Ive given up trying to find one in Vancouver, but in 3 days I will be travelling throught the Hongkong airport, and I read here that the nokia store in the airport has the n800. Will I have any problems with buying it in Hongkong, language-wise? Like are there going to be problems for me, I only know english.

This is not an authorative answer, but as far as I think I know the N800 includes all the supported languages in all devices.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Iax View Post
Ive given up trying to find one in Vancouver, but in 3 days I will be travelling throught the Hongkong airport, and I read here that the nokia store in the airport has the n800. Will I have any problems with buying it in Hongkong, language-wise? Like are there going to be problems for me, I only know english.
I'm not sure about this, but I think you should be able to update the firmware anyway so you can choose the language then?

I am actually from Vancouver, and I brought a N800 on a short trip to Seattle.
I actually brought it a few weeks before CompUSA closed down most of their Washington stores

The only serious problem is that Nokia apparently won't honour the warranty if you're not in the area where you bought the device.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ United Kingdom
Plus, presumably, you may have the wrong power plug?

The power plug im not too woried about, because i could just use a converter or by a new one ebay, But im going to in SE asia for over a month, so its even less of an issue.

Im just worried about weird chinese buttons, or locked down firmware.

hi, this is my post, i ain't any expert on anything but on thid topic i can be of some help, i work at the hk airport and i can tell u that n800 aren't available there since nokia don't sell the n800 here in hong kong. i've managed to get mine at a computer centre in wan chai if u know where that is in hong kong where they sell these imported n800.

Thanks for the info. Im only go to be there a few hours, so I wont have time to leave the airport.
Hopefully thailand or malaysia will have some place that has it...

I picked up mine from Singapore- but this was actually a direct import from HK as they have not yet been released in Singapore. No problems at all (I'm from the UK)- the firmware is universal, unlike Nokia phones, and there is no regionalisation on the HK model I have.

BTW you will not find one of these in Thailand yet- they're actually pretty thin on the ground in APAC at the moment.

If you do get one from HK, I would definately unbox it at the store and make sure it fires up OK and has no dead pixels. I went through a couple before I found one I was happy with, and even then the backlight is a bit uneven on the right hand side (but then I'm a fussy git)!

Good luck!