Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

I'm glad both ulv kernels are running smooth on my n900.

Since flashing from N900 xterminal I only get "-40" from temp1.
I tried the kernel with 825 and 900MHz, but II always get "-40" from temp1.

just an update: lehto's undervolting 800mhz overclock works! i had to disable smartreflex for the n900 to boot.

ps: any thoughts on the power savings of undervoltage vs smartreflex? seems like if i want undervoltage i have to turn off smartreflex, which one would give better battery life?

The Following User Says Thank You to thelushlife For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by thelushlife View Post
just an update: lehto's undervolting 800mhz overclock works! i had to disable smartreflex for the n900 to boot.

ps: any thoughts on the power savings of undervoltage vs smartreflex? seems like if i want undervoltage i have to turn off smartreflex, which one would give better battery life?
Thoughts on it are all i have because i haven't had time to try either yet. I think you'll find a permanent undervolt is more efficient, if your phone can handle it, and you don't have to worry about Reflex's known problems (it's still not enabled by default because it causes reboots for some people). That said, i don't know what method Reflex uses to achieve its savings, only that it "is customized per device" in some way to take advantage of the capabilities of an individual bit of hardware. In essence, that's what you're doing (manually) by testing out different low voltages to find which one works stably on your phone. CPU power consumption goes with the square of the voltage so decreasing that is generally the most substantial way to directly decrease power consumption.

Blah blah blah...if/when i learn anything that lends more data and less thoughts on the matter, i'll share.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Thoughts on it are all i have because i haven't had time to try either yet. I think you'll find a permanent undervolt is more efficient, if your phone can handle it, and you don't have to worry about Reflex's known problems (it's still not enabled by default because it causes reboots for some people). That said, i don't know what method Reflex uses to achieve its savings, only that it "is customized per device" in some way to take advantage of the capabilities of an individual bit of hardware. In essence, that's what you're doing (manually) by testing out different low voltages to find which one works stably on your phone. CPU power consumption goes with the square of the voltage so decreasing that is generally the most substantial way to directly decrease power consumption.

Blah blah blah...if/when i learn anything that lends more data and less thoughts on the matter, i'll share.
thanks Flandry. my thoughts are similar, undervolting > smartreflex in terms of power consumption savings. well when you do have the time, i'm sure you'll see appreciable quickness on the device.

technically, i shouldn't have the time to muck around with o/c kernels since i have a final research paper due! oh well, my haphazard prioritisation at work,

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
SmartReflex will lower voltage dynamically. Dynamic MHz + dynamic voltage = better battery life.

I'm trying to Use the kernel TITAN.
I have no idea how to do it properly.

Where should I put this code?

"Code:
wget http://maemory.com/N900/overclock/ke...mo20_armel.deb
dpkg-i kernel-m *
dpkg-i kernel-f *
halt "

which file should I download?
Need flash-kernel 3.5 for Putting on the N900?

Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
SmartReflex will lower voltage dynamically. Dynamic MHz + dynamic voltage = better battery life.
Isn't dynamic Mhz + always low voltage better ?

@maykon:
That 'code' is the list of steps that you should do at the command line. Open an xterm, become root, enter all 6 lines exactly as specified.

But you should be aware of all the caveats, basically summed up in big letters on this page: http://www.saunalahti.fi/crailt/

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by maykon-de-angra View Post
I'm trying to Use the kernel TITAN.
I have no idea how to do it properly.
install kernel-flasher-maemo from extras-devel.
But if you know so little about Linux I think you should not try overclocking your device
because you can seriously damage your N900 if you don't know what you're doing.

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom