Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by ysss View Post

ZTE pair-up seems to be a match made in heaven. ZTE is a gargantuan network company with a ****load of mobile phones running who-knows-what OS...
ZTE is also growing very fast. Recently passed both Motorola and Sony Ericsson on handset marketshare. Smartphone OS would be just what they need and they certainly have enough money to buy Palm.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
ZTE is also growing very fast. Recently passed both Motorola and Sony Ericsson on handset marketshare. Smartphone OS would be just what they need and they certainly have enough money to buy Palm.
I didn't mean they don't have money to buy Palm. I was referring to Palm being steered by Elevation partner (which is a private equity firm), which may put out a price way above its fair market value knowing there are companies like ZTE out there to court (big pockets and wanting).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Palm as a company is way overpriced.

The only bits worth buying are the patents (depending how much are actually licensed).

Time and time again Palm have screwed up.
How many times have Palm restructured?

Palm will probably be sold for the fraction of the price.

If they are sold for the asking price then I'm afraid a few investors will lose alot of money (if they haven't already).

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Palm as a company is way overpriced.
Palm's market cap has allready dropped below 900 million dollars.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
How many times have Palm restructured?
lets see, first there was palm.

then palm started licencing their palmos to third parties.

then said third parties starting to question the correctness of being in competition on hardware while palm was selling them the software, so palm split in two (palmone, palmsource).

next palmsource gets bought by access while palmone regains the name palm.

that palm is now the palm thats having trouble staying afloat.

funny thing is, palmsource had a new palmos ready back when microsoft first got into the pda business with pocketpc. But noone wanted to use it, as it was not backwards compatible with the existing palmos. And the reason there was that the existing palmos (garnet) had such a portfolio of third party software available.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Palm have great software, need a bit of help on the hardware front. Nokia is almost the opposite of that, but have too much invested in Symbian anyway to consider a purchase. HTC must be in with a shout, but I'd like them to continue focussing on their Android hardware. Whoever buys them will get a huge amount of patents and expertise, it certainly will be a valuable acquisition to someone.
Actually, the internals of the Palm Pre Plus are probably currently unbeaten (beside of the screen, of course). It's the inefficient OS, webOS, that slows the device down. Try running some 3D games on a Snapdragon, and you'll get my point. Only when HTC decides to ditch that common snappy their hardware will have a shot at running such an inefficient OS as webOS.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
HTC shot them down. Now to the rescue... Lenovo???

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/23/tech...palm/index.htm

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I've seen plenty of apple fanboys (rabid), nokia fanboys (rabid), android fanboys (they seem to be somewhat milder) but not much of palm fanboys if at all. Do they not stray off from their herd or their numbers are really very small to matter?

It seems that not many people care about palm and will miss them if they just disappear.

disclaimer: I used to be a palm fanboy.

I was a palm pda guy (palm III, visor plus, sony n73, zodiac) before being heavy treo user (600-650-680)... then they turned me off when they took up (sold out to?) windows mobile and their treo development was left stagnant with rehashes after rehashes.

By that time other platforms were springing out (iphone) or coming onto their own (bb, as something more than enterprise devices) and I've moved on and never cared about Palm anymore.

Foleo didn't help.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-04-27 at 16:34.

I like my palm pre, but I like my n900 even better. it'd be sad to see palm die nonetheless.
btw, I'd really like to see some touch stone-like charger for the n900.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridge UK
I wanted a Pre.. but the hardware felt too flimsy, and the only UK carrier was charging an arm and a leg.. Win for the N900, ...WebOS on the N900.. that would turn some heads.