Active Topics

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Our options are C, C++, Perl, Python, GTK, QT, etc..

We speak more languages than the EU and have more bindings than a gimp & bondage factory.

So no more "my language is better than your language" or "my library is better than yours" or "my penis is bigger than yours!".

If you have the motivation then anyone can join in and create stuff.

Its all good - what more do you want?

We can have our cake and eat it..
..and I like cake!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by admiral0 View Post
The question is thae same. Why should i learn another language and do _everything_ in a different way rather than learn some new things and do others as i already know?
Exactly.
I spent a lot of time learning Gtk+, Gobject, GNOME & Freedesktop technologies, now Hildon stack on top of it. Got to love it.

Now you're telling me:
Forget it all! Here's Qt - which is so much better. You need to learn everything again.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post

It makes no sense that you don't like Qt because it uses C++. You know, they actually TEACH C++ at school. If you didn't get it, it is your loss.
I would anytime prefer a C++-based environment. (However, my favourite language of choice would be C#.)

Did you follow the link given by OP? The one about C++ and its properties and the problems that come with it? I'd gladly agree it's a tad biased but it stays technical without getting ranty and it's not a pretty picture that is painted.

There are problems connected to using C++ as the main language for something as central as the preferred toolkit. As simple things as using a debugger can turn incredibly ugly even with moderately sized projects on account of C++, by design, being hard to interpret in object form. That in turn results in harder to debug programs which leads to lower quality code and that's a pain no matter how you look at it.

C++ being taught in schools is not an argument for it being the best choice on a device like the N900.

With that said, Qt might very well be the best choice when it comes to application development but it is, in my opinion, a pity it's implemented in C++.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Our options are C, C++, Perl, Python, GTK, QT, etc..
This is pure theory.

The whole OS is being converted to be Qt based.
Have you ever tried programming for KDE using GNOME technologies? It not only does look out of place, but you are lacking interfaces to the core desktop layer. Unless you code glue in Qt.

Ever tried writing bindings to Qt library? Not a nice job.
While GObject bindings can be autogenerated using gobject-introspection.

Last edited by smoku; 2010-04-20 at 14:27.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Now you're telling me:
Forget it all! Here's Qt - which is so much better. You need to learn everything again.
You're right. We should have never moved beyond batch commands on DOS, CP/M, etc. Heck, writing VAX VMS shell scripts in vi is the ultimate!

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-04-20 at 14:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I personally prefer to develop only in Qt. It simplifies a lot programming.

All the GTK apps i've seen released on here and in ovi look bland outdated and wreak of black and gray.

If Qt /C++ can make apps look better and offer an easier development platform, which judging from demos they will, I'm all for it.

I really don't know why anyone would want to code in C in the year 2010.

This isn't 1995....

Let progress like the rest of the software development world.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Exactly.
I spent a lot of time learning Gtk+, Gobject, GNOME & Freedesktop technologies, now Hildon stack on top of it. Got to love it.

Now you're telling me:
Yes I agree that having to re-learn stuff can be annoying, but coming to Qt without too much prejudice myself, I was actually amazed how easy and useful it was. Most of the arguments agains Qt seem to come down just to this - "can't/don't want to spend time learning anything new".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You're right. We should have never moved beyond batch comands on DOS, CP/M, etc. Heck, writing VAX VMS shell scripts in vi is the ultimate!

F*** it! I'm going back to punch cards.

This is pure theory.

The whole OS is being converted to be Qt based.
Have you ever tried programming for KDE using GNOME technologies? It not only does look out of place, but you are lacking interfaces to the core desktop layer. Unless you code glue in Qt.

Ever tried writing bindings to Qt library? Not a nice job.
While GObject bindings can be autogenerated using gobject-introspection.
Those highlighted sentences are utterly insane.

I was going to refute those arguments but I do not want to be drawn into a holy war.

What I like about maego, meego & n900 is the desktop/library is not the star - it is the applications.

Until now it was refreshing not to hear about the whole "gtk vs qt"/"gnome vs kde" arguments again.

People have enormous choice in how they want to write software for the n900. Many different aspects of knowledge is brought to the table because different people use different languages.

These technologies are tools.

But you had to open your big f***ing mouth and complain about it and the ugly-warty head of "gnome vs kde"/"gtk vs qt" rears it's ******ed drooling head again.

Thanks for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:

Tags
flamewar ftw, gtk ftw, gtk is simpler, gtk+, ide religion, maemo5, misguided rant, n gtk support, no qt, pointless, qt ftw, qt is simple, qt=not cute, stupid fud, trollparty