Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
@guy2die4, it's not pinch to zoom in this game, it's just swiping your finger up and down.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by guy2die4 View Post
not sure if many ppl have tried this....pinch to zoom-out works in angry birds as well....it enables you to see the full pitch on the n900 screen...it is not as smooth but works....
lol just swipe one finger up or down it will zoom in and out...

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Originally Posted by guy2die4 View Post
not sure if many ppl have tried this....pinch to zoom-out works in angry birds as well....it enables you to see the full pitch on the n900 screen...it is not as smooth but works....
In angry birds you can move finger up and down to zoom in/out no pinch.

Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
@guy2die4, it's not pinch to zoom in this game, it's just swiping your finger up and down.
ur faster than my n900

Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
to all (I'm the author of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNTsIut1h98):

this is extremely simple and common knowledge, Engadget simply failed in posting that as some kind of revelation. There are even scientific papers on this topic (including some more advanced techniques for recognizing this kind of gesture).

In short: it is not comfortable to use this technique for pinch to zoom (is someone reaaally wants to try this, PM me), as the problem is that we have two moving points. However, if we think about using that for one fixed point and one moving point, the usecase can be interesting.

Think about this:

Where the big circle is an analog stick and buttons are.. well buttons If the pseudo-multitouch it is easy to be able to control the analog stick and SIMULTANEOUSLY discover press of the button. Which would be nice control in the games.
wow! i really wanted to find the author. do u have some demo app that i can try out? did u write this in qt or just standard c++?
engadget is only gonna be busy on speculating why apple store is down..

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
How on earth can you do fake pinch-to-zoom?
Fake multitouch works on the basis that the screen reports the mid-point of two press locations, so software can detect that a swift motion of reported coordinates is probably another finger press at twice the distance of the reported move.
Pinch gestures however don't alter the mid-point of the two points of contact - you're moving your two fingers in opposite directions - so how is software supposed to tell what's really happening?
Impossible, I say!

@vitaminj, "you're moving your two fingers in opposite directions"
That's where the trick is, with fake thing you can just move one finger from the other, to move the midpoint.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
I think this looks very nice - the practical usability is there and since it's now a commonly used gesture it would be nice to have it on the N900 as well.

Could it be possible to create a plug-in for the photo browser?

IMO any ported pinch to zoom app should use the proximity sensor as the pinch to zoom trigger then your first touch with the other finger can be the zero reference point, then you can rotate and zoom as usual.

hopbeat the idea for an analogue stick and buttons is really interesting. would pressing the buttons cause the analog stick to misbehave depending on how hard you press the button?