Active Topics

I wouldn't recomend it.

Would recommend you wait for the HTC Evo. Or if you want a phone now, the just released HTC Desire is not bad either.

Ultimately, it depends on how you use your mobile phone. Personally I got my N900 the week it was released and have been disappointed at the lack of support and development for the maemo OS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vdx29 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
There will always be something newer, even more amazing on the horizon. The question is when do you want a new device? If you are going to need one within the next few weeks then no, there won't be a N900 successor. If you can wait till end of this year then yes, there might be some sort of successor available from Nokia.

N900 has a couple of glitches yes. There are some typical "phone" related things missing, yes. It doesn't have a "portrait mode", yes. But on the other hand side I never even considered this thing as a (smart)phone, I always looked at it as an "Internettablet with phone functionality" and using it this way, it is very satisfying. Had a couple of devices lately (E90, HTC Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2) but I haven't been as satisfied with a mobile device before as it is with the N900.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't think there is a "next big thing" waiting in the wings, but if you want to wait three to six months, things might be clearer then. Or you could probably really get future tech if you waited five more years

Someone just posted an update today saying he was getting a handwriting recognition system working and the implication was that was going to be really ready to go quite soon. I think there was a demo you could try -- if you had your N900, so hurry up!

I think you should just get it, ignore the naysaysers. You might have a period of time in which you could return it if you really hate it, but I think you'll be impressed, as most of us are.

for everyone telling him: JUST BUY IT,... that doesnt help at all...
because when he comes whining on later, you will tell him "shouldve researched before Ha Ha Ha Ha" , or "another troll"...

To the op:
You cannot expect ANY new functionality.. this phone still cannot do what the ads say, let alone ADDED functionalities... Updates will come (although a few years late) and only fix BUGS...

Those software devlopers at Nokia are just eating crisps the whole day and getting lazier and lazier...

Do you know Linux?? can you use the x terminal??
Do you need multitasking?? N900 is best at it
Do you need full flash?? how many times do you browse?? Again plus point
Do you need a good phone?? N900 is a bad one :P
Do you need good battery life?? Crap

also, you need 2 hands to do anything with the N900..
Its possible, but very impractical to even unlock the N900 screen with one hand...

choice is yours.. gd luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Taigatrommel View Post
N900 has a couple of glitches yes. There are some typical "phone" related things missing, yes.
could you give examples?

Originally Posted by Raubtier View Post
it was a default function with my n98, its really mind boggling why the n900 is unable to do this.
did you really mean N98??

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
for everyone telling him: JUST BUY IT,... that doesnt help at all...
because when he comes whining on later, you will tell him "shouldve researched before Ha Ha Ha Ha" , or "another troll"...

choice is yours.. gd luck
Please point out when I've ever said anything remotely like that.

You are full of it to make a blanket accusation like that.

this phone still cannot do what the ads say
Such as?

Do you need a good phone?? N900 is a bad one :P
The N900 is a good phone. But a phone is simply a new subset of functionality added to Maemo. Depends on how important it being a phone is.

Do you need good battery life?? Crap
Well if you use it heavily, the battery life will be terrible. Pretty much every other device out there has equivalent battery life.

Originally Posted by Raubtier View Post
could you give examples?
sim card menu...
video call

sim card menu...
Curious, do any other smartphones (iPhone, Android, Symbian) offer access to the "sim card menu?"

I'm guessing that Symbian does, but symbian isn't exactly in the same league as the others...