Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
next thing im looking at is activation maemos swap and disabling android Low mem killer (somehow suspect its not really going to be needed much on 200+mb ram
It's still needed. The Android process manager is actually very efficient for a pretty decent range of system sizes. You should look at tuning the /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree variable (check out the thread at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666 for some investigation), but certainly don't disable it.

Even on my Nexus one (which has ~400MB of usable RAM for userspace applications), Android is reliant on the memory killer.

Also note that you don't want a huge swap, unless the N900's NAND access is _really_ fast. It's often faster to suspend/resume processes in Android than page parts back into working memory.

BTW, great work. Hoping you get back to the N8x0 port sometime, so I can use my N800 again. :-)

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
I guess this question is for either titan or DJ_Steve...

How do we leverage kexec in titan's kernel to boot Android off of the microsd card? Do you still need bootmenu or how do you configure the Android boot option?

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Australia
Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
I guess this question is for either titan or DJ_Steve...

How do we leverage kexec in titan's kernel to boot Android off of the microsd card? Do you still need bootmenu or how do you configure the Android boot option?
kexec allows you to boot one kernel and then transfer to another (as well as another rootfs). So if you were looking for a dual boot situation with titans kernel for Maemo and a kernel for Android, you can run a script in Maemo (with titans kernel) to change over to the Android kernel and boot MMC.

The Following User Says Thank You to Termana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
that soujnds like best way if we can do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
ok just had to post this link here when i saw it on twitter - - http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/12/n...und-the-edges/ << im beginning to get slightly famous ere

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
ok just had to post this link here when i saw it on twitter - - http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/12/n...und-the-edges/ << im beginning to get slightly famous ere
Yes, I agree, there's clearly too much at stake to continue this highly rewarding effort of porting android to the n900. I think I speak for everyone when i say that this port is now a lost cause, and that work on porting android to the n8X0 devices should resume as usual.

jk have fun with your new, cool friends :'(

lol n8x0 will be back soon im still thinking on how toget sound working on them

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:

I sent that last night. I thought they were never going to post it. Hahah

lol looks like ya wrong ive got more progress than that vid neway now just need to get vidd done later

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Now all we need is Android 2.2 running on the N900.... xD <3

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
android, cool stuff, froyo on n900, nitdroid