Notices

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pompey, UK
Fantastic app, thank you very much Slocan.

If you can get auto update working with just the widget running then it will be perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to gordonshowers For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
0.6.1-0 in Extras-devel now (once it gets built), which mostly brings the autoupdate to the widget. Note that autoupdate in the app and in the widget are independent, it's best not to enable both at once (I'll probably add something to prevent that, but for now it is still possible).
Also "FeedingIt update" does not open the app anymore (neither does the widget autoupdate).
The top of the widget has a button with some info, but it's mostly unreadable for now. It has not been tested all that much, so let me know if you encounter any weirdness or issues. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
0.6.1-0 in Extras-devel now (once it gets built), which mostly brings the autoupdate to the widget. Note that autoupdate in the app and in the widget are independent, it's best not to enable both at once (I'll probably add something to prevent that, but for now it is still possible).
Also "FeedingIt update" does not open the app anymore (neither does the widget autoupdate).
The top of the widget has a button with some info, but it's mostly unreadable for now. It has not been tested all that much, so let me know if you encounter any weirdness or issues. Thanks.
Fantastic, I have installed the update. It looks like you have given us two ways to do the same thing if we use Alarmed to trigger a 'feedingit update' command. I will try them and let you know how they work.

Cheers,
Fred

Edited in: I haven't been able to tell yet if updating from the widget works or not though background updating with 'FeddingIt update' does work. However, double tapping on a feed in the widget does not launch FeedingIt in this release. I hope that can be fixed.

Last edited by ffarber; 2010-04-19 at 01:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to ffarber For This Useful Post:
Just had an interesting problem. I have an alarmed command to do a 'FeedinIt update' command at specific times. Last time I ran it I did not have a network connection., FeedingIt went into a state of thinking it was doing an update perpetually. I typed this command into xtermianl:

rm /home/user/feedingit/update.lock

This removed the update state and FeedingIt is running correctly again.

Fred

The Following User Says Thank You to ffarber For This Useful Post:
For problems related to updating and connections through proxy's there is an solution for it. It is applicable for 3g connections by KPN (dutch telco provider).

If you are fairly savy with your phone, can you edit the file /opt/FeedingIt/config.py , on line 197, and change it from:
return (True, proxy)
to:
#return (True, proxy)

After that FeedingIt is able to update through wifi and 3g.
I got this hint from Slocan (thanks for that again), I'm not exactlly sure what function is hashed out, but it works... Maybe Slocan can enlighten us?

The Following User Says Thank You to cisqo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by cisqo View Post
For problems related to updating and connections through proxy's there is an solution for it. It is applicable for 3g connections by KPN (dutch telco provider).

If you are fairly savy with your phone, can you edit the file /opt/FeedingIt/config.py , on line 197, and change it from:
return (True, proxy)
to:
#return (True, proxy)

After that FeedingIt is able to update through wifi and 3g.
I got this hint from Slocan (thanks for that again), I'm not exactlly sure what function is hashed out, but it works... Maybe Slocan can enlighten us?
Your 3G connection has a proxy server defined, which FeedingIt normally checks for and uses (in some cases, ISPs will block anything not going through their proxy). By commenting it out, FeedingIt will think there isn't a proxy server defined and will connect directly instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
@ffarber: thanks for your feedback I'll have an improved version out in the next few days.

@cisqo,Rob1n: That's right, commenting that line disables the use of the proxy settings that were defined by the 3G connection. I have no idea why the phone would report a proxy is enabled, yet not allow connections through. I'm adding a setting in the preferences menu to disable proxy settings if needed.

@ffarber: thanks for your feedback I'll have an improved version out in the next few days.
Slocan-

Thanks, I figured you were taking a few deserved days off

I am hoping you can reinstate the 'click in widget' functionality. The problem about updating int he background locking up the application is less important to me but may be more of an issue for others.

Thanks again!

Fred

My days off is when I can get working on it and publish updates, so not sure I can call the past week as "days off" . But they were indeed filled with non-maemo stuff.

For tonight, and tomorrow, I've got this on my to-do list:
- proxy setting in the menu
- fix the double-click on the widget, and the color scheme of the top button
- better locking between widget and app for updates (and recovery when something happens)

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
My days off is when I can get working on it and publish updates, so not sure I can call the past week as "days off" . But they were indeed filled with non-maemo stuff.

For tonight, and tomorrow, I've got this on my to-do list:
- proxy setting in the menu
- fix the double-click on the widget, and the color scheme of the top button
- better locking between widget and app for updates (and recovery when something happens)
Can you add this text tag fix?

dash (m-dash?) is rendering as & # 8 2 1 2 ;

Thx.