Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Originally Posted by Lehto View Post
Try with faster DSP and report back if you could? If I guess correctly the DSP might be do some of the video recorders jobs.
Like i said, i'm running the 900mhz with OC DSP 500mhz. Still stuttering

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
I'm trying to get my system info back and I have an issue. I did look for the currently installed one via dpkg -l and it looks I need the generic-pr version. Fully consistent with my global firmware I guess.

But when I try to reinstall that package, it tells me "Reinstallation of mp-fremantle-generic-mp is not possible, it cannot be downloaded."

I have all my catalogs enabled, including the Nokia Applications and Nokia System Software Updates ones.

Can anyone shed some light on this ? Maybe someone can attach the PR1.1.1 version .deb for that package here if that's the only (non full flash) solution ?

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by thecube View Post
ok that means I can overclock it and if something goes wrong flash it the original kernel and send it for repairing to nokia
No, because

a) it would be nasty
b) you would not be able to flash a dead device
c) you wouldn't do that anyway as it would be nastty, right?

Corwin

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If I can help with anything else, just ask! Please click 'Thanks!' if this post was helpful.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brasov, Romania
Originally Posted by nokian-series View Post
One good test to those who want to see visible OC changes, is to install ENNA (like a media center for those who dont know..i think lol).

Booting speed; Gallery Scrooling..Wow, what a difference between the 600 Mhz and 900 Mhz.

Still thinking to test the 900 Mhz with 500 DSP..but there are no much comments about it..i'm afraiiddddddd ahahahaha : )

Regards,
900 Mhz with 500 DSP, here, from 48 hours. Very stable, you should trie ...

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
As much as I admire the efforts and hacking per se - please be careful, do not exaggerate it. And - in case the device is broken - no whining

Tried the 900MHz Kernel myself for half an hour - might be snappier, but was not so much that I would have stayed with it

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If I can help with anything else, just ask! Please click 'Thanks!' if this post was helpful.

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 327 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
ok that means I can overclock it and if something goes wrong flash it the original kernel and send it for repairing to nokia
Heres my thoughts.
People like you should stick to the stock kernels! Theres no way in hell anybody who breaks their device with overclocking should send it to warranty, for the following reasons:

1. If you break the device, you cant flash stock kernel back in.
2. At nokia service they will see that your using non-stock kernel and then figure out its an OC kernel one
2b. At which point they will just send the device back along with a propable bill for wasting their time with a device you broke yourself!
3. Its not right thing to do. Say I buy a new car, then I put in my own tuning fuels and oils, which make the car go faster for a moment but then engine breaks. Do you think it goes to warranty?

So there you have it. I didnt write the warranty void texts there just for fun! People... THINK before you flash any of these in your device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lehto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
You'd 99% likely get away with this.
Edit: update - if you've got to ask questions like this though you shouldn't be o/cing your n900. "someone on the forum said i'd likely get away with it" will not cut mustard. if the phone is burnt out nokia will not be able to check the firmware and it will just be cheaper for them to send you a brand new one...

Unless loads of idiots start doing it...

...queue 1 week later and every thread on TMO is about how to repair a burnout N900
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Last edited by cashclientel; 2010-04-06 at 11:52.

I think of you guys are not understanding the implications that come with overclocking.
Some do not care about CPU life span (bit like me) But if you run a application which max out the cpu then the phone will get really hot and may damange other components near it and including the phone's housing.

I pretty sure 900mhz is stable but when at load there is a lot of heat and battery goes fast, saying that when the phone is in normal use, web/music/calls it seems to be better with battery life with 125mhz range

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
There is a new stable overclockable kernel in extras-testing (version 2.6.28-maemo19, not 18!!).
Installation is very simple: install the package kernel-flasher-maemo (section system in HAM), shutdown and cold boot. There's no need for reflashing etc.
It requires firmware PR1.1 or newer.

The default limit is at stable 600MHz. This is the same setting as the stock kernel and is safe.

This kernel makes it possible dynamically change the maximum frequency up to 1.2GHz (supported frequencies are 250,500,550,600,700,750,800,850,900,950,1000,1100, 1200MHz)
WARNING: Overclocking may damage your device and is at your own risk! It may void your warranty and destroy your data. You have been warned.
You can manually increase the limit until your device fries using, e.g. for 600MHz
Code:
sudo gainroot
echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
The last line shows which value was actually set.
This setting takes effect immediately and is cleared with the next reboot or overriden by
every phone call with the value 600MHz.
To permanently fix a limit you found to be stable edit the scaling_max_freq setting in /etc/pmconfig (e.g., using vi)
and either install the new kernel http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1890
or implement the workaround http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1722
WARNING: Permanent overclocking is very dangerous!

Apart from overclocking, this kernel has a lot of other features
(2.6.28.10, PR1.2 SDK patches etc) see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43420
It also retains the version info in Settings -> Product info (if it is still available).
If it works well for you, please vote at
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in....6.28-maemo19/

For deinstallation of this kernel run
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get install --reinstall kernel kernel-flasher
apt-get remove kernel-maemo kernel-modules-maemo
PS: 125MHz is deliberately not included, see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=141

Good luck!

Last edited by titan; 2010-04-09 at 11:21. Reason: 125mhz, reboot, typo, gainroot, PR, checks, v19, phone call issue, uninstall, qwerty12's workaround, new kernel

The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Wellingborough, UK
Originally Posted by torsen View Post
I used the on device fiasco method to clock it up to 900mhz, it took seconds to do and it also retained the 'about' info. Foolproof method, and running nicely so far.
What is the fiasco method?

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom