I wanna run symbian apps, like google maps, with full support for GPS and internets, plus make easy migration from symbian > maemo/meego

this would be epic. I wonder since nokia pretty much runs symbian, and the n900 would be epic if they could do this

I do not want hurt you, but I really do not understand.
I have an N900, an openmoko freerunner, an ipaq with angstrom, 3 linux box at office and at home, 2 wifi hotspots with openwrt becouse I'll never need symbian/microsoft/mac applications and prefer too much to hack my hardware and software.

I have a DSL at home with a flat landline voip plan and 10 free sms/day that are possibile only when I'm connected to my home router.
I work very far during the week, installed a 5 euro device on my home network with openvpn server, installed openvpn client on my n900, played with a patched asterisk (as my dsl provider does not follow a standard sip protocool) and played two night to have me use with the n900 my voip landline flat plan and send free sms while traveling over the world.

I'm happy with that, and If I need other things, like symbian games, iphone apps, and so on I simply buy a different (and less expensive) device and not waiting years for someone writing an emulator, layer, virtualization system for the n900.

So instead of asking about that, I prefer to bother nokia to fully open any specs on the n900 ))

Cheers

Niko

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Venezuela
Originally Posted by nicola.mfb View Post
I do not want hurt you, but I really do not understand.
I have an N900, an openmoko freerunner, an ipaq with angstrom, 3 linux box at office and at home, 2 wifi hotspots with openwrt becouse I'll never need symbian/microsoft/mac applications and prefer too much to hack my hardware and software.

I have a DSL at home with a flat landline voip plan and 10 free sms/day that are possibile only when I'm connected to my home router.
I work very far during the week, installed a 5 euro device on my home network with openvpn server, installed openvpn client on my n900, played with a patched asterisk (as my dsl provider does not follow a standard sip protocool) and played two night to have me use with the n900 my voip landline flat plan and send free sms while traveling over the world.

I'm happy with that, and If I need other things, like symbian games, iphone apps, and so on I simply buy a different (and less expensive) device and not waiting years for someone writing an emulator, layer, virtualization system for the n900.

So instead of asking about that, I prefer to bother nokia to fully open any specs on the n900 ))

Cheers

Niko
what are you talking about? :s who said anything about voips? or anything, this is a topic about GAMES, one aspect our maemo is seriously failing, i don't like apple fan boys, because they can't accept that iphone isn't that great, but you're doing just the same thing, maemo is light years behind apple/symbian gaming wise, our top game is what? angry birds? ...just check any symbian app page, like mobi11 and see the games section, and you'll realize your missing something....i love my n900 but i can't just obviate that aspect just because.....

I had an N97 and i sold it out to buy an N900, and I don't regret it AT ALL...is the best phone/tablet/hybrid/whatever-you-want-to-call-it I'd ever had.

But... there were some apps that, even with all the problems the N97 had/have, made it not so unusable and I haven't found any as good as those (some are very close, yes, but not nearly there).

OMWeather for N900 is great, it really is, but I liked Accuweather a lot better (I found it extremely accurate and the "reel feel" feature was amazing).

Also, the N97 English Dictionary App (I'm not talking about the T9 or anything related with SMS, but a Dictionary App supported by Nokia) was awesome and I used it a lot, as English is not my first language, and I miss something like that in the N900, I tried a couple of Dictionary Apps and frankly they suck.

So, yes, I'm in for either a Symbian emulator or an official Maemo version of those apps.

Maybe you could set up a Symbian emulator on your computer and connect to it via VNC. =B

if have this software our n900 sure got many function!

wish...

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Hmm.. This would be interesting! I second that if possible..

wish nokia can do this...haha

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Wow.

Everybody loves mameo.

But to have funcionality someone would want on the device Ubuntu... some other symbian... some other iphone OS, some other android... some other windows mobile...

Something is really wrong with the software on this device and it isn't his wonderful comunity. This comunity.

Nokia would take note.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The following threads have been merged to form this thread:
  • "[SUGGESTION] Emulator for Symbian Apps" with two posts
  • "symbian on N900" with six posts
  • "Is Possible an emulator for Symbian Games?" with ten posts
  • "symbian os ON Maemo... Any appourtonity!" with seventeen posts
  • "Can do a Symbian Simulator for N900 ?" with four posts

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: