Active Topics

Originally Posted by KurrentEweser View Post
It could be an FCC(and/or EU equivalent) rule to disable or reduce the power of such transmitters. Because the charger lead will act as an antenna. They only want the signal to go a few feet not a few hundred feet.
That is exactly the case. FM boost works nicely. Start fm transmitter, plug in phone THEN start fm boost. The idea is the the phone automatically reduces fm transmitter power when anything is plugged into USB. So you need to start fm boost after EACH time you plug in USB cable

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
fm boost needs to be run after switching on fm transmitter and after plugging in charger.

Plugging in charger, removing charger, or switching fm transmitter on/off will nullify fm boost's changes.
Thanks. Just tried that in my car and confirmed that's how to use it.
Now, it makes more sense to use the FM transmitter in car and also keep charging it.

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Hmmm.. interestingly I went to the car tonight and the fmTransmitter worked fine for the whole journey home with the charger plugged in... I think I did the following:

Plugged car into charger as I had a call to make
After I'd made call I thought I'd see if I could start fmTransmitter so used Simple FMTX desktop widget to sitch it on and that automatically started fmBoost, then started Media box and all was fine! Hopefully all will continue to work in this way....

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
actually, I'm confused about how to use fm boost.
Is it activated after installaton?
or do I need to run it from the menu?
looks like it starts the xterminal and run some script and exit
should I run it before turning on transmitter?
or run it after turning on the transmitter?
do I need to run it everytime after turning on the transmitter?
You need to use fm boost after you run the fm transmitter program. You need to run it everytime. If you run another application or take a call you must use the fm boost program. It runs some script that makes the transmitters transmit at its highest power. It is tuned down by Nokia for some reason. Everytime you run transmitter and the signal is weak run the fm boost program. Just place a shortcut on the desktop and after you plug in the car charger, if you use one. The fm boost is the last thing you want to do before you put the phone down. You will see when you need to run it again and when not to. Just try it. It works well in Chicago in the city on the northside to the southside on 98.3. That is the station I use about 90% of the time. Sometimes when around big metal structures you get interference.

The Following User Says Thank You to gom4381 For This Useful Post:
Hi All,

My Brodit cradle & proclip arrived yesterday and I had the exact same problem. Simply wouldn't work whilst charging, I could have music and transmitter on and the second I unplugged it from my charge it worked like a charm. But plug it back in and it stopped!

I've just installed FM Boost, and already use the FM ON/OFF widget. So when I use the widget to turn the FM on or off will it automatically run FM Boost?

I'm gonna give it a go again this evening and let you know how I get on.

Thanks,
Dex

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
Hi All,

My Brodit cradle & proclip arrived yesterday and I had the exact same problem. Simply wouldn't work whilst charging, I could have music and transmitter on and the second I unplugged it from my charge it worked like a charm. But plug it back in and it stopped!

I've just installed FM Boost, and already use the FM ON/OFF widget. So when I use the widget to turn the FM on or off will it automatically run FM Boost?

I'm gonna give it a go again this evening and let you know how I get on.

Thanks,
Dex
Only if you configure the widget and tick the box to do so.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Right I sorted the widget to use FM Boost.

I plugged my N900 into the brodit charger, clicked the widget on my desktop and played some music, worked a charm.

Then I tested making a call, which naturally paused the music.

When I ended the call I used the widget to turn off the FM Transmitter and turn it back on again, then tried to play the music again. But couldn't get it working again!

Seems a bit hit & miss!

i got it as well.. but a bit extra on top of those bugs (might be just my charger) once i plug it inside the car's charger it won't let me run the FM Transmitter saying "USB device connected" after i plug it out i cannot run FM Transmitter as well due to same msg..

before i solder the charger into the car's 12V switch i noticed something else was off when i would take it out the phone would appear charging while the 12V input was in air.. so it does look cool to charge a phone out of thin air but something is seriously wrong..

any ideas?

Posts: 195 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vancouver, Canada
Originally Posted by Weedalot View Post
i got it as well.. but a bit extra on top of those bugs (might be just my charger) once i plug it inside the car's charger it won't let me run the FM Transmitter saying "USB device connected" after i plug it out i cannot run FM Transmitter as well due to same msg..

before i solder the charger into the car's 12V switch i noticed something else was off when i would take it out the phone would appear charging while the 12V input was in air.. so it does look cool to charge a phone out of thin air but something is seriously wrong..

any ideas?
download FM Boost

got it had it and the post above is the result