Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Really sucks, the iPhone has thousands, and all we have is EVERY SINGLE .swf IN THE INTERNET...

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums, but been lurking ever since becoming intrerested in the N900, finally got one last saturday, and I have been loving it. Yeah it's big and heavy for a phone, but it's tiny for what is basically a linux netbook (and more)..

Hopefully going to delve into porting stuff, I have my eye on something right now with source code available, so I'm going to use that as a project to start investigating...

http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/loun...more-apps.html

ill link you to a intresting thread and discussion i took place in the other day mate

qt will help alot, please look through that thread and check the video links

a iphone app was converted to qt in two days , another devoloper coded a app in about 2 hours , rovio have ported angy birds and bounce to qt and shazam have even got on the qt bandwagon , its looking promising

the most intresting thing though hearing many devolopers singing the devolopment tools praise even though when they used it , it was still alpha software

give the n900 a chance mate its early days its only just getting released in some countrys and with the n8 supporting qt and a whole lot more devices planned iam sure will will see alot of devolopment

paitience is a virtue :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:
Well, just have to wait.... i guess by the time N900 got thousands of apps, your N900 is already end of life. LOL!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You could have searched on the title you've used... this kind of thread has been started over and over before.

How about this... what type of apps do you find lacking?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
@gerbick I think you've missed his point.

I actually disagree with his point. Flash files designed for PCs are not in any way an equivalent for the App Store.

Either way, this has been done to death.

Close the thread please mods!
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

The replies definitely missed my point - How many people have a facebook app installed on their laptop? Or an app to check weather or football scores?

None. To me, a lot of apps seem to fill a gap left if your device cannot browse the internet and see all the content in pretty much the same way as you would on an actual computer..

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I would be happy to delete all the 'web apps' on my iPhone when the following elements are incorporated to regular browsing:

- Small screen optimized layout
- Offline optimization: good sync capability, upload queueing facilities, etc
- Touch optimized UI

Otherwise, I enjoy using the apps more than the web front end (yes, this includes iPhone's safari and N900's browser).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tedri,

I think the way the original post started off was why many responses missed your point about swf. But yes there is an abundance of them out there. Which ones are particularly useful on the N900?

I yeah, I was definitely laying the bait for you all, I'll freely admit!

This thread was basically inspired by another thread where the OP stated he was going to swap his n900 because his friend's fone had an amaaaaaazing function where it listed nearby restaurants etc. Now, sat in front of a laptop, would you search for a program to download/buy with the same function, or would you just google it? I know which I'd choose and it is exactly this which means a 'lack of apps' isn't actually a big deal at all...

The Following User Says Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
I yeah, I was definitely laying the bait for you all, I'll freely admit!

This thread was basically inspired by another thread where the OP stated he was going to swap his n900 because his friend's fone had an amaaaaaazing function where it listed nearby restaurants etc. Now, sat in front of a laptop, would you search for a program to download/buy with the same function, or would you just google it? I know which I'd choose and it is exactly this which means a 'lack of apps' isn't actually a big deal at all...
The difference (as ysss points out though I don't agree fully with what he says) is that a laptop would have alot more screen real estate.

A laptop is also likely to be hooked into a fast connection while even with 3G some sites take time to load (especially ones that are designed for desktop/laptops). Though I personally don't think an app store (or an app for each website) is the solution, rather it's to properly design websites for mobile usage.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...