Active Topics

ok, just changed all my settings in transisitions control app to 0, needed to reboot cause got stuck in portrait, but after reboot even faster, phone portrait to landscape and vice versa is instant now

Originally Posted by ujwalsoni View Post
Ermm..I think there's a bug here..phone seems to get stuck on portrait mode (not in a good way) every time I exit the phone app..

Tried uninstalling the app..no use..still get the new transitions + the portrait bug..

Any suggestions?..sorry for being quite the noob..

restart the phone worth re installing transitions control too, maybe first, change settings then restart

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I don't keep any of my transitions to zero, maybe that does something, it was never meant to be zero.

Fast transitions are nice after a while.

The rotate percent is how much the rotation is done. At 50, half of animation is done, meaning it starts at a quarter of animation, does half of it and then skip the rest.

It looks better at some less then 100 because it gives the rotation feeling but takes less. Even a 20 percent is pretty nice.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Sorry to jack a thread but what would be cool is if we could change the transitions! Anyone know how to go about this? I will start looking into it if I get the time

Already developed transitions are done by the OS.

AFAIK you'll have to modify the window manager, in this case I believe Hildon. Good luck with that.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
it wont install for me just keeps saying unable to install, why is this?

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Already developed transitions are done by the OS.

AFAIK you'll have to modify the window manager, in this case I believe Hildon. Good luck with that.
Aaah right. Maybe some look into the source code will find it. I've had a peek and from what I have seen (very little ) it is clutter they use for the transition animations. I don't know any C though so trawling through the source code will be difficult for me. Willing to turn this into a project though if any one is interested?

Not as bad of an idea, but it has its difficulties:

a) Need to patch Hildon, meaning modify every-day-use code. Perfection is required.

b) You need people with GOOD grasp of C, as well as (likely) hardware knowledge for the acceleration. If you just plan on scolling the other way, no. But animation isn't very easy.

c) You need to keep up. Every release Hildon is modified, so you need to re-integrate your patch, assuming it doesn't break when Hildon updates, like external libraries.

Quite the work and lots of bumps in the road. Now if Hildon has external animations in libraries, then you have a shot. Likely, no.

Also, I like the idea of new and cool animations but

a) I am NOT installing a beta window manager, like I don't do custom kernels, because I need it to work before I need it to work well. It's my phone, not a toy.

b) Smoother/better/longer animations eat more CPU, GPU, memory, etc. Remember, battery is quite small. The reason N900 works is because it's very, very efficient. Nice animations might drop the device from 8 hours to 4, rendering it unusable. Even a 10% drop in battery life is quite noticeable to me, because I routinely get home with < 30 %, meaning on a long day I'm gonna run out. This means I can't rely on the device to route me in an emergency, e.g.

'Tis quite the endeavor you are looking at. If it were easy, it would have been here already

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by Jinux View Post
Sorry to jack a thread but what would be cool is if we could change the transitions! Anyone know how to go about this? I will start looking into it if I get the time
The transitions.ini I have features a different rotation transition, because the author "didn't like the original."

I'll write back when I figure out how he did it.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-04-27 at 23:49.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Not as bad of an idea, but it has its difficulties:

a) Need to patch Hildon, meaning modify every-day-use code. Perfection is required.

b) You need people with GOOD grasp of C, as well as (likely) hardware knowledge for the acceleration. If you just plan on scolling the other way, no. But animation isn't very easy.

c) You need to keep up. Every release Hildon is modified, so you need to re-integrate your patch, assuming it doesn't break when Hildon updates, like external libraries.

Quite the work and lots of bumps in the road. Now if Hildon has external animations in libraries, then you have a shot. Likely, no.

Also, I like the idea of new and cool animations but

a) I am NOT installing a beta window manager, like I don't do custom kernels, because I need it to work before I need it to work well. It's my phone, not a toy.

b) Smoother/better/longer animations eat more CPU, GPU, memory, etc. Remember, battery is quite small. The reason N900 works is because it's very, very efficient. Nice animations might drop the device from 8 hours to 4, rendering it unusable. Even a 10% drop in battery life is quite noticeable to me, because I routinely get home with < 30 %, meaning on a long day I'm gonna run out. This means I can't rely on the device to route me in an emergency, e.g.

'Tis quite the endeavor you are looking at. If it were easy, it would have been here already
Yeah, I will pass then I think

Originally Posted by xomm View Post
My modded transitions.ini features a different rotation transition, because the author "didn't like the original."

I'll write back when I figure out how he did it.
Alright, cool!