Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by resplendent2209 View Post
True. Apologies for that. Battery drain worries me.

N900 is a Super Computer.
inactive connection shouldn't drain too much battery. at least with 3g I probably spend the saved power from not being connected when my device uses processor cycles to run the app. but on an other hand I am connected to IM always when my device isn't in offline mode....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by resplendent2209 View Post
True. Apologies for that. Battery drain worries me.

N900 is a Super Computer.
The default setting for all WiFi connections is the most aggressive power management. This means that the WiFi module will power down as soon as you're not sending data. This includes not receiving attempts to connect to the phone.

To actually stop the WiFi module from sending any data, you need to get down on driver level. libiw lets you do this. As long as it's not completely turned off, it'll continue to check if you've moved into the reach of any defined WiFi connection.

So, the actual gain in disconnecting from whatever WiFi AP you're connected to seems almost nonexistent as long as you use power management. But I'm sure people have done the measuring to get the data.

I can't really comment on 3G data connections since I haven't inspected that (yet).

And yes, the N900 is a Super Computer.

Last edited by Joorin; 2010-05-06 at 10:14. Reason: Typo