Active Topics

Hiya

I just got my N770 it paired with my phone and I was browsing in no time.

However the device is very crippled as it lacks a file browser or even bookmarks?!!?!?

I mean come on a "INTERNET TABLET" that lacks these basic features isn't worth its salt, what was nokia thinking

Shame really, as N770 really is a great device but it is reallly crap at the same time.

I can't even save files from the net!!!!

I'm not a dumbass either but maybe its just me but considering I literaly just got the device and neither file browsing or directory view are working.

I have the latest firmware from nokia so it can't be that.

I have a niggling feeling it's the 1gb memory card I'm using as virtual memory.

Does everyone have this problem?

I googled but came across ranty posts much like this one that were of no use whatsoever.

EDIT::: OKAAYYY it appears my N770 only likes being looked at and thats it, NOTHING ELSE works, i.e I go to "Teach Handwriting" cooooooool me thinks I can teach it my crappy handwriting, I press "ADD" exit to main screen.

Much of the other functions are like this anything that actually interacts with the filesystem gets booted, filemanager crashes as it updating so does bookmark editor.

Internet Browsing is GREAT works fine doesn't crash nothing which is a relief, and the system itself has yet to crash forcing a reboot which is also good.

BUT NOTHING WORKS GODAMIT!!! do i have to Superuser this damn thing?
If so how the hell do I if theres no bloody terminal! linux with no terminal?!?!?!? I'd rather have that than this buggy ui.

XTERM right? welll how do I install it?

Application manager I hear you cry? well no I doubt that will work as any type of directory view boots you to main screen

Can I get a Serial connection setup on this thing so I can see what the freck is going on?

15mins into my n770 experience and Im this frustrated I never thought it'll be this bad, but at the same time i've fallen in love with the damn thing.

Last edited by OmarNawaz; 2007-08-03 at 12:37.

No bookmarks? No file browser? I don't follow. The 770 has both of these features.

Page 27 of the manual has information on bookmarks and clicking on the applications icon brings up the File Browser. I've been installing apps / saving files off the web all day...... Am I missing something?

nope does nothing for me

crashes to main screen everytime so does every other function apart from web browser, connection manager.

I think I got a fake N770 or something I knew £70 was way too cheap.

Is it possible to build the kernel image myself?

That way I can nuke anything that doesn't work?

Can't seem to find no repositiies

What does nothing for you? When you say 'crashes to main screen', what crashes?

70 quid was what I paid for mine (same price a lot of us here paid). Where did you get it from?

Might I suggest that if yours isn't working, either you're not using it correctly or you've installed something that's bricked it or the unit is duff.

Update

It appears when Virtual Memory is enabled any app that uses the card goes south, well for me at least.

I've disabled virtual memory hwoever perforamnce is noticabley slower

Dude, that first post was the most insane stream-of-conciousness babble I have ever read.

Everyone else has file browser and bookmarks, so this should work.

Try to reload the firmware.

yeah sorry for first post, frustrated mad taptaptap

Put it down to 2 1/2 weeks of waiting and a lack of sleep.

I bought mine from expansys they were great, it was the postal strike
that fubared things for me.

Everythings fine with the 770 now that I removed the 1gb card

I suffered the same problem. Expansys didn't reply to a single email I sent either. Still, I'm happy now : ) Glad your beast is working.

Man I loooovee this thing

Thanks for all the help, this forum is great!

Nothing like finding a solid user base for such a cool device.

I'm patched into the house security system from ANYWHERRREEEE!!

It is so damn cool, 3g coverage is pretty good in my area, I'm getting a solid connection though latency is obv a issue.

I was watching Big Brother today kicking back smoking a doobie ontop Hampton Hill.

This like the best spent 70 quid ever IMHO for the money it does a shitload, and plus you get to feel like a propa spy/techhead.

NOW onto to my next mission time to mod the **** out this baby!!!

WHERES MY MULTIMETER BYATCHHHHH!!!!

EDIT::::

Originally Posted by Mantic View Post
I suffered the same problem. Expansys didn't reply to a single email I sent either. Still, I'm happy now : ) Glad your beast is working.
Yeah they never answer emails, I just rang them direct and they were pretty helpful.

Not as jubilant sounding as I'd like, but hey I've had enough of Valium pumped "customer call operatives" who run you round in pointless circles coughvirginmediabroadbandcough.

"In your house there are plug sockets which you plug in plugs to "POWER" things, you with me so far?

Ummmm Yes?

Okay now your router has these "PLUGS" which can cause problems with your internet that you are not aware of

ummmmmmm yes?

Now what I want you to do is switch off your pc go to your router and make this "PLUG" is "PLUGGED" into the "SOCKET".

OMG!!!!

I know I know alot of people don't realise how complicated this actually is"

At that point I hung up I wish I was joking

Last edited by OmarNawaz; 2007-08-03 at 22:58.