTComm Beta: 0.3MB
Nokia Catalog: 0.2 MB

(All other repo's that I have are 0.1MB or less:
Nokia Catalog (3rd party software)
Collabora Catalogue,
Fring,
Kawseq Consulting,
Mitrandir's,
Qole's Repo)

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
thanks silvermountain:

Also, do I assume correctly that even though you remove the repositories from the Application Manager that it WILL NOT give you back that storage space?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
If you disable them; you will get your space back on reboot. On reboot, I believe it apt-get clean and apt-get remove as well as tries to clear out any tmp files.

If you remove them, on refresh/reboot... same thing.

COOL thanks!

FYI: started reading your blog, good stuff!