Closed Thread
Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
ok i have a eclair build booting now 2.1r1 anybody seems to be properly fast to compared to donut, ive also started to try and build source using the android 'MID' policy instead of the phone one as the phone policy is really surplus for the n8x0 series due to them not fully being phones (i.e. the signal bar is always shown and useless)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
A stable android build in which I can install .apk files would make the n900 an almost overnight purchase for me

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
ok i have a eclair build booting now 2.1r1 anybody seems to be properly fast to compared to donut, ive also started to try and build source using the android 'MID' policy instead of the phone one as the phone policy is really surplus for the n8x0 series due to them not fully being phones (i.e. the signal bar is always shown and useless)
As if it weren't obvious... you are the man, dj_steve. Your may n900 purchase can't get here soon enough

Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
As if it weren't obvious... you are the man, dj_steve. Your may n900 purchase can't get here soon enough
lol coding is something i am actualyl decent at - im one of few people who can basicly look at code for a while then understand parts of what it does - very useful ability with android code i decided not to use the mid profile as its stupidly outdated, just modified the android statusbar to remove the network icon *hopefully* anyway.

EDIT/UPDATE: ok edit done and works, no more annoying network icons am uploading a video as i type of the current build. basic for moment

Last edited by dj_steve; 2010-04-05 at 22:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
lol coding is something i am actualyl decent at - im one of few people who can basicly look at code for a while then understand parts of what it does - very useful ability with android code i decided not to use the mid profile as its stupidly outdated, just modified the android statusbar to remove the network icon *hopefully* anyway.

EDIT/UPDATE: ok edit done and works, no more annoying network icons am uploading a video as i type of the current build. basic for moment
Damn, I just can't wait for the N900 build

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Germany
Wow, great progress.
I hope there will be test images soon

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Hi, i'm very interested in running android on the N900, I'm just wondering
if the phone part works or will work?

Originally Posted by farmatito View Post
Hi, i'm very interested in running android on the N900, I'm just wondering
if the phone part works or will work?
at the moment i dont have a N900 so the only progress is what bdog64 posted a few pages back in this thread, once i get my n900 (next month - under 30 days now ) i will be devving for it also so more progress will be seen then

ok time for some big info methinks..

ive just uploaded a rootfs and kernel image (via a 3g connction since my broadband router decided to crash earlier)

links below
http://www.loadsofspace.net/nitdroid...s-djsteve.tbz2 << root Filesystem

http://www.loadsofspace.net/nitdroid/zImage
<< kernel image for the above.

PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS NOT A TOTALLY USABLE SYSTEM AS A LOT OF THINGS DO NOT WORK
i am releasing it purely as a development tool and to show my current progress.

Current Status:
Android Eclair 2.1R1 based, modified init files to allow dsp controller init
WiFI and bluetooth NOT working currently - wifi module will load but the calibration tool gives me errors < looking for ideas /help on that
modifed status bar toremove network signal icon,
lcd density set to 120 as it is a better size for the screen resolution in my opinion
battery NOT detected/charging as yet (due to major code changes between donut and eclair - also why everythign else has broken )
swap is autoenabled on boot using a seperate sd partition(see below)
disabled the default voldsdcard mounting and reverted to mountd as it seems to work better
sdcard is detected and mounted

quick howto flash below as this is VERY different from the orig nitdroid info

2gb minimum memory card is recommended due to partitioning i have setup

HOW-TO:
1. download above files to a workign folder.
2. load up your favourite disk partitionign tool and partition the sd card as follows

example below is for my 8gb card

Code:
primary partition 1 = 1.43gb win95 lba type (vfat)
pri partition 2 = 1.86gb linux swap 
pri partition 3 = 1.86gb linux (ext3)
pri partition 4 = 2.48gb linux (ext3)
format the above partitions as needed. parts 3 and 4 MUST be ext 3 as kernel does not have ext2 support currently

4. mount partition 3 as the root partition (for me using command mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt )

5. create the data folder (mkdir /mnt/data) and mount partition 4 on it (mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt/data)

6. extract the rootfs to the root and it should place files into the correct folders.

7. unmount both partitions as they are now finished with.

8. if you havent already grab the nokia flasher tool (search the forums for linK)

9. run the command
Code:
./flasher-3.0-static -f -k zImage --enable-rd-mode -R
assuming you put flasher in same folder as zimage.

IMPORTANT: WHEN DEVICE REBOOTS AFTER FLASH PULL THE BATTERY AND PUT IT BACK IN AND BOOT AS THE KERNEL WILL PANIC IF YOU DONT
also the boot does take time as i have kernel set to boot direct to sd card but the mmc driver in linux-omap sucks so i have to delay boot for 5 secs to let the sd get detected. on the n800 the sd card must go in the ext slot and must be no card in the internal one

hopefully thats good enough to understand

any ideas, suggestions etc welcome, especially on how to get the wifi to work.
also kernel and android both have alsa support built in, but i cannot persuade the alsa-dsp module to load so i doubt sound will work (could possibly be persuaded to on the n810 with correct asound.conf as the n810 has direct access to the sound codec unlike 800) - feel freeto look though

system seems to run fairly well and pretty stable for the most part. usually calender storage does crash though on boot.

Last edited by dj_steve; 2010-04-06 at 21:51.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread