understanding can give these links a look:

1) http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Android

2) http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Android_usage

3) http://code.google.com/p/android-on-freerunner/

Hope the information proves useful, and helps in getting a proper
Android build on the N900.

Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
ok time for some big info methinks..

ive just uploaded a rootfs and kernel image (via a 3g connction since my broadband router decided to crash earlier)

links below
http://www.loadsofspace.net/nitdroid...s-djsteve.tbz2 << root Filesystem

http://www.loadsofspace.net/nitdroid/zImage
<< kernel image for the above.

PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS NOT A TOTALLY USABLE SYSTEM AS A LOT OF THINGS DO NOT WORK
i am releasing it purely as a development tool and to show my current progress.

Current Status:
Android Eclair 2.1R1 based, modified init files to allow dsp controller init
WiFI and bluetooth NOT working currently - wifi module will load but the calibration tool gives me errors < looking for ideas /help on that
modifed status bar toremove network signal icon,
lcd density set to 120 as it is a better size for the screen resolution in my opinion
battery NOT detected/charging as yet (due to major code changes between donut and eclair - also why everythign else has broken )
swap is autoenabled on boot using a seperate sd partition(see below)
disabled the default voldsdcard mounting and reverted to mountd as it seems to work better
sdcard is detected and mounted

quick howto flash below as this is VERY different from the orig nitdroid info

2gb minimum memory card is recommended due to partitioning i have setup

HOW-TO:
1. download above files to a workign folder.
2. load up your favourite disk partitionign tool and partition the sd card as follows

example below is for my 8gb card

Code:
primary partition 1 = 1.43gb win95 lba type (vfat)
pri partition 2 = 1.86gb linux swap 
pri partition 3 = 1.86gb linux (ext3)
pri partition 4 = 2.48gb linux (ext3)
format the above partitions as needed. parts 3 and 4 MUST be ext 3 as kernel does not have ext2 support currently

4. mount partition 3 as the root partition (for me using command mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt )

5. create the data folder (mkdir /mnt/data) and mount partition 4 on it (mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt/data)

6. extract the rootfs to the root and it should place files into the correct folders.

7. unmount both partitions as they are now finished with.

8. if you havent already grab the nokia flasher tool (search the forums for linK)

9. run the command
Code:
./flasher-3.0-static -f -k zImage --enable-rd-mode -R
assuming you put flasher in same folder as zimage.

IMPORTANT: WHEN DEVICE REBOOTS AFTER FLASH PULL THE BATTERY AND PUT IT BACK IN AND BOOT AS THE KERNEL WILL PANIC IF YOU DONT
also the boot does take time as i have kernel set to boot direct to sd card but the mmc driver in linux-omap sucks so i have to delay boot for 5 secs to let the sd get detected. on the n800 the sd card must go in the ext slot and must be no card in the internal one

hopefully thats good enough to understand

any ideas, suggestions etc welcome, especially on how to get the wifi to work.
also kernel and android both have alsa support built in, but i cannot persuade the alsa-dsp module to load so i doubt sound will work (could possibly be persuaded to on the n810 with correct asound.conf as the n810 has direct access to the sound codec unlike 800) - feel freeto look though

system seems to run fairly well and pretty stable for the most part. usually calender storage does crash though on boot.
I only have an N900 and it's the first Nokia product that I have ever owned so this info is irrelevant to me at this time but I just want to say that your work is impressive and interesting to follow.
Well done on your achievements to far! I'm sure many users of N800 and N810 will be very pleased to be able to extend the life of their devices by loading future releases of your Android rom and as an N900 user, I look forward to what is to come for N900.

I believe that your experiences with Android 2.1 on N800/N810 will make the process of porting Android to N900 faster and easier.

Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to byte_76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
Originally Posted by byte_76 View Post
I only have an N900 and it's the first Nokia product that I have ever owned so this info is irrelevant to me at this time but I just want to say that your work is impressive and interesting to follow.
Well done on your achievements to far! I'm sure many users of N800 and N810 will be very pleased to be able to extend the life of their devices by loading future releases of your Android rom and as an N900 user, I look forward to what is to come for N900.

I believe that your experiences with Android 2.1 on N800/N810 will make the process of porting Android to N900 faster and easier.

Thanks!
Really could not say that better myself am really looking forward to n900 development though when I get mine

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
{QUOTE}HOW-TO:
1. download above files to a workign folder.
2. load up your favourite disk partitionign tool and partition the sd card as follows

example below is for my 8gb card

Code:
primary partition 1 = 1.43gb win95 lba type (vfat)
pri partition 2 = 1.86gb linux swap 
pri partition 3 = 1.86gb linux (ext3)
pri partition 4 = 2.48gb linux (ext3)
format the above partitions as needed. parts 3 and 4 MUST be ext 3 as kernel does not have ext2 support currently

4. mount partition 3 as the root partition (for me using command mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt )

5. create the data folder (mkdir /mnt/data) and mount partition 4 on it (mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt/data)

6. extract the rootfs to the root and it should place files into the correct folders.

7. unmount both partitions as they are now finished with.

8. if you havent already grab the nokia flasher tool (search the forums for linK)

9. run the command
Code:
./flasher-3.0-static -f -k zImage --enable-rd-mode -R
assuming you put flasher in same folder as zimage.

also the boot does take time as i have kernel set to boot direct to sd card but the mmc driver in linux-omap sucks so i have to delay boot for 5 secs to let the sd get detected. on the n800 the sd card must go in the ext slot and must be no card in the internal one

hopefully thats good enough to understand

any ideas, suggestions etc welcome, especially on how to get the wifi to work.
[/QUOTE]

I think I may have done summat wrong somewhere.

downloaded the files.
created 4 partitions on a 4GB SD card.
mounted partition 3 as /media/root
mounted partition 4 as /media/root/data
extracted the root image and extracted to /media/root
flashed N800
removed internal card, inserted 4GB card into ext slot.

boots so far, but then I just get repeating errors...
init: cannot execve('/system/bin/mediaserver'): Permission denied
init: cannot execve('/system/bin/dbus-daemon'): Permission denied

I have repeated the process a couple of time, but cannot work out what I am doing wrong!

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Ottawa, Canada
Steve, what's the status on some of the Android applications and their functionality? Have you tried out a couple applications, and if so... how well do they run on the N800?

I'm not the greatest with the technical bits of flashing a new OS to my N810, but I'm really looking forward to getting a newer, more polished OS than Diablo or Mer. I'll definitely give this a shot when you can get the sound and wifi working. Keep up the good work!

gazza_d, run chmod 755 * in .system/bin that should solve the issue (do it for /system/etc aswell just to be safe ) - feel free to throw me a PM if you still have issues as its quite likely just some stupid permissions issue (linux is rather b*tchy in that respect - but it sure as hell makes it bomb proof to run as i found out when i decided to accidently delete the /lib folder on my build box and it still workd slightly )

TheHman
i have the Gapps inbuild on my donut build but get LOADS of force closes currently (which could just be down to the fact theirs no network connectivity for said apps due to wifi being borked). though considering my n800 is runing android with its normal ram + ~2gb of swap on a class 6 sd card id suspect fairly quick is the word

ive gone back to donut for moment since eclair is going to be a achallenge and a half becuase of all the changes and realisticly i think 1.6 is more likely to be usable for the n8x0 series, eclair is more for n900 with its hw3d and the likes.

currently building a modded donut which may give me camera support aswell as to try and get the wifi to run again

Last edited by dj_steve; 2010-04-07 at 21:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
quick update; i have wifi working now but touch screen is not calibrated properly by looks of it so having problems typing my wep key

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
screen calibration should be an android software option no?

*edit any luck with webcam?

wbcam no, i do have v4l2 support in android just gotta get indroid itself to work with it (not so easy)

and since android is primarily targeted at capacitive touchscreens(which dont need calibrating) its not a standard part of the os

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread