After owning all of the Nokia Internet Tablets and many of the Nokia cellphones I purchased a Apple 3GS Iphone about a year ago.

My one year with Apple has been flawless and no OS issues what so ever, only if the company would inject Flash and an FM receiver and little better battery life it would be an excellent device. With this said my unit is now on Ebay and looking for the Nokia N900 experience.

My only concern is all of the bugs and issues I read here on this different forums, for my employment I NEED a dependable phone! any input would be helpful before a plunk down 500.00 big ones...

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
i highly recommend the n900. It really is like having a mini netbook in your pocket with phone functionality(some might have an opinion of the level of functionality). With that being said, YOU WILL ENCOUNTER BUGS. If you understand that and am willing to hang tight until Maemo 5 matures a bit, which could be pr 1.2 or 1.3. or whatever, I think you will come away satisfied.

The Following User Says Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post:
In my mind the main thing that would deter you is the truly limited battery life. The N900 is so usable that all your expectations are immediately reset higher - I am personally caught with expecting my N900 to perform as well as this laptop I am using now running Ubuntu 9.10.

The N900 cannot do that and the main reason is that the battery dies very quickly (3-4 hours) when using it as a super portable laptop.

There are also quite a few bugs that make some basic things frustrating or crippled - two that annoy me the most right now are the bugged bluetooth file transfer, and limited sharing via Picasa.

Also keep in mind that Ovi suite does not support N900... version 2.2 of Ovi suite is in testing now and that will support the N900, when it is done.

V.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
From what I've read on these boards, If you've had Tablets, you should do fine with the N900. The community is really helpful, but rough edges do show.

The current wait for PR1.2 is particularly bothersome, as it feels like everyone is waiting for that before pushing forward. That said, My N900 is quite powerful as is. It's not like anything stops working without updates.

I have no problem with battery life. I bought 2 spares 10-12 weeks ago {they're very small in a pocket) and only fully drained a battery a handful of times since. I haven't needed the 3rd yet.

Originally Posted by mdanehart View Post
My only concern is all of the bugs and issues I read here on this different forums, for my employment I NEED a dependable phone! any input would be helpful before a plunk down 500.00 big ones...
If you NEED a dependable phone, i personally would stay away from the N900... Some people have complained about the call quality not very good. I have nightmares when calling most of the time...
also consider battery life...
I bought a Nokia 1661 for calls nowadays

Well it seems like all cellphones/smartphones have issues including the calls dropped by my former Iphone,

But At&T I understand will not support 3G, only edge! So I have to 50.00 a month for dial-up speeds?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I would say that the phone itself is dependable, and works great. The battery life is also decent, given the phone (it gets me through the school/work day with reasonably-heavy-but-sporadic mixed usage (no calls), and would last well into the evening; I can't tell you exactly how long because I tend to use it a lot more in the evening, and thus stick back on the charger around dinner time just in case).

I think, as was already expressed, that you're more likely to be disappointed because it's so awesome that you expect it to be even more awesome. :P Also, as long as you can resist the temptation to try all the latest-and-greatest-but-still-in-alpha applications announced on the forums, it should be quite stable. I, however, cannot resist that temptation. As long as you don't add the Extras-devel catalogue, you should be safe. I've found Extras-testing to be fairly safe, too.
If you've had an N810, I think you'll be happy. I still <3 my N810, but my N900 makes it look like a toy.
To give you a few examples of how awesome it is:
- I've used it as my primary computer for almost a month when my desktop's motherboard was shot, and it was sufficient
- While attending a corporate event where I was expected to do a demo on an app that wasn't quite finished, I finished writing and testing the app on the phone itself, in the presentation room (well, okay, technically I used the phone as a remote to my friend's server, which did the heavy lifting, but still...)
- I have Wikipedia on my phone. Yes, all of it.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
If you NEED a dependable phone, i personally would stay away from the N900... Some people have complained about the call quality not very good. I have nightmares when calling most of the time...
also consider battery life...
I bought a Nokia 1661 for calls nowadays
Man, I guess I am going to have to confuse the OP by saying that I am not experiencing with ANY problems when it comes to phone call quality... I use regular cellular calls and Skype.. etc.. I have not experienced any low quality calls.. Battery life is ok, as it lasts as advertised and sometimes even more...

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Keep your iPhone mate. You'll be sorry if you get an N900. Sold mine yesterday and been on an iPhone a week now and loving it.

If it's not broken don't fix it.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
N900 is dependable.
calls quality is fine. no issues.
great integrated chat software.
fantastic support from this forum.
full internet experience.
great support for multimedias of all types.

get it.

Tags
berty fly away